Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MLED2.0 fitted into 2015 Mazda 3 (replaced H11 2.5" lens Stanley projector)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MLED2.0 fitted into 2015 Mazda 3 (replaced H11 2.5" lens Stanley projector)

Finally got a hand on MLED2.0, I have 2015 Mazda3 with Stanley H11 2.5" halogen projector, but found 3" lens MLED2.0 fitted with maximum ease,

Original projector is one of very common Stanley H11, it is 2.5" lens projector, but the overall size is not too far from MLED2.0, I hope some more users who have same Stanley H11 in original configuration can find this information useful or open opportunity to check size compatibility. (Not saying it's gonna fit in all applications tho!!!, but at least for Mazda3 2015, it fitted well)

2020-05-19_10-40-58 by Yoshi, on Flickr

Mounting hole need slight adjustment, I made a template. The new mounting holes should be made at 4.1mm Y down, 3.2mm towards center from each lower 2 mounting holes on the plate.

hole by Yoshi, on Flickr

It's 2.6mm thick plate, drilled new mounting hole according to the template and clean hole edge.

IMG_4071 by Yoshi, on Flickr

Slight shaving was needed for gaining clearance. Where the red dotted line indicates, shave it off.
    Newly-made mounting hole on mounting plate lines up to lower 2 mounting hole.
    IMG_4072 by Yoshi, on Flickr

No spacer, simply directly onto OE structure. The top mounting hole is outside of MLED2.0's mounting plate geometry, but it close enough for mounting screw head to hold down the mounting plate.
    IMG_4076 by Yoshi, on Flickr

Gave a small amount of epoxy support. As you can see, screw head still catches the upper end of the mounting plate.
    IMG_4078 by Yoshi, on Flickr

Original mounting screw is bit long for this setup, 2 washer did a job for adjustment
    IMG_4077 by Yoshi, on Flickr

It comfortably sits inside of the housing, and an ample amount of aiming range, no clearance issue.
    Originally 2.5" lens projector design headlamp, but bezel also handling MLED2.0 3" lens very well.

IMG_4079 by Yoshi, on Flickr

Rest, mount the driver at the bottom. ( I clipped off some rib to make space, through-hole bolt from inside with gasket washer)
    IMG_4080 by Yoshi, on Flickr

I believe this can be considered as one of "almost" bolt-on" kind easy fitting work, no special bracket, aligning process needed. Just carefully create a new mounting hole.

IMG_4087 by Yoshi, on Flickr

For Mazda 3 owner who may want to try this, I must mention this car high beam input is kinda odd.
    You must first disable DRL. DRL configured to connect 2 HB3 bulbs in series, but by doing so, one of connectors polarity flips!!
    Input wrong polarity to MLED2.0 high beam input connector can blow the fuse of high beam, also it can damage LED drivers.

Always check connector polarity before making a connection. In my case,, despite the service manual indicated yellow wires to be positive, blue to be negative,, it was the opposite.
    Check with actual harness end!!

Nice! What is your impression of the M-LED 2.0 output? It shouldn't be a surprise that I'm looking at buying my next car according to being able to retrofit in certain projectors lol.

Comment

This projector is purely dialed in for proper beam balance.

I actually developed this one, as you many see my name on TRS’s website.

So I can tell what I intended.

It covers all previous to current LED projectors “wish list” achieved and packed in one package pretty much.

Many says LED projector isn’t wide, but this one is wider than D2S5.0 active beam width

Hot spot shape is refined to achieve natural yet strong distance range shooting beam character

Smooth transition to foreground

It’s very intense too

Low beam registered above 67,500cd peak for 80% + batch, which is higher than D2S 5.0 with 35W system And beam is very smooth and wide.

Foreground transition is designed with highest priority, so driver view is very balanced. Your view naturally lands on where you want to see the most, low beam and high beam. You just have to experience these, I am very happy with these. Consider this projector as, one of us, lighting enthusiast put all thought into,as much as technologies allows kinda projector.

It now come with AR coated lens, added additional few % of light usage

High beam exceed 90,000cd peak intensity For LED projector, one of the highest low and high contrast. Long range beam projector.

You can find all details on TRS website.

I won’t say it’s brighter than 55W HID system, but lighting is not all about how bright is be peak

It’s all about how well distribution is designed.
      Last edited by upashi; May 20th, 2020, 12:24 AM.

Comment

Yoshi, will those AR coated lenses be available separately for people who already have the MLED 2.0s? Any comparison photos between the standard lenses and the AR coated?
        Originally posted by HK45
        I don't even look to see what Eddie writes anymore. I'm too busy staring at his avatar.

Comment

I do not believe there is AR coated lens only purchase option.

The difference between the regular lens and AR coated lens is about 3-5% average gain with AR coated lens I observed, but such small difference can not be captured in the photo well.
          It's like trying to see the difference between 650lux vs 670~680lux hot spot @10m wall within beam pattern.

The difference is there, but just not visually obvious in beam. Lens itself has a slight typical AR coating color hue in reflection.

Comment

Originally posted by upashi View Post

The difference between the regular lens and AR coated lens is about 3-5% average gain with AR coated lens I observed, but such small difference can not be captured in the photo well.
            It's like trying to see the difference between 650lux vs 670~680lux hot spot @10m wall within beam pattern.

The difference is there, but just not visually obvious in beam. Lens itself has a slight typical AR coating color hue in reflection.
            I was actually more interested in the change of color output than the actual gain in brightness Practically every LED projector I've seen tends to run on the cooler side color-wise, I prefer warmer.
            Last edited by Eddie; May 20th, 2020, 11:38 AM.
            I don't even look to see what Eddie writes anymore. I'm too busy staring at his avatar.

Comment

Outputting color looks nearly identical with AR coated lens to our eyes

Yes, it has 5,500K range crisp white color.

It has just enough red spectrum in to satisfy white color light source regulation.
              But not warmer white like 4,300K range output color

I shall keep warmer color preference in consideration for future LED product possibilities!

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie View Post

I was actually more interested in the change of color output than the actual gain in brightness Practically every LED projector I've seen tends to run on the cooler side color-wise, I prefer warmer.

Good thing is that the HML3 chip is available in warmer color temp, IF you can source them. I couldn't easily find them online.

www.automotiveLEDresearch.com

Comment

Wish there are BIN between VC and 3A, VC is selective yellow range looks like.
                  Usually special order BIN. 3A may be good color to try if it can be sourced.

Comment

I actually developed this one, as you many see my name on TRS’s website.
                    Oh wow, I didn't know that! I'm sold just by this alone LOL. I'm looking forward to replacing my car so I can use these projectors with the Diode Dynamics SS3 fog pods, all bolt in replacements for the halogen lights! Thanks for the tips!

Comment

Wow, looks very promising!
                      Wish you made RHD version. I got two Toyotas at home that looks similar to your Mazda halogen projector (including one-piece high beam bit), so should be a very similar fit.

Comment

Glad to be your help! Let me know if you have any questions about the technical aspect of MLED2.0.

SS3 fog is very powerful but watch out for glare effect if you chose SS3 Pro. It has a +6 vertical degree upper gradient.
                        SS3 Sport one has less glare change, as it is a tighter beam, +4 vertical gradient. Beam intensity is still very high above 10,000cd.
                        SS3 Pro fog is more like the AUX wide driving beam assist kind of beam pattern, not exactly ideal for fog application in my opinion.

Some studies article I wrote, you may find it interesting to check.
                        https://betterautomotivelighting.com...-illumination/

Comment

Glad to be your help! Let me know if you have any questions about the technical aspect of MLED2.0.

SS3 fog is very powerful but watch out for glare effect if you chose SS3 Pro. It has a +6 vertical degree upper gradient.
                          SS3 Sport one has less glare change, as it is a tighter beam, +4 vertical gradient. Beam intensity is still very high above 10,000cd.
                          SS3 Pro fog is more like the AUX wide driving beam assist kind of beam pattern, not exactly ideal for fog application in my opinion.

Some studies article I wrote, you may find it interesting to check.
                          https://betterautomotivelighting.com...-illumination/
                          This is incredibly helpful! I came to the same conclusion just in looking around myself too, but this explains it well. While the extra double power of the Pro is tempting, it clearly has a much taller beam, making that extra power useless. And they are just fogs. They say that the Pros are better for trucks and SUVs and lifted vehicles, but the Sport are better for cars and lowered vehicles. So, I was thinking of going with the cheaper fogs in white with the MLED2.0.

Comment

Drift Monkey has amber Sports on his 4Runner and loves them.

Comment

So the pair of m-led 2.0 I received, although the drivers have the same date, have different lenses. I ordered them from lightwerkz. One is AR (green reflected lights) and one is not. I measured a 4.7% increase in hotspot lux on the AR coated lens. Also has an interesting green reflection on the projector mounting plate (without a shroud).

I also purchased a couple of mounting brackets that replace the stock mounting plate, but they are slightly thicker than the stock one. ~.010" thicker. Do you think this level of distance distance affect the lens focus? I have pretty good cutoff, but the high angle cutoffs right and left get a little fuzzy/rise upward. Is this an effect of the changed lens placement?

Comment

Working...
                              X