Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2005 Avalanche Retro

So,

I did a retro on a 05 Avalanche awhile back but never posted it. Here are the parts..

Projectors: Rx330 AFS
    Lenses: TSX-R clear lens
    Ballasts: Matsushita Gen IV
    Bulbs: Phillips 85112+
    Mounting Method: JnC's Rotational Adjustment

I got lucky, and found the ballasts+bulbs for only $100 on ebay, from a seller only an hour away The projectors were also on ebay for $80

Anyways...It was a pain to do a retrofit on the 2005, because there is very limited space behind the headlights, which seems to be also a common problem on 03-06 GM trucks/suvs. I didnt have to cut too much out of the light brackets (you will see the pics below)

Another problem I had is that my shrouds (E46-R extended) was hitting the headlight lens when I tried to place the headlight lens back on. I had to cut the the opening of the shroud (on the inside of it) bigger so I could slide the shroud further down on the projector. I couldn't slide the projector further back because of the limited space behind the headlight..

So, here are the pics:

Lens swap, OEM lens vs TSX-R lens

Video of above color flicker:

These pics show the problem with the shroud, notice how when i put the lens on, it moved the shroud off center. In the finished retro, the problem is fixed. I got lazy after finishing the retro, and havent taken pics of everything

Left headlight bracket was a bad cutting mistake, wasnt thinking and cut that entire chunk out, so i made that little brace for it. The ignitor for the bulbs is a lot bigger for Matsushita Ballasts. When I did a mock fitting with my DDM ballasts and their D2S adapter, it fit fine but then i could't aim the lights up because the projector would hit something...I purchased a replacement bracket that i will replace eventually...

And the finished retro:

Also, here is a pic of how I waterproofed the ballasts. I purchased OEM rubber caps for the ballasts and cut a hole in them for the igniter cable to fit through and stuck some Ultra Black RTV Gasket Sealer (high temp silicon)

And a pic of the back of the light. I used aluminum foil tap to tape off that open area around the boot, and its been holding tight through all the rain over the winter...
    Last edited by xOperator; April 21st, 2011, 11:54 AM.
    Write Something....../

Very nice! I miss my avalanche :-(

Comment

Nice !

Comment

<---moist.

Comment

very nice. love that colorband.
          The sea wants to kiss the golden shore,The sunlight warms your skin,All the beauty that's been lost before,Wants to find us again

Comment

Hi how much drop at 25 feet did you aim them at and what was the height of your projector from the ground? I'm having issues getting mine aimed correctly I have a 08 GMC Sierra with rx350 retrofit and I have no issues with oncoming traffic but my light is hitting side mirrors and going into cars that are driving in front if me resulting in me getting flashed when I pass. I didn't have a 1.5in level kit which I'm debating and taking out. My projector is 40in high from the ground and I have it set at 35in at 25 ft

Comment

I cant remember how much drop i had at 25ft. I've adjust it a lot to try to keep the reflection to a minimum.

As far as your lights getting into the mirrors of cars in front of you, you're always going to have that issue since a truck's light is right around the same height of most car mirrors.
              Write Something....../

Comment

Working...
              X