Corvette C5: Retrofitted ACA Headlights

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corvette C5: Retrofitted ACA Headlights

After hitting a raccoon last week in the C5 (very minor damage, all things considering), I decided I needed to do something about these horrible ACA projectors. The idea had been stirring around in my head for a while, but this pushed me to actually do it. I ordered a set of brackets from LightWerks after confirming the description on the site was wrong and they were indeed for ACA headlights. I already had a set of Acme H1 projectors on hand along with H1 HID bulbs.

First off, these brackets are for Morimoto MH1 projectors. I knew the mounting holes were likely the same, but either the brackets arenít right or the projectors (compared to 7.0s) are different. Iím unsure, although I did have my 7.0ís out of my Hayabusa headlight in my hands last week and didnít notice any major differences. Iíll have to see if I can find a cut sheet of the 7.0ís to see any differences, just because Iím curious. Thereís only one way to fit the bracket on these Acme projectors due to opening being too small and with the shroud being shallow mounted.

The brackets fit nicely on Acme projectors and I used #8, 1/2Ē long, SS screws and nuts to secure them. I put some blue lock-tite on the length of the screw and put it through each projector mounting hole and attached a nut on the backside. Then I added the bracket and another nut on backside of it and tightened using a cross pattern to ensure everything was even. The reason for this is to stand the bracket off evenly from the projector due to the ďknobsĒ on it you can see in the pictures. A single nut allows it to clear them.

Using #8, 5/8Ē long nylon spacers (my local hardware store didnít have this size so I used a combo of 1/2Ē & 1/8Ē) and secured it using #8, 1-1/4Ē hex-head screws. Using the same process as before, cross pattern the screws to evenly snug everything down.

To best protect them from the elements I used aluminum tape. Thereís not many options to do, but I think it was the best option. Iíve retrofitted several lights before this, but first time I used the tape. I daily drive the car, so Iíll find out firsthand how well it works after all the rain that happened yesterday and this morning. I triple checked all the seams and used a little silicone for where the high beam solenoid wire comes out.

For what itís worth, I also removed the H1 brackets and replaced with Morimoto Motoho1ders to securely hold the bulbs. I put them on the busaís retrofit the other week while it was apart getting dipped. These things are overpriced IMO, but they do securely hold the bulbs considerably better than the regular H1 clips.

For anyone on the fence, do it....you won't regret it. I didn't realize how horrible the ACA's were until I saw them side-by-side. Basically $100 for brackets and projectors plus maybe 30min total to remove both ACA projectors and install new H1s (not counting removing headlights themselves)

[

2000 Arctic White Pontiac Trans Am WS6
    Quad Beam China Sealed Projectors, 2 Morimoto Kits With 5500K Bulbs, J.W. Speaker Knock-off Orange LED Fog Lights & Custom 99 LED License Plate Light

2009 Charcoal/Silver Suzuki Hayabusa
    Dual Morimoto H1s, Morimoto HID Kit With 5500K Bulbs, Real 2x2 Twill Carbon Fiber Shroud

Nice and easy, with a great result! Did you make sure that Lightwerkz updated/corrected their site about the brackets?

Comment

Originally posted by gold94corolla View Post
      Nice and easy, with a great result! Did you make sure that Lightwerkz updated/corrected their site about the brackets?
      Thanks! They know about it, so we'll see if it gets updated.

Looking closer at the 7.0's I can see where they should sit flush on the brackets, so it could have been even easier of an upgrade providing I had purchased some. I'm good with how they turned out since I had the projectors on hand anyways.
      2000 Arctic White Pontiac Trans Am WS6
      Quad Beam China Sealed Projectors, 2 Morimoto Kits With 5500K Bulbs, J.W. Speaker Knock-off Orange LED Fog Lights & Custom 99 LED License Plate Light

2009 Charcoal/Silver Suzuki Hayabusa
      Dual Morimoto H1s, Morimoto HID Kit With 5500K Bulbs, Real 2x2 Twill Carbon Fiber Shroud

Comment

i love pop-up's!! looks good
        The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time

Comment

Working...
        X