Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retrofit Design - Audi A3

Noble friends,

My name is Fabio, I am from Bahia in Brazil and I am very happy of the existence of this forum and I hope both to help and to acquire some knowledge in this area of lighting and retrofit.

I am moderator of Audi's biggest forum in Brazil, and I really like manual work ... I'm also in the process of restoring my Audi A3, year 2000, which for those who are interested follow the link of the works, I think they'll like it. ..

http://www.a3clube.com/topic/9774-re...al-a3-do-roxo/

At that time of the service, I decided to make an improvement on the headlights of my hoops and researching a lot I discovered this art of retrofit. The first step was to get a set of Bi-Xenon link projectors from what I bought, this more than 7 months ago ...

https://pt.aliexpress.com/item/Whole...311.0.0.QlMjGi

For these days I decided to open the blessed beacon .. all tranquil .. using a handmade oven beyond efficient

Here the A3 Hella Lighthouse

I was able to open the damn easy

Let's disassemble

mask

Lighthouse frame

Flashes alert

Parts of the mask

Motor of regulation of the headlights .. then I will post here the recovery of these components.

MY CONFUSION BEGINS NOW:

This is the original projector of the Hella lighthouse

This is the Bi-xenon projector I bought

Projector housing ... front view

1º Problem: I noticed that the original lens is smaller than the bi-xenon projector that is 2.5 ". This way the Bi-xenon projector lens is not completely exposed due to the original lens bore. This is normal ? no need to increase the hole in the mask?

Original projector dock

2º problema: O projetor Bi-xenon não tem a furação correspondente a esses parafusos na máscara, pesquisando vi que tem uma espécie de adaptador para o correto assentamento do projetor, segue o vídeo. Teria alguma alternativa fora esses adaptadores? (os custos ficaram elevados para importa-los). Alguma solução melhor?

Everything presented in this video (headlamp and projectors) is the same as what I have.

Even tried to put the projector in the original parable, but it does not fit .. see:

I made a bet and chopped these metal edges of the bi-xenon projector .. then it came down in the original parabola .. But it gets completely misaligned with the hole for the lens, see:

Impossible to screw the assembly in its original place.

Already almost giving up and facing the import of such an adapter kit, I now came across such BI-LED projectors. And I dropped the possibility of buying. I ask:

1 - Is it worthwhile to change the Bi-Xenon project to a Bi-Le?

2 - I saw that the Optima projectors are well recommended because they use the LED Chip from LG and on the site they already inform an update to Genises Photonics. But would you have any other recommendations? Links welcome!

3 - If I make the option to use the Bi-Led, will I have the same problem of fitting the projectors in the original mask? Do I have to buy an adapter?

I apologize for the long post, but I count on your help in this project. thankful
    Who thinks that the crumb is little, it is because they do not know nothing!

Bixenon projectors are still better than BiLED at this point. Optimas have no width, they're not great performers. And yes, the same mounting challenges exist. BiLED projectors mount similarly to Bixenon. You can try making your own adapters out of sheets of aluminum.

Welcome to HID Planet!

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder
    2017 Lexus CT200h F Sport

Comment

Originally posted by Haloruler64 View Post
      Bixenon projectors are still better than BiLED at this point. Optimas have no width, they're not great performers. And yes, the same mounting challenges exist. BiLED projectors mount similarly to Bixenon. You can try making your own adapters out of sheets of aluminum. Welcome to HID Planet!

Thanks for the reply noble friend, In this way, I can per hour analyze these bi-led projectors and continue with the bi-xenom project, according to your report ... I've just been studying how to make these adapters, I hope someone here has a template or has already done this work to guide me. Otherwise I'll see if I mind those of the same retrofitlab. Another question is the alignment of this bixenon projector, any tips or something you should respect when you do? Very happy for everyone's help !!!!!

Comment

Welcome. Per your question #1, the outer regions of the lens typically do not contribute to output. The only thing it might affect is the overall width of the beam, and that depends on the projector design.
        Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

Originally posted by satrya View Post
          Welcome. Per your question #1, the outer regions of the lens typically do not contribute to output. The only thing it might affect is the overall width of the beam, and that depends on the projector design.
          My Noble one, thank you for the answer ... so I can rest easy on this one, I thought the lens should be all exposed .. really only an outside part of the lens without being exposed .. and as you said it will only influence the width of the beam.

Comment

Working...
          X