2015 Tacoma kioto bi-led retrofit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2015 Tacoma kioto bi-led retrofit

Got corolla led projector's. Mounted headlight yesterday on piece of wood for alignment and cut some reflector. Progress so far
    Halogen bulb in stock housing vs led

My Feedback
    http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=40647

Cool. Where are your wall markings to represent the original H-V center of the halogen so that you can align the horizontal aim correctly?

Comment

Originally posted by evo77 View Post
      Cool. Where are your wall markings to represent the original H-V center of the halogen so that you can align the horizontal aim correctly?
      I mounted crosshair Lazer on board for that couse I was moving board on which headlight is mounted
      Last edited by sy272004; March 8th, 2019, 09:05 AM. Reason: Spelling
      My Feedback

Comment

So you eyeballed the laser placement from behind the lamp?

Did you also use a laser in the opposite direction to align it on the bubble center of the lens?

Comment

Originally posted by evo77 View Post
          So you eyeballed the laser placement from behind the lamp?

Did you also use a laser in the opposite direction to align it on the bubble center of the lens?
          Put Lazer with oem cutoff and then keeping it on with led projector. Oem doesn't have much of a step so it's close enough. Final alignment will be on the truck anyway
          not sure which Buble center you referring to
          My Feedback

Comment

Steps are not used for alignment on VOR headlamps (ie. halogen lamps and LED lamps). Steps are only used on xenon projectors.

Bubble on lens...

Comment

I did not. Never knew what that thing was for. Alignment will be done on car anyway so don't think that's needed in my situation?
              My Feedback

Comment

I'm not talking about vertical alignment (up/down). I'm talking about horizontal alignment (right/left).

Yes proper alignment is crucial to performance and safety (not only to you but to others). Being off even a few eighths of an inch could result in a beam that is quite off at farther distances. The original bi-led was designed to place intensity at precise locations of the visual field to help you see better at night. You could also inadvertently place uplight that is meant for signage into the glare zone region (which on the bi-led is a very small designed window).

The bubble on the lens represents the optical reference point of every headlamp and is used for aiming. This is because there are no visual queues for the eye to detect where a beam should be placed centrally. Yes some lamps (projector and reflector) may have some sort of step in its design but seldom do they all fall on the same alignment path.

I see a lot of Russian retrofit shops use beam setters to align their lamps after they have installed a projector. This is PERFECT. Because it is the correct way to mechanically to align a beam after installing a projector.

Its important for you to determine the original halogen reference point on a screen so that you can align the bi-led accordingly.

To give you an example, if you look at this halogen beam below you will see that IF there were no horizontal and vertical lines on the wall, figuring out the center alignment by EYE is impossible. The beam as it is shown is aligned exactly perfect using the bubble on the lens (as well as other cross checks with lasers for proper alignment on all axes).

Comment

Gotcha. I see what u saying and I was talking about horizontal and left to right alignment on truck once I mount them(without lens first to fine tune it. Up and down is done when it's all final. My truck is not daily so I don't need to rush. I'll keep Buble in mind now, now that I know what it's there for. So it u have Lazer going through center of bulb hole and through Buble, that's left to right alignment point. Correct? So can be use to do it off the car really
                  My Feedback

Comment

Once you have established the H-V center point of the halogen on the screen, before you lockdown the bi-led you need to ensure that it matches to the same center point. The easiest way to do that is to switch on the high beam and align the hotspot dead center like below. The low beam, of course, will then automatically be properly aligned to the correct position once the shield is de-activated. The low beam may need to be lowered slightly but that's fine. Its the horizontal placement that is the most important in this procedure.

Comment

Originally posted by sy272004 View Post
                      Gotcha. I see what u saying and I was talking about horizontal and left to right alignment on truck once I mount them(without lens first to fine tune it. Up and down is done when it's all final. My truck is not daily so I don't need to rush. I'll keep Buble in mind now, now that I know what it's there for. So it u have Lazer going through center of bulb hole and through Buble, that's left to right alignment point. Correct? So can be use to do it off the car really
                      Keeping the housings fixed and in their original positions (whether it be on the vehicle or on a table with clamps) in accordance to the markings on the wall is the best practice. This way no small movements will kick it out of alignment.

Comment

Here is an image for a better perspective for lamp alignment. Be sure that the headlamp is *square* to the screen or wall.

Comment

Working...
                        X