2009 Subaru Legacy HID retrofit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bnevets27 View Post
    Other then figuring out a nice mount and making sure the light doesn't bounce back into the cabin. And as long as mine end up being just as bright as yours then it should be an easy and quick install, just 2 wires.

Sadly I went to the website for the flasher last night. And they don't have the g-senor ones for sale anymore And I honestly can't find them for sale anywhere now. I was holding off till I had LEDs because I want a quick flash. I did email them, got this response
    well you do have to take the lights apart to remove the flasher unit (requires desoldering/resoldering) it's a super easy bypass. The wiring is also very easy. It comes with 3 wires, but you'll only need two. The first unit serves as a pass-through to the other, so you could wire the lights both to each other and use two wires, or wire the second light to the third wire with a common ground to control them separately (like if you wanted to use them for turn signals).

Sucks to hear about the g-sensor flasher though, I'll have to keep that in mind if I change cars, to pull it out first so I can install it on the new car.

Comment

Originally posted by gold94corolla View Post

well you do have to take the lights apart to remove the flasher unit (requires desoldering/resoldering) it's a super easy bypass. The wiring is also very easy. It comes with 3 wires, but you'll only need two. The first unit serves as a pass-through to the other, so you could wire the lights both to each other and use two wires, or wire the second light to the third wire with a common ground to control them separately (like if you wanted to use them for turn signals).

Sucks to hear about the g-sensor flasher though, I'll have to keep that in mind if I change cars, to pull it out first so I can install it on the new car.
      Ah, I thought the flashing stuff was in the little box with the button/switch. Not a problem though I have no issues with soldering.

Do you think this would have the same output as the one with the 6 LEDs? I prefer the look of the COB but don't want to lose any intensity. I wish they were just a bit longer (both versions). They are almost exactly the same length as the OEM light. I could run both of them but I don't like the gap. There are longer versions but they are a bit too long, expensive and possibly dimmer.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/12V-...9-b5322b5a81b5

Hopefully these will only be temporary as I still do want to end up with the roof top brake light but it won't happen soon.

Stumbled upon this post about HIR 921 reverse light bulbs. Pretty interesting
      https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/...r-leds.474996/

Comment

Did you get those Alla bulbs yet?

I started getting my stuff together so I can start testing the T20 versions along with the generic "triton killers" and some VLEDS bulbs. Again Alla themselves state to use them only as turn signals and not DRLs, but yet the socket connector has two pairs of contacts like a dual filament bulb. For the hell of it I powered up just the "dim" pair of contacts and the bulb lit up at partial brightness. So perhaps they meant not to run them in "bright mode" continuously, like how some Toyota/Lexus/Scion models use the front signals (in full brightness, not dimmed at all) as DRLs. When I do run the tests I might try running the Alla bulb in "dim mode" continously and see if it fails (1 year warranty LOL)
        Originally posted by HK45
        I don't even look to see what Eddie writes anymore. I'm too busy staring at his avatar.

Comment

Do you think this would have the same output as the one with the 6 LEDs? I prefer the look of the COB but don't want to lose any intensity. I wish they were just a bit longer (both versions). They are almost exactly the same length as the OEM light. I could run both of them but I don't like the gap. There are longer versions but they are a bit too long, expensive and possibly dimmer.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/12V-...9-b5322b5a81b5

It might be comparable, but I doubt it's brighter. I saw those as well, but prefered the regular LED ones. The COB just doesn't intuitively seem like it would be as bright. But that's why I'm buying stuff from Amazon, so I can just return it easily. I am going to return those units after all, after the expensive ones I ordered arrive.

Originally posted by Eddie View Post
          So perhaps they meant not to run them in "bright mode" continuously, like how some Toyota/Lexus/Scion models use the front signals (in full brightness, not dimmed at all) as DRLs.
          Of course that's what they mean. Not meant to be full brightness 24/7. But dimmed 24/7 is fine

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie View Post
            Did you get those Alla bulbs yet?

I started getting my stuff together so I can start testing the T20 versions along with the generic "triton killers" and some VLEDS bulbs. Again Alla themselves state to use them only as turn signals and not DRLs, but yet the socket connector has two pairs of contacts like a dual filament bulb. For the hell of it I powered up just the "dim" pair of contacts and the bulb lit up at partial brightness. So perhaps they meant not to run them in "bright mode" continuously, like how some Toyota/Lexus/Scion models use the front signals (in full brightness, not dimmed at all) as DRLs. When I do run the tests I might try running the Alla bulb in "dim mode" continously and see if it fails (1 year warranty LOL)
            Nope, I'm in Canada and as crazy as it sounds it's a lot harder to get stuff here at a reasonable price. The USA has free shipping where as it's never less then $20 for anything being shipped here and it has to go through customs which add more fees and taxes. So I had two options, buy the generic ones from China at a suprisingly higher cost before shipping but with free shipping from China making the overall cost lower. And will take about 2 months to get here. Or wait till I or someone I know goes to the states. Thankfully I had someone I knew was going on vacation in the next couple weeks. And now I'm also am going down there, last minute that was unexpected. So if I can get them shipped to me down there I'll be bringing them back with me.

As far as I understood they are supposed to be setup for dual filament, at least that's what the description said. So I'm glad they sound like they function as they should. And I agree with gold94, I think they aren't supposed to used at full brightness DRLs. In my car they are parking lights so that's why I wanted to dual filament as they will be constantly on at night on low brightness

Originally posted by gold94corolla View Post
            It might be comparable, but I doubt it's brighter. I saw those as well, but prefered the regular LED ones. The COB just doesn't intuitively seem like it would be as bright. But that's why I'm buying stuff from Amazon, so I can just return it easily. I am going to return those units after all, after the expensive ones I ordered arrive.

Of course that's what they mean. Not meant to be full brightness 24/7. But dimmed 24/7 is fine
            As long as it would be just bright I would be happy, definitely wouldn't expect it to be brighter. Last I was looking at light COB strips weren't very bright at all so they have definitely improved, just as everything has. I do agree I feels like they wouldn't be as bright.

Why are you returning them?

Unfortunately, I don't have the Amazon option. See above. Only real option is China and pray.

(Yes there is amazon in Canada but it's so different, in that it's not really that cheap or has anything going for it like it does in the states. It doesn't get used up here half as much.)

Comment

Do those super stupid bright bulbs come in bayonet base as well? 1156?
              2000 Celica GTS 'slowest gts evar'
              1998 Mazda 626 FS-DE/CD4E 'mom-mobile'

Comment

Originally posted by Bitter View Post
                Do those super stupid bright bulbs come in bayonet base as well? 1156?
                Yep, cheapest I've found 1156. Unless you are talking about the Alla, they also sell 1156

Sadly, I need them in 1157 for a different car and they are way more expensive. Stupid design of the car as it uses a 1157 socket but only a single filament, for rear turn signals.

Comment

I meant 1157, whoops. I'm thinking about replacing my front corn cobs with these maybe.
                  2000 Celica GTS 'slowest gts evar'
                  1998 Mazda 626 FS-DE/CD4E 'mom-mobile'

Comment

Yeah they do make them in a 1157 but they are a bit more difficult to find and are more expensive. They are on ebay or aliexpress. The alla's may be better for turn signals but we'll see
                    ​​​​​​
                    Ordered all my USA stuff today, hopefully it gets there before I leave The rest will be coming from China and with the new year will probably be a couple months

Comment

Why are you returning them?
                      They ended up being too big for what I wanted, just too obnoxious having the red units next to the ambers. And the ambers weren't a good color, they were more like warm white, didn't match at all. And the mounting has to be done from the side, making it impossible to put them against the C pillar like I wanted.

I ended up going with 4 Feniex Fusion lights, stacked on a bracket, then mounted to the ceiling. Like this.

only 5.5" x 2.5". we'll see how it goes when they arrive.

Comment

Well despite usps delivering some packages to the wrong address, I did get most of my packages. So I got my Alla leds, Auxito clones and cree xpe2 stars. Played around with the Alla and Auxito clones.

First up the Alla. I'll mention the cons first. One thing I found when playing around was when my battery voltage dropped to about 10.5v. With one Alla led bulb in, it stopped working entirely and actually killed my blinker/flasher entirely, none of my incandescent bulbs flashed until unplugging the Alla led. I guess that's one of the cons of LED lights? Only situation where this would matter is broken down at the side of the road. The standard bulbs would get dimmer as the voltage drops but wouldn't turn off entirely (to a point). Which is a bit better then the car going completely dark.
                        Secondly the "box"/resistor gets very hot. I personally would prefer the option to run the leds without the resistor.I don't need it for canbus and would prefer to just replace my flasher module. Less heat and wasted energy. I wanted to get the cons out of the way first.

EDIT: Turns out there isn't a resistor in there according to alla.
                        For some vehicles, it may require to install the load resistor to avoid the error code or signal hyper flash

Pros. Well I'm very pleased with them. I tried them in a few different housings and they worked well in all of them. Better in some rather then the others. They fit better in some housings better than others. My two cars they fit really snug into, perfect as far as I'm concerned. In my dads truck it was wasn't as good of a fit, the socket is a bit bigger and it left some gaps.

I ran them at 100% brightness, no blinking for a few minutes and the heatsinks got warm but not too hot, could hold your hand on it but not for a long time. The resistor box on the other hand could not be touched. I actually touched it after the lights were off ( for about 30 seconds) and it almost burnt me. I would suspect they don't get quite as hot when flashing like the way they are supposed to be used. I won't not run these 100% with no flashing, which they aren't intended for.

They are CK compatible. I tried putting power/ground on every different combination of pins and they worked fine in any configuration. My car uses a CK socket.

Completely forgot to line up the bulb with the 3157 bulb in the socket, but playing with my comparison picture from earlier in the thread, the filament alignment for 3157 bulb should be very close. Also from my picture of the T20/7440 socket compared with the Alla, it looks like my previous comparison picture is pretty accurate. Looks like the domed tip lines up with the filament, so they are a bit on the short side for that socket/bulb type.

Alla LED videos

Stock vs Alla on the wall, the alla are very much in the wrong spot as they these aren't intended for a T20 socket so I just held them in, so filament alignment is way off. This was to try and show intensity.

Bare bulbs, stock vs Alla

Stock vs Alla in front turn signals, inside garage

Night Video on the Subaru

Overcast On my Dads truck compared to stock bulb
                        evo77, check this one out, this is the truck I was saying has brutal OEM turn signal design.

I didn't get any wall shots with the front turn signals, too cold and didn't want to spin the car around. Had to take airbox/ battery out to replace the fronts.

Lastly I now have some stars (XP-E2) to play with. Need to figure out how to power them and then when I get some free time work on the reflectors.
                        Specs here

So far I'm happy with the Alla, trying some "triton" killers in the rear and some Auxito reverse lights when they get here from china. Finally working on getting dimensions for the osram joules as they are going to be a challenge to fit and might not have a hope of working. Would be interesting to try and modify the Alla to be a bit thinner. I am likely going to be cutting the dome/tip off another pair that will be going into my dads truck. When the videos are up it will likely explain why.
                        Last edited by bnevets27; February 20th, 2019, 02:27 PM.

Comment

Nice! I ordered those Alla bulbs as well for my crosstrek. Headlight retrofit will take place soon but my bench test proved brighter than stock. Hope I don't get any issues.

I got Luxeon Rebel 3-up in red orange and used the Mean Well LDD-L driver @ 350mA https://www.ledsupply.com/led-driver...step-down-mode. Worked great.

Comment

I guess I should have figured out what I'll need for a power supply before making that order....Oh well. Since I'm a noob with building LEDs. I could use some confirmation. According to the LED supply, I should times the voltage specs by 3 for the 3-up star. So the XP-E2 specs say 2.2-2.6V @ 350mA, up to 2.65V @1000mA.

So that would work out to be. 6.6v @ 350mA to 7.95v @ 1000mA

Can I assume using something like this is fine for bench testing? Barring no heat dissipation issues, would the optimal be around (2.5v x3=) 7.5v @ 800mA ? I'm guess thats better then pushing them hard at 7.95v @ 1000mA, which might be too bright anyway. Guessing that if @ 350mA the output 80 lm each chip x 3 = 240 lm. Then at 700mA total lumen should be 480 lm, if I got that right. Since the tritons output 300lm, they should be more then bright enough running at 700mA

Looks like the osram joules will be either challenging or impossible to fit due to how the stock bulbs are fitted. If I can find some with a bit longer light tube I may be able to clean the metal of the car.

Only decent measurement pic I can find

Otherwise I think I'll need a bulb with 360 light output. The tritons do seem like a good option but they are just too pricey....

Comment

Well the enjoyment/excitement of the Alla bulbs wore off pretty quick sadly. One bulb started to cause kind of hyper flashing, after being on for a bit (reasonable time under normal use), it will flash fast then normal, then fast then normal. While the other bulb is noticeably dimmer than the hyper flashing bulb. I've sent an email off to Alla. We'll see how that goes.

EDIT: Well it's been over a week since I sent an email to Alla and I haven't got a response. Sad that what look to be good bulbs have to come from a company that doesn't look to care. I had plans to buy a bunch more of these for my cars/family etc. So they will be loosing a decent amount of business from me. I'll likely post a dedicated thread for these as I feel they deserve it. They definitely have their positives but sadly their lack of response adds a big negative.

EDIT2: They finally got back to me about a day after I made the above edit (so a bit over a week). Once I get get a response they have been much more expedited on responses. And have been easy to deal with. So they are gaining my trust as far as customer service is concerned. They are out of stock but will be shipping replacements in a few days.

Last edited by bnevets27; March 5th, 2019, 10:18 PM.

Comment

Well I got my "triton killers" in the mail today and proceeded to put them in the rear turn signals.......My eyes are still trying to recover. I honestly can not believe the insane brightness of these things. Car was parked in the garage and while I do have some video and pictures, it's packed and messy so I'll try and get some better ones later on if there is any interest. The ones I do have aren't good for seeing the "beam pattern", I suspect it will be pretty poor as the light was everywhere, probably like 180 degrees of light. And since the filament alignment is so far off it's not surprising.

Honestly they are just too bright to use, they were actually blinding me standing behind the car 10/15 ft away. At least in my car I would say they are actually unsafe. They are bright enough to wash out the brake lights. They are so bright that the afterglow of the lights in your eyes, make them seem like incandescent bulbs as the seem like they don't have crisp/instant on off. They do but you can't tell unless looking from beside the car looking towards the back of it.

I'm not sure what my next move is going to be. Maybe try to dim them but the "beam" is likely terrible and it won't fix that. One other thing I didn't like is they got too "white" the Alla bulbs keep a nice amber/yellow even at full brightness, these don't look as nice colour wise at all. Dimming them might help with this maybe?

For now I'm definitely sticking with my stock incandescents. Part of me is wondering if there is actually any need to go LEDs in the rear of my car. The stock performance isn't that bad. But the front did need a boost (parity due to the slight darkening of the reflector during the headlight retrofit). It would allow me to tin the rear lenses slightly as the output would still be brighter then stock.

I also go the Auxito reverse bulbs installed. Previously only saw them during the day, saw them at night today. They are borderline too bright also but are thankfully only reverse lights. Again I have pics but they are poor and during daylight so I'll get better ones later. They did fit very well, nice and snug. So a quick review would be, they fit, and are bright as hell so if that's what you are going for they will be perfect. A bit blue to me but I prefer warmer light so its likely just a tad over pure white. I do like the whiter light in this case though, generally I don't care about looks but they do look at lot nice then the incandescents.

So a bit of "back to the drawing board"

Oh and I'm getting close to hitting the buy button on the emergency strobe lights (I'm a bit indecisive). I did see your review on amazon @gold94corolla, they do look plenty bright through tint....so that's good. I hope not "too" bright.

Comment

Working...
                                X