Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2006 Lexus GX470 Retrofit using RX330 non-AFS projectors.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2006 Lexus GX470 Retrofit using RX330 non-AFS projectors.

Finally got around to finishing my Dadís GX retrofit. Had several RX330 non-AFS projectors laying in my basement (THANKS EDDIE!). The halogen projectors in the GX are similar to the RX projectors in the fact that they share the same spacing between the bottom two mounting screws. This was a huge benefit when mounting the RX projectors, as I didnít have to adjust for rotational alignment. Hereís a story with some pictures as to how I got it to work.
    Unfortunately I didnít take a picture of what the RX projector looks like untouched, but Iím sure most experienced retrofitters know what they are. Hereís a picture of the difference between the stock cutoff shield and bracket for the GX (right) vs. RX (left)

I started by cutting the entire top half of the GX shield off, and drilling the rivets out that held the factory cutoff shield and squirrel finder:

I then had to grind all of the alignment pins off of the lens holder and bottom of the projector bowl that mounted through whatís left of the GX shield. I had to cut down A LOT of the RX shield in order to make this work in the end. THE PICTURES ARE NOT THE END RESULT. I HAD TO GRIND THE SHIELD TO PERFECTLY CONTOUR WITH THE BOWL.

Managed to talk my dad into doing a passive black demon eye, it went really well with the color we painted the shroud/housing.

I then used some Dupli-color wheel paint in graphite to paint the shrouds:

Hereís a couple of pictures of the shroud sitting on top of the now mounted projector brackets.

All mounted up onto the truck!

All done! Plus bonus bed-lined grill for a darker front end look. Also painted the housings for the fog lights to match the headlights.

Thatís all folks! Iíll upload some finished output shots when I get some. I get so excited finished these up that I get ahead of myself and forget to take pictures.

Thanks for looking and let me know your thoughts!

temporary imgur link until i figure this out: https://imgur.com/a/rg8hfTP
    Last edited by Zac.; June 7th, 2018, 06:47 PM.

Pics aren't working

I've decided to retro my parents' GX470 while they're out on vacation, almost finished my dad's CRV retro so the GX is next in line. What temperature and time did you use for the headlights and fogs?

Originally posted by HK45
    I don't even look to see what Eddie writes anymore. I'm too busy staring at his avatar.

Comment

Well crap. I did the same thing I did last time and they worked then, not sure what happened this time..

Comment

Looks like you're using Tapatalk and it's using weird way of posting the pic

Comment

I did use Tapatalk. That way worked for me when I posted my RX450h build.

Comment

added a link to the Imgur album for those that would like to see the progress and end result.

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie View Post
              Pics aren't working

I've decided to retro my parents' GX470 while they're out on vacation, almost finished my dad's CRV retro so the GX is next in line. What temperature and time did you use for the headlights and fogs?
              The fog lights I just used a heat gun and worked slowly. That sucked lol. The headlights I baked at 215 for 8 or 9 minutes. When i went back together with the fogs I put them in for 5 minutes at that temp.

Comment

I see the pics now

Looks like metal strips along the bottom lens holder screws, is it to keep the shield pressed against the bowl since you trimmed off most of the original GX shield/bracket?

I planned to keep the amber reflector out, but it it looks funny without it,thought the reflector was a flat piece. I may have to paint the housings too, it appears the chrome is fading at the upper areas, lenses are going to need polishing too. I plasti-dipped the grill a few years ago because the existing paint was full of rock chips, the 'dip is definitely more durable.

The blacked out fog housings remind me of the sport package equipped GX's.

I picked up a pair of DD SL1's for the high beams (Memorial Day sale from Lightwerkz), have only one installed at the moment because I want to use a light meter to compare. Its does look brighter and definitely a bigger hotspot, and it matches the color of the PNP's I'm currently running.
                I don't even look to see what Eddie writes anymore. I'm too busy staring at his avatar.

Comment

You would be correct. The only thing holding the lens there is whatís left of the GX bracket, the one top screw, and the alignment pins on the 2 oíclock and 10 oíclock areas. Whatís left of the bracket just helps keep the shield true to the bowl for proper alignment of the cutoff.

please let me know how those LEDs work out for you in the high beams dads looking for a new high beam, and saw on the GX forums where that Profile High beam module from TRS is almost a perfect fit. Looking for something with a little more punch if we can find it.

Comment

Those Profiles won't make good main high beams. What GX forum is that?

I like the OEM projector highbeams, thought of upgrading to HIRs but Lightwerkz tested the 9005 SL1 vs HIR in a highbeam (although it was a reflector not projector) and the SL1's outdid the HIRs. I'll try to meter the SL1 vs standard 9005 halogen this weekend
                    Last edited by Eddie; June 8th, 2018, 04:21 PM.

Comment

Itís more of an ďall things Land CruiserĒ forum, but hereís the link:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/gx4...1058145/page-2

Comment

Ah ih8mud. The OP also has a thread about his LX470 brackets here, small world.

Comment

Oh nice. Dad loves that forum. Gives him all sorts of good ideas to modify his GX. Lol.

Comment

Did a quick light meter measurement at my work's parking lot, I was parked about 15-20 feet from the wall, pulled the fuses off the lowbeams so they don't affect the results. I moved the meter sensor to around the hotspots until I got the highest reading then held it there for a few seconds until the numbers stabilized. I planned to measure several points in the hotspot and take pics but had all sorts of bugs annoying the crap out of me.

1480 lux for the halogen, changed the bulbs at least a year ago since one burnt out, just a standard replacement, no high-wattage or tinted glass.
                            1590 lux for the SL1s. Hotspot was also wider than halogen.

Comment

Nice! Thanks for testing that.

Where you testing 9011 HIRs for the halogen results?

Comment

Working...
                              X