2011 Chevy Silverado Prerunner D2S 4.0s + Baja Designs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2011 Chevy Silverado Prerunner D2S 4.0s + Baja Designs

Hey guys! First post here. Figured I'd sign up to share my build so far and learn some tips and trucks. Wanted to get some opinions on some things as well.

For background, my truck is a 2011 Silverado 1500 6.2L. Currently in the process of building a street legal prerunner for the desert. Lots of $$$ and time involved haha. Id say the truck is about 25% done lol. Fiberglass on and most of the front long travel. Engine is tuned with full exhaust and headers, etc. Waiting on my new rear end to build the rear and bedcage. Then we're supercharging it and caging it eventually etc etc.

Anyways, been running hid kits for years in trucks probably blinding the crap out of people. Tried some drop in LEDs that just weren't cutting it. Also, got some blacked out ebay housings cause I liked the look recently and found out light output is even more horrible and they leak water lol. I tend to go all out on things so next thing I know I came across retrofitting and was researching and researching and then dove into this project. I wanted to be able to drive on the street at night and actually see the road and not blind people.

Been working on these for a longgg time. Definitely a learning curve to try and do things right. Some things I wish I did better but overall pretty satisfied. Can't wait to actually get them back on the truck though! Stuck at work for another two weeks. I utilized some baja designs lights in the housing as well. Probably not something you see here often but this is mostly an offroad truck and Im a big fan of baja designs offroad lights. They are far superior led lights than most of the ones you see these days.

The front bar on my truck is a Baja Designs 30" onx6 high power. It draws 25 amps and puts out 34,950 lumens. Its impressive. Also, a warmer led than you normally find in the cheaper light bars. Performed great the little Ive had it in the desert at night so far. More baja designs lights to go in the grill soon. All leds are/will be controlled by my switch pros SP9100 unit. So they are dimmable, strobeable, flashable, triggered by dimmer circuit, or triggered by high beams, etc.

Heres the headlight build.

-DEPO black housings to start with
    -2 x Morimoto D2S 4.0 square bi-xenon projectors
    -Custom brackets and designs projector brackets
    -Square gattling gun 2.0 shrouds
    -2 x Baja Designs Squadron lights (controlled separately by switch pros unit, can be triggered by high beam through unit)
    -baja designs amber lights
    -4 x Baja Designs Amber rock lights (controlled by switch pros unit, triggered by night time dimmer, and dimmed to 10% for street driving)
    -2 x diode dynamic HD switch back strips for turn signals (crazy bright!)

-planning to use the 35w hlyux canbus ballasts I have
    -Phillips D2S extreme vision bulbs

Anyways, some pics of my truck as it sits so far and some pics of the headlights. They aren't perfect but Im pretty pleased so far. Figuring up how to seal the back of them was quite the chore. Let me know what you think.

The only major problem Ive ran in to so far, and why they havent been installed fully yet, is there is just barely not enough room behind the projector for the D2S adapter. Really sucks. The headlights will fit perfectly with the D2S bulb installed without about 1/2" clearance to the frame piece/ radiator support that is there. Not nearly enough room to fit these huge D2S adapters. I may end up having to run some D2H bulbs and might bump up to the 45watt hlyux ballasts to make up for the output loss. Sucks I already bought the Phillips extreme vision bulbs though. Does anyone have experience on these trucks clearancing the radiator support? I have searched and searched the internet without much info or any pictures at all. Appreciate your thoughts!

Nice work! I like the square theme. Have you tried taking the cover off the D2S plug? It looks to be clipped on. Maybe you can gain some clearance by modifying it, just make sure it's well insulated! 23,000 volts is no joke.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder
    2017 Lexus CT200h F Sport

Comment

Originally posted by Haloruler64 View Post
      Nice work! I like the square theme. Have you tried taking the cover off the D2S plug? It looks to be clipped on. Maybe you can gain some clearance by modifying it, just make sure it's well insulated! 23,000 volts is no joke.
      Yah :/ I actually bought a few sets of different type of AMP to D2S connectors and have torn them all apart trying to make it work. No luck they way they are assembled theres no way to gain any real room. You'd be surprised how cheaply assembled some of those d2s connectors are! The NHK ones arent bad though, but theyre huge! Really sucks.

I wanted to run the Phillips extreme vision bulbs to get the most output possible but the only way to fit them is going to require some hacking up of the radiator support which Im not too sure of. Going to look at it more when I get home from work in a few weeks.

For now as a back up I also ordered some Morimoto D2H 5500k bulbs. I think those will fit no problem but not be as bright as the phillips so I might try bumping up to a 45watt ballast. From my research though on here, Ive been lurking haha, a lot of people dont seem to promote going over 35watts at all. So we'll see. May end up just trimming that support if possible.

Comment

Well Im really bummed this forum is totally dead :/ but just an update, I ordered some of those new holders for the D2S 4.0. Should be nice! Still trying to find info on clearancing the radiator to fit a normal D2S bulb with the big adapter.

Comment

I'm more into checking out stuff and lucking/reading than posting these days haha. Looks great!

Comment

Nice, you may want to try the Hyperdrive pair of 80w lamps which are more efficient. Check them at https://www.lividlighting.com

Comment

Did you ever ever get this figured out Captain? Iím just about to do the same retro for a friends truck. Iíll take any pointers youíve got! Thanks.

Originally posted by CaptainBeard714 View Post

Yah :/ I actually bought a few sets of different type of AMP to D2S connectors and have torn them all apart trying to make it work. No luck they way they are assembled theres no way to gain any real room. You'd be surprised how cheaply assembled some of those d2s connectors are! The NHK ones arent bad though, but theyre huge! Really sucks.

I wanted to run the Phillips extreme vision bulbs to get the most output possible but the only way to fit them is going to require some hacking up of the radiator support which Im not too sure of. Going to look at it more when I get home from work in a few weeks.

For now as a back up I also ordered some Morimoto D2H 5500k bulbs. I think those will fit no problem but not be as bright as the phillips so I might try bumping up to a 45watt ballast. From my research though on here, Ive been lurking haha, a lot of people dont seem to promote going over 35watts at all. So we'll see. May end up just trimming that support if possible.

Comment

Working...
              X