Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2014 Chevy Cruze Turbo Diesel Retro (Cut to open permaseal)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 2014 Chevy Cruze Turbo Diesel Retro (Cut to open permaseal)

    Time came to retro my new commuter car. I drive 210 km a day for work and the morning leg of this commute is pitch black on a rural highway.

    My last retrofit I opened up a set of permaseal lights with a lot of patience but did mangle one of the mounting tabs in the process. The Cruze headlight is more sophisticated and I didn't think I could get into them without damaging the housing. So this was my first attempt at cutting them open using a dremel instead.

    Parts:
    Mini D2S 4.0 Round LHD
    Apollo 3.0 Flat
    XB55 (regret not getting a 35/55w switchable)
    XB55 4800K D2S bulbs
    H13 Motocontrol Relay



    What I started with was a 2014 Chevy Cruze Diesel I use for commuting. The headlights are your standard H13 (dual filament) halogen reflector. This is what they looked like before.






    Pfft Permaseal. I got into these badboys in 5 minutes. I cut using a a dremel. However, I'd use a cutting tip on a soldering iron next time and plastic weld them closed.



    Reflector buckets removed. I used a bit of heat to pop them out. I broke one of the mounts in my last retro... I also used soapy/water to re-install them with a bit of heat to soften the plastic up.



    Note: these shrouds fit perfectly without trimming. Win! I got the flats because of the shape of the reflector bucket; however, once I opened them up I realized that I wouldn't be able to make the flats parallel to the reflector bucket without throwing my alignment off or removing the mounting tabs of the shrouds. You can't tell when it's installed however so mounted the projector level and then popped the shrouds on.

    I did however, have to trim down the back of the reflector bucket where the bulb mounts. There wasn't enough shaft engagement to lock it in and put a bulb cap on. I took off approximately 3/4" I didnt' take a picture of this, sorry.


    Now for the sealing. I used Permatex RTV. I prefer this stuff because it has some elastic properties to it so it's less prone to cracking. You could also seal a screen door to a boat with it.

    Here is the finished product:



    Looks factory don't you think?

    And back in the car....



    Aside from being a significant improvement on the lighting, it also made the car look more aggressive and modern.




    And here is what the lighting looks like middle of the day.




    Note: when I took this pic the drivers side bulb wasn't fully seated.


    Overall, I vastly prefer cutting them open and I think the permatex is holding up very well. I know if I did this again I'd cut around some of the mounting hardware vs. going straight through it. I also regret cutting immediately after the lens holder because it was difficult to re-align the two pieces afterward--you couldn't tell where it was supposed to go vertically...if that makes sense. Next time I'd cut a little back from it so that it is very obvious for remounting. IE: the way I cut it it looked like this

    "| -----" vs -"---- -----" with the lens side on the left.

    Next time I'd use a soldering iron to open them and a welding tip to close them. The worst part about using the permatex was waiting 24 hours for it to cure. I have more faith in a plastic weld than an adhesive.

    I think they turned out really well. I was going for a 'factory' look and IMO, I got one.

    Andrew
    Last edited by kelaog1; November 1st, 2018, 11:21 AM.

  • #2
    Looks great and OEM! And very nice output too. Hopefully it holds up and lasts, but it should. You could probably still plastic weld it in places just in case.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by kelaog1 View Post

      Now for the sealing. I used Permatex RTV. I prefer this stuff because it has some elastic properties to it so it's less prone to cracking. You could also seal a screen door to a boat with it.

      Here is the finished product:



      Last edited by Eddie; November 2nd, 2018, 03:59 PM.
      Originally posted by HK45
      I don't even look to see what Eddie writes anymore. I'm too busy staring at his avatar.

      Comment


      • #4
        the funny thing about that is that you can use latex paint over a screen door to do exactly the same thing.

        but saying that your boat is afloat with paint isn't as attractive.
        The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time

        Comment


        • #5
          That looks great (the retrofit, not that boat lel)

          Comment


          • #6
            Thanks all.

            LOL, Eddie.

            I'm so far happy with them. Except I'm having my passenger side fail to light intermittently. I swapped igniters but the problem remained. I'll swap ballasts and see if that changes anything.

            Comment

            Working...
            X