1998 BMW E36 w/Morimoto Mini H1 6.1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1998 BMW E36 w/Morimoto Mini H1 6.1

I just finished a projector retrofit using some OEM ZKW housings, Morimoto Mini H1 (version 6.1) projectors and new DEPO glass covers to cap it off. I’ve actually had these little guys sitting in a box for years with the intention of using them for my E30 but i never got around to that and i ended up taking them with me over here to Germany. Finally decided to mount these up.

Install was super easy. All said and done it only took me a few hours of actual work to finish the whole build and get them tuned/aimed. I have to apologize for the grainy photos. I used my phone to document things as i went along. I get real nerdy about good headlights so im sure I’ll bust out my Canon eventually to try and capture some accurate output shots.

Modifying ZKW Housings

Morimoto Mini H1 mounted in housings

Unfinished assemblies without glass covers mounted on car for testing

Beam Pattern

Video of output
    E36 Projector Retrofit on Flickr

Video or color flicker at the cutoff
    E36 Projector Retrofit on Flickr

Finished headlight assemblies with new DEPO glass covers

Finished assemblies mounted on the car

Output on the road after tuning and aiming properly

Pictures from my phone don’t do justice to how good the output is. Literal night and day difference from the original H7 headlights. Super wide beam pattern and lots of throw. Plus a pretty color flare at the cutoff is nice. These little Morimoto mini H1 projectors are great and super easy to work with. I highly recommend going this route if you can.

1990 Honda Accord CB7-JDM CB3 Housings-Morimoto-Mini D2S 2.0-Morimoto 3Five Ballasts-Phillips 85122+
    BMW E30 325i-DEPO Euro Smiley H1 Projector Housings-Morimoto 3Five Ballasts-H1 Morimoto 3Five 4.3k
    BMW E36 318i-OEM ZKW Projector Housings-Morimoto Mini H1 6.1-Aharon 35w 4.3k HID kit

Looks like you have a nice garage/warehouse setup to do work.

Curious; in the original headlight housing, was there some kind of cover for the area between the outer ring and the low beam projector lens?
    Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

Originally posted by satrya View Post
      Looks like you have a nice garage/warehouse setup to do work.

Curious; in the original headlight housing, was there some kind of cover for the area between the outer ring and the low beam projector lens?
      Hey Satrya. Looooong time no see. I still think back to your bugeye retro from years back whenever i do a retrofit for myself.

Im the Operations Manager of a Fastenal warehouse here in Germany. I use the space to do stuff to my car from time to time. Is a huge bonus because you’re not allowed to work on your car on the street in Germany and i don’t have a personal garage in my flat.

And yes, to answer your question, there was a fluted glass cover/lens similar to the one over the high-beam bucket but with different patterns for the halogen projector. These ZKW housing originally had halogen projectors and used the fluted glass to diffuse the output. I left it out for a cleaner beam pattern. It really looks naked now though. Im ok with it...im more of a functionality oriented person. If it works its good...but im thinking of options to shroud it. The standard selection of shrouds wont work because the depth i have to work with is very shallow and anything too deep will compromise the OEM aiming mechanism. I’ll probably have to come up with something custom or heavily modify an existing shroud...if i can find something thin enough.

1990 Honda Accord CB7-JDM CB3 Housings-Morimoto-Mini D2S 2.0-Morimoto 3Five Ballasts-Phillips 85122+
      BMW E30 325i-DEPO Euro Smiley H1 Projector Housings-Morimoto 3Five Ballasts-H1 Morimoto 3Five 4.3k
      BMW E36 318i-OEM ZKW Projector Housings-Morimoto Mini H1 6.1-Aharon 35w 4.3k HID kit

Comment

Das sieht sehr gut aus! Hut ab! Allerdings hätte ich die die Abdeckung for dem Abblendlicht auch erhalten. Oder du könntest die Mitte rund ausschneiden, damit keine Brechung entsteht. Außen hättest du dann die originalere Optik. Analog dem E38 Xenon-Scheinwerfer
        Last edited by Crossgolf; May 1st, 2020, 08:54 AM.
        Subaru Outback retrofit:
        http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...aru-Outback-H6
        License plate lights with dual brightness:
        https://www.hidplanet.com/forums/for...hen-backing-up

Comment

Originally posted by CB7cruiser View Post

Hey Satrya. Looooong time no see. I still think back to your bugeye retro from years back whenever i do a retrofit for myself.

Im the Operations Manager of a Fastenal warehouse here in Germany. I use the space to do stuff to my car from time to time. Is a huge bonus because you’re not allowed to work on your car on the street in Germany and i don’t have a personal garage in my flat.
          Likewise, it is nice to see members post retrofit every now and then; not as frequent as it was 5-10 years ago. I can see why cities may not like working on cars on the side of the road.

Originally posted by CB7cruiser View Post
          And yes, to answer your question, there was a fluted glass cover/lens similar to the one over the high-beam bucket but with different patterns for the halogen projector. These ZKW housing originally had halogen projectors and used the fluted glass to diffuse the output. I left it out for a cleaner beam pattern.
          Originally posted by Crossgolf View Post
          Das sieht sehr gut aus! Hut ab! Allerdings hätte ich die die Abdeckung for dem Abblendlicht auch erhalten. Oder du könntest die Mitte rund ausschneiden, damit keine Brechung entsteht. Außen hättest du dann die originalere Optik. Analog dem E38 Xenon-Scheinwerfer
          I think Crossgolf is making a similar suggestion I made? I thought there was a member that posted an aftermarket plastic piece that looks like the fluted glass surround (with a hole in the middle for the projector) that is compatible with this particular e36 platform.

Alternatively, gluing acrylic rods next to each other, and cutting to follow the circular profile, might work too. If the acrylic rods don't get into the beam path, then it should be ok. And cutting acrylic is easier than cutting the OE fluted glass surround.

A thin sheet metal, with a shallow conical angle, might work as a surround. I'm not suggesting identical to this, but similar in material use:

Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

So they just bolt right right in?

Comment

Originally posted by Mless5 View Post
              So they just bolt right right in?
              does what just bolt right in?

Comment

Morimoto H1 projectors to that ZKW projector holder.

Comment

Originally posted by Mless5 View Post
                  Morimoto H1 projectors to that ZKW projector holder.
                  Ah ok, yeah the morimoto H1 projector is the same diameter as the outgoing zkw projectors, give or take a mm or two. So they fit very snugly in the original mounting location. I used an anti-vibration paste and high temp silicone as well as two small set screws to hold everything in place. Works very well and have had no deflection or movement even with stiff suspension over bumpy roads. Had this setup while I went to the Nürburgring and the didn’t budge a mm. Pretty happy with ut so far and it was super easy. It’s nearly a drop in swap for this type of e36 housing.

Comment

That's great to know, thanks for posting back this info!

Comment

Working...
                    X