2000 Jetta FX-R Retro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2000 Jetta FX-R Retro

Hey guys, this was my first retro, and honestly, i am never going back to standard reflector housings again!!

I used FX-R Bi-Xenon's, 5000K Morimoto bulbs, DDM 35w Ballasts, AMP-DS2 Coverter, and 9007 wiring harness.

Thanks ALOT Matt for the great deal!!

I didnt buy shrouds because i made my own out of a 4"x2" PVC Reducer.

On to the pics shall we!!

Heres my box of goodies!

Heres the Reducer:

Your dremel is your best friend here, I ground out all the fins and the middle part of the reducer to fit the projectors in:

I didnt take any pictures of the headlight being taken apart, but heres the projector shroud set in place and expoxied into perfect position, and some paint/clear.

My garage was pretty cool, so i hooked up my heat gun, and ghetto rigged it for better drying times lol.

Polished Lenses.

Shrouds dry, and projectors set in.

That was all the pics i took while doing the whole retro, but here are some crappy pics of the finished resualt!

I will get better pics when the weather get better...

This was before propper alignment

Sideways on a wall

About 50ft from a wall

It was deffinatly worth every penny!

Ill get some better pictures when the weather gets better!

Very nice!!

Can't wait to see full pics!

Hers-Sloped TL's, ZKW-R lenses, 85122+, E55-R, fiberglass buckets, Blazer fogs with 3K
    Mine- Morimoto Mini H1's, e55 shrouds, Blazer fogs with 3000K
    Zuma 125 Mini H1, Gatling Gun 2.0, 90mm & 60mm Amber XBLED halos
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/RetroFix

Comment

Great looking retro!! I have a 2000 GLS and Im planning on doing the exactly same swap more or less. Plan to use the same parts. That PVC reducer seems to be the best thing to use for an easy fitment. I have a few questions if you dont mind...

What process did you use for polishing the lenses? I busted my butt trying to get mine clear. 6 different sand paper levels, 3 different compounds. I did it all by hand though, and Im thinking using a PC or buffer would be better.

Did you attach the projectors to the PCV piece first, then get them level while mocked up with the car?

How is your clearance behind the light..specifically over on the driver side by the battery? Any pics of how you did the back?

And finally...what did you use to attach the PVC piece for the headlight reflector? like what type of glue/epoxy.

Sorry for so many questions! Again...great work!

J.

Comment

Awesome work...that shroud looks really damn good.
        Feedback Thread
        Ford Fog Light Projectors
        Ford Fusion Fog Projector D2S Modificaiton
        Mini H1 Halogen Modification
        D2S Bulb Comparisons

Comment

Good job man......diggin the heat gun jerry-rig...ahahha...
          Trax Customs
          Owner
          www.traxcustoms.com

Comment

Originally posted by jeepguy25 View Post
            Great looking retro!! I have a 2000 GLS and Im planning on doing the exactly same swap more or less. Plan to use the same parts. That PVC reducer seems to be the best thing to use for an easy fitment. I have a few questions if you dont mind...

What process did you use for polishing the lenses? I busted my butt trying to get mine clear. 6 different sand paper levels, 3 different compounds. I did it all by hand though, and Im thinking using a PC or buffer would be better.

Did you attach the projectors to the PCV piece first, then get them level while mocked up with the car?

How is your clearance behind the light..specifically over on the driver side by the battery? Any pics of how you did the back?

And finally...what did you use to attach the PVC piece for the headlight reflector? like what type of glue/epoxy.

Sorry for so many questions! Again...great work!

J.

For the lense, i wetsanded with 1000, 1500, and 2000, then Plast-X with a wool padon my buffer, then a foam pad with plast-X

I made the hole in the headlight, set the reducer in place, hot glued it in good alignment, then took the headlight out, put on the bench and Epoxy Steel'ed it.

Ill take some pics of the engine compartment, its tight but it fits.

I used LePage Epoxy Steel too attach the reducer to headlight.

EDIT:

more pics!

Car is dirty as hell, but you get the point.

Last edited by Big~Kenny; March 2nd, 2011, 06:44 PM.

Comment

Got my 100w H3's today, installed them in my fogs, and took some more pics!

Lows, Fogs off:

Fogs on:

High beams, fogs off:

High beams, fogs on:

Comment

i like the home made shroud. looks good. you should run for RFOTM.

im running too but i doubt i win. i got a simple easy retrofit. not hard at all. i can dream tho. thats why i submitted mine
                2014 RAM 1500 Express RCSB 2WD- FX-R/CBI's/50W MORIMOTO
                1989 Chevy S-10 5 speed

Comment

Looks like a bit of glare from your Fogs. Got any pics with just the fogs on?

Comment

whats that putty stuff on the back that you use for sealing? is it flexible?

Comment

Originally posted by CSVT View Post
                      Looks like a bit of glare from your Fogs. Got any pics with just the fogs on?
                      Yah the fogs glare a bit, i might get some Hella Micro DE's or a similar projector for them.

As for the stuff on the back of my lights for sealing, its Plumbers Putty, doesnt harden but provides a water-proof seal!

Comment

WOW no kidding they are a bit tight on the back. good job making it work though.
                        2008 aveo5
                        FX-R
                        85122+ Bulbs
                        35w ddm ballast

TL retro soon to come

Comment

Looks good. Nice job polishing those lenses. My Jetta's need it.

Comment

Big~Kenny,

sent you a PM about some details I was hoping you could answer. Looking forward to hearing back from you soon!

Thanks

Comment

Nice job, those look like my first set I did, that I just sold. Retrofit's on the mk4 jetta are brighter then OEM Bora HID's

Comment

Working...
                              X