No announcement yet.

1996 Integra DB8 Retrofit Project - Slowest Retrofit Ever

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Glad to see another DB8 on here - I have a Ď97 myself, but with the non-HID JDM ITR front end. Unfortunately the ABS unit on the 94-97 Integras get in the way of the OEM ballasts, so I couldnít go that route (in addition to the beam pattern being RHD)

Iíll have to look to see if folks have retrofitted their projectors in the non-HID housings, unfortunately most of the threads Iíve found donít show pics anymore

Comment

I debated a long time if i was going to go with the jdm front, especially since i needed to replace my core support anyways. I decided to stick with the oem for now, especially the 94-97 front because you just don't see them too often anymore. I'm sure someone has completed the retrofit on the non-hid housings before, are the pics not showing because they are gone or because photobucket stopped third party hosting? If its because of photobucket, they have an extension you can download to your browser that enables the photo embedding again. That's how i found an s2000 into a 94-97 housing build thread to mimic lol

Still really have no updates on my retrofit, still working on car items here and there. I've replaced all of the window motors and all of the door glass with glass that isnt scratched, all still oem honda glass though. I'm also going to be placing an order with acura this week for new trim pieces for the front and rear windshields. I'm getting both replaced sometime in the next few weeks so may as well freshen up the 22 year old rubber pieces with new ones. Surprisingly, acura still makes most of the pieces.

Comment

Originally posted by danteisme View Post
        I debated a long time if i was going to go with the jdm front, especially since i needed to replace my core support anyways. I decided to stick with the oem for now, especially the 94-97 front because you just don't see them too often anymore. I'm sure someone has completed the retrofit on the non-hid housings before, are the pics not showing because they are gone or because photobucket stopped third party hosting? If its because of photobucket, they have an extension you can download to your browser that enables the photo embedding again. That's how i found an s2000 into a 94-97 housing build thread to mimic lol

Still really have no updates on my retrofit, still working on car items here and there. I've replaced all of the window motors and all of the door glass with glass that isnt scratched, all still oem honda glass though. I'm also going to be placing an order with acura this week for new trim pieces for the front and rear windshields. I'm getting both replaced sometime in the next few weeks so may as well freshen up the 22 year old rubber pieces with new ones. Surprisingly, acura still makes most of the pieces.
        Hey did you ever make any progress? These are my Integra headlights that I retro'd with E55 bi-xenon projectors way back in 2004, and now am hoping to upgrade to the new Morimoto D2S bi-xenon 5.0 projectors, which are supposed to directly replace E55's with an adapter bracket.

1994 BG-33P Paradise Blue Integra GS-R
        Full 98+ conversion
        E-class bi-xenon projectors

Comment

Originally posted by PatrickGSR94 View Post

Hey did you ever make any progress? These are my Integra headlights that I retro'd with E55 bi-xenon projectors way back in 2004, and now am hoping to upgrade to the new Morimoto D2S bi-xenon 5.0 projectors, which are supposed to directly replace E55's with an adapter bracket.

Hey good to se a familiar face (or screen name I guess) on here. Unfortunately I did not make any progress other than getting all of my components. I took on too many non Integra related projects this year. But, with a little luck, iíll be breaking down the car this weekend so I can start paint prepping and at that point iíll bring my retrofit stuff indoors.

Comment

Originally posted by PatrickGSR94 View Post

Hey good to se a familiar face (or screen name I guess) on here. Unfortunately I did not make any progress other than getting all of my components. I took on too many non Integra related projects this year. But, with a little luck, iíll be breaking down the car this weekend so I can start paint prepping and at that point iíll bring my retrofit stuff indoors.
            Wow havenít seen that screenname in more than 10 years over on honda-tech!

Comment

awesome

Comment

awesome job (sorry for the multiple posting, for a reason it was saying that my posts were unapproved and I couldn't post so I was trying multiple times, happened in my own thread as well and now all of them suddenly appeared)
                Last edited by HIDvsLED; January 6th, 2019, 04:44 PM.

Comment

So, after the adulting life has gotten in the way (work, house work, teething toddler) i'm back at this. i broke down the integra's headlights yesterday (the ones im actually going to use). I've been doing a lot of research on retrofits for the teg, and i think at this point i really only have one question (for now anyways). Prior to cutting the teg's projector bracket, do i need to make a mark or some indication of where the factory projector sat at? Like, i'm not sure how to set the depth of the s2000 projector if that makes any sense. i obviously dont want to set it out further than the factory one, i assume it would be hard to get the housing back together if i do that. So i was thinking that i should make some sort of mark or something on the bracket so i have a line to reference for how deep to set the S2000 projector? any input is appreciated.

and here is a few pics of my work from yesterday. The headlight housings came apart surprisingly easy. -ignore the mess in the kitchen/workspace for this retrofit.

Comment

Marking it would be a good idea.
                    Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

i'll def mark these up. i want to measure/mark 97 times and cut once.

just thought of another question, i thought i had all of my parts and i realized i havent pulled the trigger on a ballast setup yet. I've been looking at some OEM units, but they all seem to be pretty big. Does any OEM manufacturer offer a smaller ballast for D2S bulbs? i was hoping to mimic my mounting location with my plug n play kit shown here.

also for sh*ts and giggles, here is the current state of the car...

Comment

Does any OEM manufacturer offer a smaller ballast for D2S bulbs? i was hoping to mimic my mounting location with my plug n play kit shown here.
                        Isn't the (old) Hella Gen 3 ballast relatively small? Denso is probably wider than that, but isn't that thick.

Comment

Originally posted by satrya View Post
                          Isn't the (old) Hella Gen 3 ballast relatively small? Denso is probably wider than that, but isn't that thick.
                          i'll have to do some research on those. These were the ones i was originally looking at, but they are something like 5"x 6" or something like that.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-HID-XEN...a/173414912679

Comment

Keep in mind that OEM ballasts are faked constantly, eBay is a bad source for OEM ballasts.

Hella Gen 3s are quite large, but smaller than Densos. Much fatter though.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder
                            2017 Lexus CT200h F Sport

Comment

Fatter i can handle, i have enough depth behind the fender. i was worried about the other dimensions being too large, but i THINK i found the dimensions for the ballasts. I have a used set on my radar, hopefully I'll pick them up this weekend.

Comment

+1 about being careful about OE fakes.

I guess there's a limit on how small a ballast can be and still be reliable.

Comment

Working...
                                X