2013 Lexus RX450h RX350 "Retrofit"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2013 Lexus RX450h RX350 "Retrofit"

Let me start this post with a disclaimer: If you came here expecting a super awesome custom headlight job, you're in the wrong place.. BUT I thank you for stopping by to see my little (very little) project!

My wife and I bought a 2013 Lexus RX450h several months ago, for those that don't know, the 2013+ model years were face-lifted to have the spindle grill and the LED running lights. This particular front end is much more appealing to us (And most people, you see these things EVERYWHERE). Unfortunately, with the face-lift, the RX lost what was so good about it - the BiXenon projectors that we all know and love!

I managed to get a hold of a busted up 2013 headlight to take apart and look to see what was inside. Lo and behold, Lexus just changed the cutoff shield to a fixed shield instead of the BiXenon shield. I knew this meant that I could easily mount up some BiXenons for some extra high beam goodness. Without further ado, here's some pictures of my project.

Here's the first couple of pictures of it, just to give you an idea of what I'm working with:

took the bumper cover off:

got this guy out and ready for dissection!

these things are so big, they barely fit in our oven..

a quick 10 minutes at 215 degrees, and viola!

After that it was just 3 screws and two connectors for the DRL strip and 4 screws for the housing shroud

Then off with the aiming screws and the pivot joint:

Here's where my favorite part came into play.. The reflector and lens are identical between the two..

So since I bought a used projector from a 2010 model car, and got another from my collision center, I was able to swap the dusty bowl from the older units and put my still-new bowls on, so I ended up with a perfect set of RX350s.

The actual modifications came into play at this point though. Here is a picture of the AFS motor mount from the RX350.

Since the 2013+ models came with ONLY auto-leveling, NOT AFS, I had to shave parts of the leveling motor mount to account for the solenoid for the BiXenon projector

This wasn't the extent of the modification, but I got caught up in the work and forgot to take pictures after the modification and mounting it all back up.

Long story short, I was able to drill a small hole in a dust cap in the back of the headlights to pass the BiXenon pigtail wires through, and used TRS' 9006 connector and high beam splitters to make it all work.

Mounted the headlights back onto the car for a quick sanding and buffing, and here's what it looks like now:

My goal was to keep it perfectly OEM, so it doesn't look any different from when I started. This is a good thing, because how many modified Lexus RXs do you see rolling around??
    Thanks for viewing, hope you guys enjoy!
    Last edited by Zac.; April 9th, 2018, 07:47 AM.

Okay now i need help, because none of my pictures are showing up.. anyone with any expertise care to lend me some advice? I thought I did everything correctly.

Comment

Alright, since I can't figure it out, here's a link to the album with the pictures in it in the order that I intended to post them in. Until this picture posting problem is solved, it'll have to be viewed the hard way.

https://imgur.com/a/pe0v3

Comment

Right click → copy image location → paste it in here and wrap with IMG tags

I have both of those haha (yes one low-beam one bi-xenon).

Comment

Good work!

Even easier to share is that Imgur has a share link called Bbcode, this just directly pastes into HIDP as it has the IMG tags already on it.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder
          2017 Lexus CT200h F Sport

Comment

well when i view it in the editor, they all show up, but when i post it, they're just blank squares.. I just copied the BBCode straight onto the post. I can't believe i can't get this right.. do they need to be a specific size or something?

Comment

Strange. No size restrictions or anything, just BBcode should do it.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder
              2017 Lexus CT200h F Sport

Comment

Originally posted by Zac. View Post
                well when i view it in the editor, they all show up, but when i post it, they're just blank squares.. I just copied the BBCode straight onto the post. I can't believe i can't get this right.. do they need to be a specific size or something?
                I never tired the third party picture posting sites. What has always worked for me was the Tapatalk app. you can easily post them from your phone to HID planet.

Comment

Originally posted by Pklemm View Post

I never tired the third party picture posting sites. What has always worked for me was the Tapatalk app. you can easily post them from your phone to HID planet.
                  I did that and they still show up broken. I give up at this point.

Comment

Good work, any output shots?

Comment

Not yet. I will get some soon. Honestly the output is only marginally different since the projectors are essentially the same.

Comment

Looks fantastic!

Comment

Originally posted by hatchbox View Post
                          Looks fantastic!
                          Thanks!

Looks like my pictures are working now, somehow lol.

Comment

Working...
                          X