MH1 7.0 swap into an 06 Grand Vitara

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MH1 7.0 swap into an 06 Grand Vitara

Here's my projector swap/retrofit into my 06 Suzuki Grand Vitara 3dr.

Originally I bought the car used with the stock headlights on it. Those were H4 reflectors and they were awful. I do a lot of city driving and the roads are poorly and rarely well lit. Also lots of pot holes and ninja speed bumps of all shapes and sizes.

First couple of mods were PnP LEDs. First one burnt out in 3 months. Second one had a much better beam pattern and a proper cutoff line but were still worse than 55/60 halogens. Next came the relay harness and 90/130 halogens. Much better brightness and retained the stock beam pattern, but still not satisfied.

On a friend's elantra he had 50w PnP HIDs and I could tell it was worse than mine when stopped or when we shared a road. His lost all resemblance to a cutoff and had tons of foreground, also really blue.
    We both had the bright idea of looking for the oem headlights with projector low beams and fitting them with PnP HIDs. I managed to find replica ones for my car and put a chinese 50w H7 kit in it.

The only good outcome, retained the cutoff. Those bulbs were way off and I had to space them out until they matched the halogens. Still had shit distance though and the beam didn't extend much to the right past the step for some reason.

Only then did I stumble on this forum and holy shit did I know very little about lighting. I learned that PnP anything in reflectors is a bad idea. I learned that my HIDs were a gamble in those unknown projectors.

I found a local Morimoto dealer and settled for the 7.0 after some research. I give them the headlights to open and they say it needs an adapter plate and they cannot do it. I slept on it and then decided I'd buy the parts and attempt it myself.

The patient

The loot

The stock lens was 2.5" but the bowl was big enough for a 3" lens. The MH1 could fit through the gap left by the old projector.

So I penned down a schematic to use as a template as I intended to cut the adaptor plate with a cutoff wheel. For that I used the cutoff shields from both projectors.

Wasn't really satisfied with the accuracy so I decided to lift the measurements with calipers and redo the whole thing in Solidworks

Couple of days later after I got the design laser cut from 3mm galvanized steel

Time spent in precision measurements meant i didn't have to adjust roll or yaw

I know most adapter plates go to the back of the bowl but i thought this was easier and it actually meant that the lens almost exactly sat in the same place as the old so the shroud in the fascia didn't interfere

Then I went back to the shop to let them reseal the housings and later that night was time for testing

More beam shots

Last edited by NoodleFace; October 14th, 2020, 06:17 PM. Reason: typos
    2006 Grand Vitara 3dr
    Projector swap: MH1 7.0, XB35, XB 4500K, custom wiring
    CAD designed adapter plate

That looks great! Great write up, the moving images are helpful. I'm glad the forum helped you "see the light" and you could finally get the output you were after! Really neat job making those custom brackets like that. Most people would never be able to achieve this, so thanks for posting!

Comment

"see the light" i see what you did there

Writing this I realized I haven't seen any front mounted brackets on the forum. I haven't seen everything of course but if that's the case, why? Is there a downside to this? I can't imagine it's easier to measure from a curved surface which would be the case at the back, and it's not like my plate interfered with lens spacing or anything.
      2006 Grand Vitara 3dr

Comment

Nice work bud! Would love to see some wall shots.

Comment

Originally posted by 06BlkMax View Post
          Nice work bud! Would love to see some wall shots.
          Tbh I had some wall shots but a day before I posted I noticed my beams were cross-eyed and at less than 50m, they were a bit too high as well. I'll post some as soon as I snap new ones after the latest adjustments.
          2006 Grand Vitara 3dr

Comment

Ok they're adjusted to the best I can do right now. The roll adjustment seems a tad off and the passenger side hotspot seems to be to the left a bit. But I am not sure, while driving they seem fine.

Low-beam after adjusting them lower (too low?)

Low-beam

exposure -2

High-beam

exposure -2

Shot with an S8+, used pro mode because it had exposure +/-
            2006 Grand Vitara 3dr

Comment

I can't see any pics..
              Edit: I see them now. They look really good man! A lot of light they're putting out. The bulb could be the problem with the color. I always had OEM bulb's....CBIs. I've never ran aftermarket bulb's so the color temp could be a factor as well. My Evox-Rs had the same color as my 4TLr-s
              Last edited by 06BlkMax; October 18th, 2020, 04:34 PM.

Comment

The bulb could be the problem with the color.
                By colour you mean flicker, right? not colour temp? If so, it's not fixable? I took out the passenger side headlight today to reseat the bulb.
                2006 Grand Vitara 3dr

Comment

Originally posted by NoodleFace View Post

By colour you mean flicker, right? not colour temp? If so, it's not fixable? I took out the passenger side headlight today to reseat the bulb.
                  You can achieve color flicker with the 4500k bulb. The CBIs run at 5500k/6000k and higher temp with the CBA and CBB bulb's. I was going to purchase the CBAs but after seeing Matt do a comparison with all three bulb's I didn't think it was worth spending the extra money. IMO if you have the extra money get a set of CBIs....I bet you'll get more color at the cutoff.

Comment

IMO if you have the extra money get a set of CBIs....I bet you'll get more color at the cutoff.
                    They don't make CBI H1 bulbs though, right? Closest thing to OEM would be those new rebased philips which I probably cannot source locally. We don't have xenondepot bulbs either.
                    2006 Grand Vitara 3dr

Comment

Originally posted by NoodleFace View Post

They don't make CBI H1 bulbs though, right? Closest thing to OEM would be those new rebased philips which I probably cannot source locally. We don't have xenondepot bulbs either.
                      You are correct. As I was writing that comment... that thought did slip through my mind. IMHO I would keep what you have bro...it looks good.

Comment

Small update to my retro:
                        As the temperature started to drop below 25c I started to notice a persistent high beam. Turns out my passenger side projector would sometimes stay in high beam, but only the passenger's side and only the shield and not the 9005 halogen.
                        I started to search for cases similar to mine but could only find cases with other projectors. I knew it wasn't electrical because it would switch from low to high fine every time, and the shield returns with a spring I think. So I figured it may just be the pin making contact with my plate somehow because it's cold out now
                        Today I decided to take off both headlights and, using a hair dryer , I managed to open the offending headlight and get the projector out. Using a 12v tool battery it switched fine and I was not able to recreate the issue at home. I checked the solenoid action and it wasn't hitting anything. That only left the possibility of increased friction so I applied a few drops of clear electric shaver oil to the pin on both ends. I hoped I could elongate the return spring but the solenoid and shield didn't look disassembly friendly.
                        I took the chance of having the headlight out to add a few shims to that passenger side at 9 o'clock. After sealing everything back up and reinstalling the headlights I took a short drive and the passenger side hotspot is now much closer to the step if not ideal and I am much happier with it. The high beam is working normally as well and I hope it stays this way.
                        2006 Grand Vitara 3dr

Comment

Oops
                          Last edited by NoodleFace; November 5th, 2020, 05:46 PM. Reason: --Double posted by accident--
                          2006 Grand Vitara 3dr

Comment

Beautiful work. That bracket is awesome.
                            www.fadingarrow.com

2001 Black Firebird Formula 5.7L V8 --- 75th Anniversary Package
                            Headlights: Sinolyn 3" D2H Projectors with 35 watt HID

2013 Blue Mustang GT 5.0 V8 Premium
                            Headlights: Stock D3S Bi-Xenon

Comment

Originally posted by VIP1 View Post
                              Beautiful work. That bracket is awesome.
                              thank you for your support.
                              I had to take a 3+ hour drive on a dusty broken road and the high beams never skipped a beat.
                              2006 Grand Vitara 3dr

Comment

Working...
                              X