No announcement yet.

1996 Integra DB8 Retrofit Project - Slowest Retrofit Ever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hopefully I'm going to take a stab at mounting these projectors this weekend, quick mounting question. I intended on using a "double nut" method on the screws to secure everything in place along with some locktite. Would that be enough, or should i look into using some sort of spacer as well?

Comment

Having a spacer as backup wouldn't hurt. But two nuts tightened opposite of each other plus liquid thread lock should be good.
      Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

So, my HID build was sort of put on the back burner, but not on purpose. I don't get a ton of free time to work on the car these days, and one of my bigger tasks is taking up way, WAY more time than i thought. Replacing the cabin harness to the car to hopefully get rid of the electrical demons in my car....

Still have to finish this side, then i can put the dash and components back together and pray lol.

Comment

So.....here i am a year later and no further along than what i originally posted. Bumping this back up to get some input/advice on mounting these things. I'm having a hard time determining where i can drill to run the hardware to mount these things to the bracket, there isnt much real estate to work with using the s2000 projectors. I can see 2 good spots to mount them, and then one maybe on each one. Ideally, id like to have four places to run the bolts through...but i dont want to dig into the projector housing to do so. Ideas?

Comment

when I messend with my set I used the two screws that connect the two bowl with the lens holder and added a bend peace of metal with two holes. for the further mounting left and right I was trying to add a pieve of metal via jb weld. in addition to that I added concrete glue when I was happy with the adjustments.

my setup never made it into the car so I don't have long time experience with jb weld on the bowl.
            Subaru Outback retrofit:
            http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...aru-Outback-H6
            License plate lights with dual brightness:
            https://www.hidplanet.com/forums/for...hen-backing-up

Comment

Those two screws on each projector that secures the chrome lens holder to the front cast metal; you could run a long metal bracket shaped like:
              |___________|
              where one end bolts to that end, and the long piece allows clearance for the s2k projector cast metal and the other end reaches to the back of the mounting bracket. Then, drill a hole on the mounting bracket to get a nut+screw to secure that other end.

That should give you at least 2 mounting points.

After that, see if a 3rd piece can be secured on the piece on the bottom right of this picture:

Comment

Originally posted by Crossgolf View Post
                when I messend with my set I used the two screws that connect the two bowl with the lens holder and added a bend peace of metal with two holes. for the further mounting left and right I was trying to add a pieve of metal via jb weld. in addition to that I added concrete glue when I was happy with the adjustments.

my setup never made it into the car so I don't have long time experience with jb weld on the bowl.
                Originally posted by satrya View Post
                Those two screws on each projector that secures the chrome lens holder to the front cast metal; you could run a long metal bracket shaped like:
                |___________|
                where one end bolts to that end, and the long piece allows clearance for the s2k projector cast metal and the other end reaches to the back of the mounting bracket. Then, drill a hole on the mounting bracket to get a nut+screw to secure that other end.

That should give you at least 2 mounting points.

After that, see if a 3rd piece can be secured on the piece on the bottom right of this picture:
                Great tips, thanks!

Do you think 3 mounts are enough? This is my first retrofit, so i'm not too certain of anything lol

Comment

Looks like the bracket (which image I reposted in post #51) is made of cast metal; I'm assuming it is rigid enough to support the s2k projector. When you fabricate a custom long metal bracket as I described, make sure you have extra material to bend along its length to increase rigidity.

You can use a square cross section piece like one shown below, and add L-shaped piece at the ends to bend around more or less like so:
                  L J
                  =========

(The "L" and "J" are the two L shaped pieces bolted on top of the square-cross-sectioned piece "=======")

Note: the picture above is for mounting something configured differently from your case; it was just to illustrate an example material you can use.

Alternatively, you can start from a sheet of galvanized steel (like the one below), and make a "clone" from cardstock (the white one below it) to prototype the bracket shapes:

With the cardstock copy, it is easier to try different folds and cuts:

When you're done with all the markings, the actual sheet metal can then be shaped, cut, bent, & drilled as needed:

The galvanized sheet metal can be quite rigid once you add L-bends along its long dimensions.

I add clip-on fasteners with threaded hole to use with machine screws if necessary:

Since you work on many other parts of your vehicle, you'll probably more than well equipped to work with the options above.

Comment

I started my HID retrofit this past weekend, mainly with the mounting of the projectors. I think i messed up the drilling of the housing on the one bolt, but this is my first retrofit ever so messing up is expected. I think it should be fine though once i get everything mounted, secured, and leveled out. Hopefully i can work on leveling out the projectors this week with some free time after work, if i get some free time.

You can see one of the bolts is a tad skewed here.

And here.

Comment

Originally posted by danteisme View Post
                      You can see one of the bolts is a tad skewed here.
                      The skew should be ok. The only thing I would watch for is when you tighten them, make sure that the skew doesn't cause any changes in pitch, yaw, or roll angle alignment.

Curious, the large bracket that you're mounting the projector onto, and the projector's lens holder; they are both cast metal, right? I wonder how beefy the adjustable mounts for the brackets are. Hopefully you won't run into projector vibration issues (that is the projector pitching enough during drive that the pitch aim of the beam bounces up and down noticeably).

Comment

I hope they don’t vibrate, but there will be some weight hanging out off the main bracket and only being supported by those few bolts. I will probably grab some of the threaded spacers and add those to try and add some additional rigidity to the projectors.

Comment

Maybe after alignment is done, add a secondary support that can be adjusted, say, by a long screw that pushes from the bottom side, and another one from the top that pushes down. Whenever you need to make pitch adjustments, you'd need to retract these two first so the main adjusters can be moved. Then, the secondary supports can be tightened again.

Comment

The skew only affected things a tad. got it to work out though, i need to go back through a double check the levelness of the first projector i installed, then i should be good to trim the extra length on the bolts and put back in the housing. I think these should be good, seems very sturdy and being level with the factory bracket should let me retain the adjustment points I need. Of course, I will test fit these in housing in the car before I reassemble everything.

Found this gasket or whatever it is is cracked, replacement available?

Comment

Ok, this is what a noob I am…just realized this is the factory spacer for the lens. I don’t know if I want to get into modifying with spacers, but TRS has a spacer kit for cheap. I may as well just buy that. Does anyone know what the diameter of the S2K AP1 lens is? Or what thickness the OEM spacer is?

Comment

Completed some more work on the retrofit.

Then I tested them in the garage, please excuse the mess. This was after a lot of fighting with the welder and the car’s quarter panel and I never cleaned it up.

Really love the way these look, until I put the lenses on the housings…

Going to need to address this for sure. I imagine I’ll need to do some serious sanding and polishing inside and outside of these lenses.
                                I’ll also need to do something about this, not sure if they make an adapter for this situation or if I need to find new ballasts. It was damn near impossible to plug this in. I think I pulled these from an Audi.

Comment

Working...
                                X