Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2nd bugeye wrx retrofit. Goodbye oem look. Hello sheet metal & acrylic. (progress pics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

like what your doing there way better than original.

Comment

I definitely like where this is going! Should be interesting to see finished up.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback (rbimdxe, Jeffrey Chen, rollinmda).

@rbimdxe:
        Do you mean the Canary Yellow WRX Club Spec evo4? Nice.
        I thought the glass lens is clear and has no fresnel optics on it (since the low/high beams use the freeform reflector).
        I owned an older GC/GF/GM Impreza platform, and that one had fresnel lens on the outside.
        I'm sure I've seen aftermarket headlights for the GC that has clear polycarbonate lens. For the GC, I'm always partial to the Morette option:
        Unfortunately, retrofitting those would be a challenge because the low & high beams are exposed. You can modify an aftermarket + Morette to look like the STI Electra 1, by transplanting the clear polycarbonate lens of the aftermarket onto the Morettes, or transplanting the Morette's outer shell as the shroud inside the aftermarket.
        Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

Originally posted by rollinmyda View Post
          I definitely like where this is going! Should be interesting to see finished up.
          The last phrase, "finished up", worries me. Everytime I come up to a juncture, I have to spend a considerable amount of time thinking of the pros and cons of the choices. And once it's done, most of them aren't reversible.

Comment

Stray light harvester for the e55r

I noticed that in spite of putting in a foreground limiter shield (pics here), the area behind the shroud is still lit up when the e55r is turned on. See the glowing area behind the shroud?

It would be nice if some of the stray light can be "harvested" to balance out the eyebrow pattern made by the 3 city light LEDs above the e55r. One idea is to have clear acrylic divert some of that stray light to the turn signal reflector area. Yet another point of no return once the holes are cut:

The rectangular hole above is ~1/4"high, to make room for a 1/4"thick acrylic piece like so:

The test acrylic piece sticks out from the e55r's area, extending along the curved arc of the turn signal reflector. The rectangular base serves 2 pusposes. The first is to line up the acrylic with respect to the shroud's inner surface. The second is to collect as much stray light from the e55r. Since thickness is fixed, I tried extending the rectangle as much as possible. The back side is interference limited by the e55r's mounting bracket area. Too much extension to the front will make the rectangular base too visible from the outside; you see this glowing rectangle when staring into the e55r's bright lights.

Comment

That's a cool idea right there!! Dont know how much light it will soak up though...

Comment

Originally posted by TrakTuned View Post
                That's a cool idea right there!! Dont know how much light it will soak up though...
                Thanks. The one limitation I can think of is if it collects too much light (via reflectors built behind the shroud), it might also collect too much heat and create bubbles in the acrylic. I've had this happen to an acrylic piece that touches a filament bulb for a turn signal. It melted the acrylic enough to make large bubbles coalesce, but not deform the overall shape. If that happens to this harvester, the bubbles would form close to the e55r and reduce light entering the turn signal area.

Comment

Test pics of the stray light harvester

Here are test shots with 3000K on the Mini D2S and 4300K on the e55r. Stray light harvester is only "powered" by the e55r.

The first picture (200 ISO, 0.008 sec. exposure) is taken head on but slightly above both the Mini D2S and e55r's low beam cutoff. The LEDs have no visible blue hue in person, but seem to always look blue in my pictures. The 3000K and 4300K looks about right (in pictures vs in person). Not sure how to rectify this picture taking issue.

The second picture is at a similar elevation, but slightly from the side, and half the exposure (0.004, same ISO). You can see the relative intensity of the HIDs, LED and the stray light harvester. The harvester is the dimmest.

I might think about a way to bounce off stray light coming out from the opposite side of the e55r to the harvester's side to increase the intensity a bit. Also, adding holes inside the harvester would redirect some of the light that gets concentrated at the extreme edge (that seems to light up in the 2nd picture) forward. Other ideas?

Comment

More light harvester pics

With the Mini D2S turned off, and a steeper camera angle:

Same as above, plus LEDs turned off:

Comment

Originally posted by satrya View Post
                      Thanks for the feedback (rbimdxe, Jeffrey Chen, rollinmda).

@rbimdxe:
                      Do you mean the Canary Yellow WRX Club Spec evo4? Nice.
                      I thought the glass lens is clear and has no fresnel optics on it (since the low/high beams use the freeform reflector).
                      I owned an older GC/GF/GM Impreza platform, and that one had fresnel lens on the outside.
                      I'm sure I've seen aftermarket headlights for the GC that has clear polycarbonate lens. For the GC, I'm always partial to the Morette option:
                      Unfortunately, retrofitting those would be a challenge because the low & high beams are exposed. You can modify an aftermarket + Morette to look like the STI Electra 1, by transplanting the clear polycarbonate lens of the aftermarket onto the Morettes, or transplanting the Morette's outer shell as the shroud inside the aftermarket.
                      Ah, someone who knows rexies!!

Yep, Club Spec 4.

Yeah, the glass is clear, but it does horrible things to the output It's a very, very thick glass. At ~35 feet my blue band is about a 8 inches thick, but once the glass is put on, it's about 2.5", and the light with Morimoto 3Five 5K + FX-r 3.0's goes from being a nice, bright white to a dull, off-white.

I've looked into both those options, actually!!

The morettes have the fluted lenses and IMO, are too much work to fix (purely because they're ~$600AUD and I've only seen one set come up for sale 2nd hand (Missed it by $10 on eBay, damn network dropout ).

These are what I'm looking at, although I can get them cheaper from a local supplier, so I'm thinking about butchering a pair to see if it will work - and how they look on the car...

Back on topic though () good to see more progress Can't wait to see the finished product!

Comment

Originally posted by rbimdxe View Post
                        Ah, someone who knows rexies!!
                        Yep, Club Spec 4.
                        North America doesn't see most of the special edition models (P2, 22B, Club Spec 4, ...). Until the bugeye, none of the WRX models ever get here. It's not a wonder many Subie owners here want to know about those unobtaniums.

Yeah, the glass is clear, but it does horrible things to the output It's a very, very thick glass. At ~35 feet my blue band is about a 8 inches thick, but once the glass is put on, it's about 2.5", and the light with Morimoto 3Five 5K + FX-r 3.0's goes from being a nice, bright white to a dull, off-white.

The morettes have the fluted lenses and IMO, are too much work to fix (purely because they're ~$600AUD and I've only seen one set come up for sale 2nd hand (Missed it by $10 on eBay, damn network dropout ).

These are what I'm looking at, although I can get them cheaper from a local supplier, so I'm thinking about butchering a pair to see if it will work - and how they look on the car...
                        Interesting. Are you planning on getting 2 pairs of FX-Rs? In my case, I don't plan to use both pairs at the same time, so I modified each of them to cater to different purposes. If I had space, I would've preferred adding a good set of halogen high beams (e.g. like a 90mm Hella reflector high beams) so I can have instant high beams for flash-to-pass. Obviously, I ran out of space inside the headlight housing.

Back on topic though () good to see more progress Can't wait to see the finished product!
                        Thanks.

Comment

Stray light harvester, v.2

Try a slightly different shape. Here's the new cardboard template under the original acrylic. Notch on the top side allows the harvester to "latch" on to the opening cut through the shroud. Angled piece inside the shroud allows a smaller angle of incidence relative to the stray light. A milder arc allows the harvester to seat further forward.

Transfer the template onto painters tape covering the acrylic piece, and then cut:

New (bottom pair) vs. original

Test output.

Comment

Tweaking the "flow" of the curved metal piece above the e55r

After looking at the curved metal piece above the e55r for a while, the amount that needed to be trimmed off due to interference against the outer housing lens altered the visual flow enough; it doesn't look as good as the initial painters tape prototype.

The visual flow is ok when viewed from a high elevation, but not so much when viewed almost head on. Given the space, I experimented with a second layer right below the curved metal piece. The idea is that it corrects the broken visual flow when viewed head on, but not require the piece to jut further forward (and interfere with the outer housing's lens). Here's a painter's tape + carboard prototype:

The overal flow running inwards from the fender side (towards the grille) is now a bit more fluid imho.

Barely visible from high elevation angles:

Comment

Where do you draw the line (literally)

I contemplated going even further with the flowing sheet metal concept and try to soften the last strong circular shape, the opening around the Mini D2S. Something like the left side of the picture below. Imagine the blue doodle mark is blue painter's tape prototype for the final sheet metal.

But then it reminds me of Mazda's nagare (=flow), taiki, furai, & kabura concepts.

In one hand, the circular shape around the Mini D2S seem to clash with the rest of the flowing design. On the other hand, the bugeye is a chunkier shape compared to these Mazda design concepts. So keeping the area around the Mini D2S unaltered may be better.

hm...

Comment

You've been really busy while I was on vacation! I really like how this one is "shaping up" literally. That first pic of the thread looks amazing, with the harvester and flowing metal piece.

Comment

Working...
                                X