FAILED AT MY RETRO 😤

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FAILED AT MY RETRO 😤

So I can't believe I failed on doing my retrofit of the 4TLrs. I had already taken apart even dealing with the PITA of baking my lights open. I really feel defeated on not completing my retro. Well, what I ended up doing was putting a couple of #8 washers on the OEM 4gen projectors. I must say just by adding 3 washers to the Len's holder pins made a huge difference from what I started with.

Here's a couple of pictures of what I ran into.

Last edited by 06BlkMax; August 6th, 2019, 12:28 AM.

Comment

As you can see the 4TLr doesn't fit flush with the stock bracket. I might try again in the near future

Comment

What about finding a plastic tube or drill a hole at the center of a plastic cylinder, and cut it to length to provide sufficient "height" so that all the mount points will sit at the same plane?
        Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

Originally posted by satrya View Post
          What about finding a plastic tube or drill a hole at the center of a plastic cylinder, and cut it to length to provide sufficient "height" so that all the mount points will sit at the same plane?
          I thought this was a true direct swap, so I didn't know I would need any of that. TBH I've never had use any spacing of the sort ever when doing my lights. My Maxima was a direct swap with the EvoXr as you know. Can you post a link of the plastic tube cylinder?

Comment

Originally posted by 06BlkMax View Post
            Can you post a link of the plastic tube cylinder?
            I don't have one. What I meant was if you have a reasonably rigid material (say, out of plastic) where it can accommodate the screw (say, either has a hole or large enough to have a hole drilled through) and you can cut to a desired length, then you can potentially use that.

Stepping back a little; where are the mounting points that can be used in that bracket and projector flange? Do you have at least 3 with at least 1 at the top/bottom and 2 spanning both sides? If you use a washer "post" to prop all of them, will you be able to clear that indentation and still fit the projector?

The reason I didn't recommend putting washers on all of them is that at least with the pack of washers I've bought, the thickness vary enough that you may have different heights when stacking several washers together (e.g. a stack of 3 washers may have different enough height compared to another stack of 3 washers). Instead, if you have a material that you can cut lengthwise using a bandsaw, then it may be possible to get more than 1 "post" with identical heights.

Comment

I don't have one. What I meant was if you have a reasonably rigid material (say, out of plastic) where it can accommodate the screw (say, either has a hole or large enough to have a hole drilled through) and you can cut to a desired length, then you can potentially use that.

Stepping back a little; where are the mounting points that can be used in that bracket and projector flange? Do you have at least 3 with at least 1 at the top/bottom and 2 spanning both sides? If you use a washer "post" to prop all of them, will you be able to clear that indentation and still fit the projector?

The reason I didn't recommend putting washers on all of them is that at least with the pack of washers I've bought, the thickness vary enough that you may have different heights when stacking several washers together (e.g. a stack of 3 washers may have different enough height compared to another stack of 3 washers). Instead, if you have a material that you can cut lengthwise using a bandsaw, then it may be possible to get more than 1 "post" with identical heights.

The bottom pic is the OEM projector. Top is the bracket. I was tempted to just put a bunch of #8 washers to compensate for the space between the bracket and projector. I was going to use a Dremel and shave down the sides and the bottom of the bracket, but I didn't feel comfortable hacking up the brackets in fear of damaging them. Really wish I would have talked you first before doing it.

My DRLs are off now. When facing a wall the left DRL sits about 3" higher than the right side, what could have caused that?

Comment

You may be able to find just enough #8 washers that match the total height for all of the mounting screws.

As for the aim of the DRL; is this still with the headlight housing securely mounted to your fixture, or is this when mounted on the vehicle?

Comment

You may be able to find just enough #8 washers that match the total height for all of the mounting screws.

As for the aim of the DRL; is this still with the headlight housing securely mounted to your fixture, or is this when mounted on the vehicle?
                  Yes it's securely mounted within the headlight. Seems really odd that they are off by that much.

Comment

Is there a part of the DRL or its mounting that might have bent out of alignment?

Comment

The only thing I could think of is maybe, the headlights are not aligned with each other when I put them back on the car. But I'll drop the bumper again this weekend and find out.

Comment

Wait; where is the DRL located? From pictures in earlier posts, I had assumed it would be on that horizontal slot under the projector. But looking at post #11, it doesn't make sense.

Comment

Wait; where is the DRL located? From pictures in earlier posts, I had assumed it would be on that horizontal slot under the projector. But looking at post #11, it doesn't make sense.
                          It sits right next to the headlight. Look at post #11

Comment

Looking at the pictures; maybe I'm missing the context beyond information in this thread. Is the DRL a PnP on the high beam reflector? or is it the small area under the turn signal (which is also next to the headlight)?

Comment

The DRL on the 4G TL uses the reflector halogen high beam at reduced voltage.

Comment

Working...
                              X