2013 Mini Cooper HID Retrofit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2013 Mini Cooper HID Retrofit

A friend is looking for me to retrofit his 2013 Mini Cooper R60 Countryman. What I know about the headlight and car in general is the following...

It uses Full halogen buckets
    Low\High beam bowl uses a 9008\H13 bulb
    12961 parking light bulb and PY21W turn signal bulb share the same housing I believe.

The H13 Low\High bulb runs as a DRL per the DRL Enabled setting in the dash configuration. Not sure if this is running at full voltage, or half voltage, etc. But regardless it sounds like this DRL Enabled setting would need to be disabled unless there is some sort of device that i can wire in to interpret that DRL signal from the car and re-route that to a different device\wire configuration in the housing?

Does anyone know what projector setup would be the easiest \ most plug and play solution? Im assuming mini H1 7.0 would be the easiest threaded shaft solution. The only thing that he really wants done is to have Halos around the new projectors shroud. Im thinking of maybe adding a smaller one around the front of the turn signal as well, not sure yet.

After doing some searching around it seems to me like the OEM version of the lights are buytl which is good news. If anyone knows differently please let me know. Also, how does one go about estimating specific wiring \ custom harnesses for their lights on a car they never did before? The best i can imagine is googling images of hte engine bay and estimating wire lengths for ground points ,etc etc

Last edited by emerica243; June 11th, 2019, 07:04 PM.

I ended up sourcing a set of OEM lights. I'm leaning towards Mini H1 7.0 and Gatlin Gun shrouds or mini turbines with either a front mounted or vent mounted halo. From my understanding ill need the following...

H13 Mopar Harness to handle the finickyness of canbus\computer in these cars
    Xchange driver to switch the halos off when low beams are on.

Comment

I think a panamera shroud would look sick in these. the version with halos + 4 four led dots would look cool. Or the original mini shroud with several dots.... unfortunately I cann't help you with the wiring,
      Subaru Outback retrofit:
      http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...aru-Outback-H6
      License plate lights with dual brightness:
      https://www.hidplanet.com/forums/for...hen-backing-up

Comment

Originally posted by Crossgolf View Post
        I think a panamera shroud would look sick in these. the version with halos + 4 four led dots would look cool. Or the original mini shroud with several dots.... unfortunately I cann't help you with the wiring,
        I can picture that being cool. But im thinking its impossible for anything that big to fit in there. I feel like the shroud would need to be cut in half. Looking at a a previous generation headlight(below link) which looks to of had even more room\bigger bucket to work with, he still had to trim alot off of a bigger sized shroud... Which is the only reason i am leaning towards smaller shrouds. The headlights actually came in today, so ill try to rip one open and see what i can learn \ measure inside.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...on-11-r56.html

Comment

the headlights look so much bigger in the pictures.... thanks for the link. Interesting read.

i like what that guy did to to turn signal.
          Subaru Outback retrofit:
          http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...aru-Outback-H6
          License plate lights with dual brightness:
          https://www.hidplanet.com/forums/for...hen-backing-up

Comment

Originally posted by Crossgolf View Post
            the headlights look so much bigger in the pictures.... thanks for the link. Interesting read.

i like what that guy did to to turn signal.
            yup turn signal was nice touch. Here's what I got... Mini Gatling for size..

Last edited by emerica243; June 19th, 2019, 05:10 PM.

Comment

Happened to have some extra glass lenses as well... hardest thing for me will definitely be figuring out how to fit a damn hid projector.... seems threaded shaft method wont work. So im guessing ill have to cut a huge hole in the reflector bowl to be able to set the projector back far enough and utilize the jb weld method. However no idea how anyone knows that the projector perfectly straight and not angled let alone just horizontally level...

Comment

Pretending I know what Im doing with a glass lens swap for the turn signal area.

Comment

Originally posted by emerica243 View Post
                  Pretending I know what Im doing with a glass lens swap for the turn signal area.
                  Interesting. Is that a convex lens from a low / low+high beam projector? You may want to experiment to make sure that the dispersion of light on a wall is as similar as possible to the original dispersion. It won't be the same, since a convex lens has a very short focal length and lacks the additional fresnel patterns from the original turn signal lens. But you might be able to find the best distance to make the dispersion as similar as possible. My guess is that having the convex lens almost touching the bulb probably generates the least different dispersion.
                  Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

Originally posted by satrya View Post

Interesting. Is that a convex lens from a low / low+high beam projector? You may want to experiment to make sure that the dispersion of light on a wall is as similar as possible to the original dispersion. It won't be the same, since a convex lens has a very short focal length and lacks the additional fresnel patterns from the original turn signal lens. But you might be able to find the best distance to make the dispersion as similar as possible. My guess is that having the convex lens almost touching the bulb probably generates the least different dispersion.
                    So the bowl in the video is just the turn signal bowl which just houses a turn signal bulb. I plan on having a halo that will double as a turn signal around the projector as well. I will have to do the wall test to see the change in output from the lens like you said.

Heres some more pics. I'm still looking for some advice on how to properly align the hid projector in this sort of application. I'm used to the threaded shaft methods with your specific retaining rings to keep it aligned correctly both horizontally and the pitch i guess it is called. It is my assumption so far that a huge hole will be need to be opened in the reflector so the mini h1 can even fit in and sit farther back into the bowl. And then use the jbweld method to set it in place. Its the whole alignment method at that point to know the projector is in the same orientation that the original bulb was aimed that confuses me..

Comment

Yes, I realize it was just for the turn signal. What I meant was that even for the turn signal, you'd want to make sure that introducing a convex lens designed for a projector won't significantly degrade the turn signal's dispersion pattern. My guess is that placing the convex lens as close to the turn signal bulb is better than placing the convex lens farther, within reasonable range.
                      Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

Very tight application, using the halogen bowl as the source bucket could really only fit the mini h1 and gatling gun shroud. Going to do test fitting next weekend on the car for alignment purposes. Heres to hoping that goes easy and the alignment tests dont scratch the hell out of the paint. Then I need to figure out the best way to wire the halos up. Basically I was thinking of 3 different ways...

1. Wire BT Controller to Parking Lights
                        Pros: Easy accessibility to turn on halos, which will default to pure white. Can utilize XChange Driver to have controller die when low beams then get turnt on to protect halos life.
                        Cons: Cant show off halos unless parking lights are on.

2. Wire BT Controller to Battery
                        Pros: Can show off halos at any time.
                        Cons: More of a hassle to manually turn Halos on \ off with phone everytime i drive if i just want to a pure white experience.

3. Wire BT Controller to cars DRL
                        Pros: Halos turn on automatically with car, which will default to pure white. Can utilize XChange Driver to have controller die when low beams then get turnt on to protect halos life.
                        Cons: Cant show off halos unless cars running.

Comment

Passive demon eye done

Last edited by emerica243; August 6th, 2019, 06:51 AM.

Comment

Comment

Wrapping them up this week for install next week hopefully!

Comment

Working...
                              X