• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can get you dimensions of a legit Hella Gen 3 tonight

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder
    2017 Lexus CT200h F Sport

Comment

Awesome, hopefully it verifies the dimensions I got. They were 4x3x1.25 roughly.

Comment

Close, my Hellas are (with the 9006 connector) 4x3x1.5

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder
        2017 Lexus CT200h F Sport

Comment

Hopefully i'm going to start cutting tonight or tomorrow night on my extra headlight bracket to see what i'm going to have to do to get the s2000 projectors to fit. My ballasts should be here today or tomorrow as well.

Comment

well, i determined i need to invest in stronger cut off discs for my dremel tool. i broke 3 of them and only cut an inch or so off the bracket. so i got out my air cut off tool and made the cuts. i think this will work, i'll just need to come through with the dremel and do the final clean up. I hooked up my ballasts to test them out, both work great. BUT, this is my first time messing with legit projectors and HIDs so forgive my ignorance with this question.... what is this odd shape under my cutoff line?

here is where i had it sititng on the car for the test.

at first i thought something was wrong with the projector, so i grabbed the other side but it looks exactly the same. then, i realized i'm looking at this less than 3 feet from a wall. when i spun the housing around and pointed at the garage door 20 feet away it looks like this "blank" spot would not be noticeable in the light projection in front of the car. So, i'm probably overthinking this and looking for confirmation that i am lol. i cant imagine both projectors would have the exact same issue wrong with them, right?

Comment

It should be some form of foreground limiter. Aftermarket projectors may not bother with them. Here's an OE projector from a Mazda5:
              Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

That makes me feel much better!

Comment

Originally posted by danteisme View Post
                  That makes me feel much better!
                  It does appear odd until you map the beam pattern to where they would land on the road far ahead, to the shoulders of the freeway, etc. In many aftermarket projectors, that dark spot is very bright, which can add the amount of light reflecting back from right in front of the vehicle. This caters to the gut response of seeing the output as "bright", but not the useful type for real freeway driving.

Comment

So how am i doing so far?

i think i have enough material cut off, the projector seems to sit nicely. I have enough confidence now to start cutting up the one i plan to use and buying some hardware etc... so i can get these things mounted. i need to get some more attachments for my dremel so i can better smooth out these rough cuts.

Comment

I dig everyones work with S2000 projectors. I still have two sets at home that I need to find good use for.
                      Subaru Outback retrofit:
                      http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...aru-Outback-H6
                      License plate lights with dual brightness:
                      https://www.hidplanet.com/forums/for...hen-backing-up

Comment

Non-retrofit content - here is the current status of the car. The car has been painted so many times that the mills are ridicuously thick and is cracking everywhere. So....i have stripped the car to bare metal (with the exception of the hood, trunk lid, and front bumper cover because they are newer than all of those paint jobs) and then covered up the bare metal with some cheap rattle can paint so that it wont get surface rust until its warm enough to cover the car with some good quality primer.

Comment

Worked a lot on the retrofits this weekend, and of course i have questions. I picked up some hardware so i can get the projectors mounted, but i wanted to pick the brains of some more experience people than myself.

But first, here is what i got so far:

So here is my question....the s2000 projector lenses are much smaller (or at least they look much smaller) than the integra ones. If i mount the projector at the same height as the factory one, it looks like the lens will be set back pretty far in the headlight housing. I feel like this will create issues with the light pattern and how the light will travel out of the housing. Its hard to take a picture of this, but it looks like it will be recessed in the housing something like this:

Would i want to purposely push the project out farther from the factory bracket so it sticks out of the housing more like this? Or would this maybe create too much heat on the lens?

And just a couple other quick questions:

1. best way to clean the projector lenses and inside of the housing lenses?
                          2. i've read that it is best to keep the factory sealant in the housing and re-heat and re-use that sealant to avoid moisture issues. Should i add any additional rubber butyl or just go with what i got?

thanks in advance, hopefully this weekend i'll get to some final assembly of these so i can at least fire them up in their mounted position in the housing and see what i gots.

Comment

I'd remove the sealant altogether if possible. My rationale is in the process of separating the lens, some of the sealant may be stretched enough that air pockets are created, and yet some may not be visible enough. This may increase the chance of moisture seeping in through those pockets. You can still reuse the existing sealant if it is the reusable kind (e.g. butyl), but make sure it is clean and re-pinched to a single long strand to remove the chance of air pockets / bubbles.

As for the recessed position; projectors don't cast a 180 degree beam (to the sides), so it will take quite a lot of recessing to affect the beam. You can always test by placing a ring of similar diameter as the OE shroud, power up the projector, and see how much side beam is affected.

Comment

Originally posted by satrya View Post

As for the recessed position; projectors don't cast a 180 degree beam (to the sides), so it will take quite a lot of recessing to affect the beam. You can always test by placing a ring of similar diameter as the OE shroud, power up the projector, and see how much side beam is affected.
                              Now thats a good idea, i will definitely look into that!

Comment

Fwiw, the upper portion of the lens is hardly used by the beam (both high and low). For this lower projector, the "shroud" obstructs a good portion of the upper lens without any effect on the beam. This picture is from head-on; it looks like more is covered when seen from a normal standing position.

Comment

Working...
                                X