'92 E31 850Ci & Hella EvoX-R

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '92 E31 850Ci & Hella EvoX-R

Greetings from Finland. Land of Santa, snow and other cold stuff. Anyways... Long story short. I traded my summer ride '96 Cobra Mustang into old 850 Bimmer and I have to say this is a one helluva ride compared to that Mustang with solid rear axle. Ok, let's get down to busines. Bimmer is a old car and ofcourse theres lot of things that I have to take care during winter. One mod is to get rid of totaly crapy low beams. Hi's are good, actually they are very good. 4x 55W H1 with clear lenses.

Ballasts and bulbs are Morimoto's 5fives. Special thanks goes to Matt @ TRS!

This is where I started. Bowl is burned and melted.

Old and new one, side by side.

Holes opened a bit.

Mounting screws aren't threaded enought.

3 position mounting.

Upper mounting points fitted exelent. I had to remove original levelling motor and dril one hole for lower mounting point.

Like that.

From left to right; high beam, fog light and Hella EvoX-R hi/low.

Testing low beam.

And hi beam. Original H1 high beam not powered in this pic.

Lights aren't installed into car yet but very soon.
    At the moment...
    '94 Audi A8 4.2i V8 - '05 CLK55 AMG
    Some years ago...
    '00 CLK55 AMG - '92 BMW 850i 5.0i V12 - '96 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra 4.6i 32V V8 - '92 Lincoln TownCar 4.6i SOHC V8 - '78 Ford Capri 2.9i BOA Cosworth - '77 Ford Capri 2.8i - '90 Ford Sierra 2.0i DOHC - '87 Renault 21 GTX Nevada 2.0i

Congrats on the 850. I have always loved those. Looks like the retrofit is going nicely. Good work!
    2004 GMC Yukon Denali
    Hella E55 - ZKW-R - Philips 85122 - Philips LVQ-212
    OEM Euro Manual Headlight-Leveling System

Comment

That dim spot is strange.?
      any output pics before putting them into the housing?

I believe that fluting is obstructing some output

Comment

Originally posted by TrakTuned View Post
        That dim spot is strange.?
        any output pics before putting them into the housing?

I believe that fluting is obstructing some output
        Did you mean those two thin dim areas left and right in beam? I believe those are something to do with that Evo's bowl is not symmetric. Upper half is wider than lower part and there is edge you see in those pics above. In those last pics front glass wasn't installed, but I tested it aswell and no diffirence in beam.
        At the moment...
        Some years ago...
        '00 CLK55 AMG - '92 BMW 850i 5.0i V12 - '96 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra 4.6i 32V V8 - '92 Lincoln TownCar 4.6i SOHC V8 - '78 Ford Capri 2.9i BOA Cosworth - '77 Ford Capri 2.8i - '90 Ford Sierra 2.0i DOHC - '87 Renault 21 GTX Nevada 2.0i

Comment

The dark spot on the high beam are normal like Moutine said it most likely because of the bowl. It is not noticeable or effects light output on the road
          DSC01332.JPGDSC01339.JPGDSC01341.JPG

Comment

OP, you should try to lower the shield 1-2mm to expose some more light for the low beam.

Comment

Installed both lights into car yesterday night. Going to do wireings next, maybe tomorrow after hangover.
              At the moment...
              Some years ago...

Comment

Looking good looking good! quite OEM from the outside

Lexus GS350 F Sport : Skipper Designs Front Lip : Rotiform BLQ Concave : Michelin PSS : Brembo GT 380mm : RSR Suspension : GS350/STi-R Bi-xenon
                * For any inquiries please e-mail TRSMatt@TheRetrofitSource.com, PM's = not a good way to reach me*

Comment

I am actually talking about that long dim streak underneath th right side of the cutoff. it must just be these new projectors

Still looks good though, nice retro.

edit: It actually looks like your solenoid isn't fully disengaged. The streak that should only be in the highbeam is in the lowbeam.
                  Last edited by TrakTuned; December 16th, 2011, 05:04 PM.

Comment

Are you talking about this area in the circle? Its doesn't affect the output since it is over lapped by the other beam. Here is my output about 30 to 40ft away. Sorry for the quality it was taken with my phone.
                    pic.jpgDSC_0381.jpg

Comment

And what comes wireing I wantted to be as OEM as possible.

And one quick output picture.

I'll post more over all pictures when whole project is done.
                      At the moment...
                      Some years ago...

Comment

Looks good. Nice kitty too. I'm a cat lover.
                        2014 RAM 1500 Express RCSB 2WD- FX-R/CBI's/50W MORIMOTO
                        1989 Chevy S-10 5 speed

Comment

How many watts is the cat?

Comment

I love cats but hate catalytic converters. Yep, Leevi is very friendly cat. It's actually my friends cat b/c I'm keeping my Bimmer in friends carage in country side. I do have two cats (animals) my own aswell.
                            At the moment...
                            Some years ago...

Comment

Woooo thats the only upside of living in AB, you can legally straight pipe your ride no problem. Just cant cross provincial borders haha.

How close were you in that last shot to the wall? I dont see any cutoff color at all, I thought hte EvoxR came pre color modded?

Comment

Working...
                              X