FXR 3.0" Retrofit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FXR 3.0" Retrofit

Wanted to keep my latest retro up for readings. I will be using the t FXR 3.0 with the 3" lens (not being produced for public, only 2 will be made for this retro). I will be retro'ing them on my 2000 Toyota Landcruiser that has a huge headlights and virtually no room for a projector. So why did I choose the 3" over the 2.5"? I think the 3" lens will look killer on a truck this large. I plan on 55W ballast and CBI's.

Here are some comparison shots with some of the more common projectors we sell at TRS. Mini H1 / FXR 3" / Mini D2S 3"

Mini H1 / FXR 3"

Even the Mini H1 requires some pretty good dremeling in the stock location so the FXR required quite a bit. Since the Landcruiser is more of a classy vehicle I chose the E55 shroud rather than some of the more aggressive/extreme looking ones.

and finally some photo's of the first retro. This is a headlight from a wrecked Toyota so I chose to retro it first and see what is involved and if it can be done. Now that I know it will fit, I will scrap this light and retro them into my good headlights. I am reconsidering the gun metal gray, I'm not sure it will look appropriate on my rig, I'll see when I bolt them in.

I threw a Mini H1 in there just to see if I can/want to run quads. I think I'll pass. There are a few reasons why I am not going to run quads.

When the other projector gets here mid February I will finish this up.

Nick
    100 Series Landcruiser
    3" Morimoto FX-R 3.0 /TEQ Lens / 55W Ballasts / CBI's / X.DRL

That's ... interesting! I suppose it's a good way to fill up the huge head light.

Comment

E55 shrouds look good.. and wow those 3" fx-r are huge! Glad I just ordered a pair of e55 to complete my setup

Comment

Nick,

Do you have any ETA on the 3.0s? I'm gearing up to do another retro.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Dirt View Post
          Nick,

Do you have any ETA on the 3.0s? I'm gearing up to do another retro.
          I can't say yet as I don't know. I'm the part time guy that just works a little. I'm out of the loop with ETA's and in-depth knowledge.
          100 Series Landcruiser

Comment

3" FX-R's would probably look awesome on my car vs the 2.5", oh well.

I'll be interested in output shots of the 3" vs 2.5"

1996 Ford Bronco - Morimoto Gen 3 H1 / 3Five Ballasts / Morimoto 5000K H1 / Generic 9007 harness
            2004 Mercury Marauder - Morimoto FX-R 1.1 / 3Five Ballasts / Osram Xenarc 66240 CBI / TRS HD 9007 harness
            1985 BMW 745i - ECE Halogens Woo Hoo

Comment

Originally posted by offroadkarter View Post
              3" FX-R's would probably look awesome on my car vs the 2.5", oh well.

I'll be interested in output shots of the 3" vs 2.5"
              There are no benefits with the 3" FXR. It's just cosmetic. The 2.5" puts out just as much light and the same beam pattern/cutoff.
              100 Series Landcruiser

Comment

The three inchers (hehe) are definitely doing to look much better in those headlights. The E55 shrouds definitely keep the look classy.

I think you could pull off quads if you didn't use shrouds on the Mini's.

Comment

I like the FXR, just not the biggest fan of the E-55. Sowwies.

PS: i wish i had your job ... get to mess around with cool things all day

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisMan287 View Post
                    The three inchers (hehe) are definitely doing to look much better in those headlights. The E55 shrouds definitely keep the look classy.

I think you could pull off quads if you didn't use shrouds on the Mini's.
                    I would like to run Mini's but the bumper I have on my truck will block the output (or atleast 75% of it). Which would render it piontless. I plan on keeping my 55W 9005 HID in there for raw light spread. See below:

100 Series Landcruiser

Comment

Thanks Nick, those look pretty darn cool!

Comment

Originally posted by Ramy Fathi View Post
                        I like the FXR, just not the biggest fan of the E-55. Sowwies.

PS: i wish i had your job ... get to mess around with cool things all day
                        ha, I love the E55. It plain, simple, and just works (my opinion)

PS: I love my job. I couldn't ask for a better job. Working for TRS is great.
                        100 Series Landcruiser

Comment

So Nick, in your sig, I'm assuming that's an old retro with 2.5" projectors?

Comment

Originally posted by TobiasSing View Post
                            So Nick, in your sig, I'm assuming that's an old retro with 2.5" projectors?
                            Yessir. Mini H1 with 5K bulbs.
                            100 Series Landcruiser

Comment

Ah yeah, time for an upgrade for sure lol. Those do look tiny in there!

Comment

Working...
                              X