2009 Subaru Legacy HID retrofit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bnevets27 View Post
    Other then figuring out a nice mount and making sure the light doesn't bounce back into the cabin. And as long as mine end up being just as bright as yours then it should be an easy and quick install, just 2 wires.

Sadly I went to the website for the flasher last night. And they don't have the g-senor ones for sale anymore And I honestly can't find them for sale anywhere now. I was holding off till I had LEDs because I want a quick flash. I did email them, got this response
    well you do have to take the lights apart to remove the flasher unit (requires desoldering/resoldering) it's a super easy bypass. The wiring is also very easy. It comes with 3 wires, but you'll only need two. The first unit serves as a pass-through to the other, so you could wire the lights both to each other and use two wires, or wire the second light to the third wire with a common ground to control them separately (like if you wanted to use them for turn signals).

Sucks to hear about the g-sensor flasher though, I'll have to keep that in mind if I change cars, to pull it out first so I can install it on the new car.

Comment

Originally posted by gold94corolla View Post

well you do have to take the lights apart to remove the flasher unit (requires desoldering/resoldering) it's a super easy bypass. The wiring is also very easy. It comes with 3 wires, but you'll only need two. The first unit serves as a pass-through to the other, so you could wire the lights both to each other and use two wires, or wire the second light to the third wire with a common ground to control them separately (like if you wanted to use them for turn signals).

Sucks to hear about the g-sensor flasher though, I'll have to keep that in mind if I change cars, to pull it out first so I can install it on the new car.
      Ah, I thought the flashing stuff was in the little box with the button/switch. Not a problem though I have no issues with soldering.

Do you think this would have the same output as the one with the 6 LEDs? I prefer the look of the COB but don't want to lose any intensity. I wish they were just a bit longer (both versions). They are almost exactly the same length as the OEM light. I could run both of them but I don't like the gap. There are longer versions but they are a bit too long, expensive and possibly dimmer.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/12V-...9-b5322b5a81b5

Hopefully these will only be temporary as I still do want to end up with the roof top brake light but it won't happen soon.

Stumbled upon this post about HIR 921 reverse light bulbs. Pretty interesting
      https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/...r-leds.474996/

Comment

Did you get those Alla bulbs yet?

I started getting my stuff together so I can start testing the T20 versions along with the generic "triton killers" and some VLEDS bulbs. Again Alla themselves state to use them only as turn signals and not DRLs, but yet the socket connector has two pairs of contacts like a dual filament bulb. For the hell of it I powered up just the "dim" pair of contacts and the bulb lit up at partial brightness. So perhaps they meant not to run them in "bright mode" continuously, like how some Toyota/Lexus/Scion models use the front signals (in full brightness, not dimmed at all) as DRLs. When I do run the tests I might try running the Alla bulb in "dim mode" continously and see if it fails (1 year warranty LOL)
        Originally posted by HK45
        I don't even look to see what Eddie writes anymore. I'm too busy staring at his avatar.

Comment

Do you think this would have the same output as the one with the 6 LEDs? I prefer the look of the COB but don't want to lose any intensity. I wish they were just a bit longer (both versions). They are almost exactly the same length as the OEM light. I could run both of them but I don't like the gap. There are longer versions but they are a bit too long, expensive and possibly dimmer.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/12V-...9-b5322b5a81b5

It might be comparable, but I doubt it's brighter. I saw those as well, but prefered the regular LED ones. The COB just doesn't intuitively seem like it would be as bright. But that's why I'm buying stuff from Amazon, so I can just return it easily. I am going to return those units after all, after the expensive ones I ordered arrive.

Originally posted by Eddie View Post
          So perhaps they meant not to run them in "bright mode" continuously, like how some Toyota/Lexus/Scion models use the front signals (in full brightness, not dimmed at all) as DRLs.
          Of course that's what they mean. Not meant to be full brightness 24/7. But dimmed 24/7 is fine

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie View Post
            Did you get those Alla bulbs yet?

I started getting my stuff together so I can start testing the T20 versions along with the generic "triton killers" and some VLEDS bulbs. Again Alla themselves state to use them only as turn signals and not DRLs, but yet the socket connector has two pairs of contacts like a dual filament bulb. For the hell of it I powered up just the "dim" pair of contacts and the bulb lit up at partial brightness. So perhaps they meant not to run them in "bright mode" continuously, like how some Toyota/Lexus/Scion models use the front signals (in full brightness, not dimmed at all) as DRLs. When I do run the tests I might try running the Alla bulb in "dim mode" continously and see if it fails (1 year warranty LOL)
            Nope, I'm in Canada and as crazy as it sounds it's a lot harder to get stuff here at a reasonable price. The USA has free shipping where as it's never less then $20 for anything being shipped here and it has to go through customs which add more fees and taxes. So I had two options, buy the generic ones from China at a suprisingly higher cost before shipping but with free shipping from China making the overall cost lower. And will take about 2 months to get here. Or wait till I or someone I know goes to the states. Thankfully I had someone I knew was going on vacation in the next couple weeks. And now I'm also am going down there, last minute that was unexpected. So if I can get them shipped to me down there I'll be bringing them back with me.

As far as I understood they are supposed to be setup for dual filament, at least that's what the description said. So I'm glad they sound like they function as they should. And I agree with gold94, I think they aren't supposed to used at full brightness DRLs. In my car they are parking lights so that's why I wanted to dual filament as they will be constantly on at night on low brightness

Originally posted by gold94corolla View Post
            It might be comparable, but I doubt it's brighter. I saw those as well, but prefered the regular LED ones. The COB just doesn't intuitively seem like it would be as bright. But that's why I'm buying stuff from Amazon, so I can just return it easily. I am going to return those units after all, after the expensive ones I ordered arrive.

Of course that's what they mean. Not meant to be full brightness 24/7. But dimmed 24/7 is fine
            As long as it would be just bright I would be happy, definitely wouldn't expect it to be brighter. Last I was looking at light COB strips weren't very bright at all so they have definitely improved, just as everything has. I do agree I feels like they wouldn't be as bright.

Why are you returning them?

Unfortunately, I don't have the Amazon option. See above. Only real option is China and pray.

(Yes there is amazon in Canada but it's so different, in that it's not really that cheap or has anything going for it like it does in the states. It doesn't get used up here half as much.)

Comment

Do those super stupid bright bulbs come in bayonet base as well? 1156?
              2000 Celica GTS 'slowest gts evar'
              1998 Mazda 626 FS-DE/CD4E 'mom-mobile'

Comment

Originally posted by Bitter View Post
                Do those super stupid bright bulbs come in bayonet base as well? 1156?
                Yep, cheapest I've found 1156. Unless you are talking about the Alla, they also sell 1156

Sadly, I need them in 1157 for a different car and they are way more expensive. Stupid design of the car as it uses a 1157 socket but only a single filament, for rear turn signals.

Comment

I meant 1157, whoops. I'm thinking about replacing my front corn cobs with these maybe.
                  2000 Celica GTS 'slowest gts evar'
                  1998 Mazda 626 FS-DE/CD4E 'mom-mobile'

Comment

Yeah they do make them in a 1157 but they are a bit more difficult to find and are more expensive. They are on ebay or aliexpress. The alla's may be better for turn signals but we'll see
                    ​​​​​​
                    Ordered all my USA stuff today, hopefully it gets there before I leave The rest will be coming from China and with the new year will probably be a couple months

Comment

Why are you returning them?
                      They ended up being too big for what I wanted, just too obnoxious having the red units next to the ambers. And the ambers weren't a good color, they were more like warm white, didn't match at all. And the mounting has to be done from the side, making it impossible to put them against the C pillar like I wanted.

I ended up going with 4 Feniex Fusion lights, stacked on a bracket, then mounted to the ceiling. Like this.

only 5.5" x 2.5". we'll see how it goes when they arrive.

Comment

Working...
                      X