Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2011 Fiesta Retro Number 2 (plus XB LED Fogs and custom DRLs)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2011 Fiesta Retro Number 2 (plus XB LED Fogs and custom DRLs)

Well, I've been pretty unhappy with my Mini H1 7.0s for a while now.
    The performance just isn't there - too much foreground, not enough distance, bulb setting issues, etc etc.

I've chosen to go with the Mini D2S 4.0 and Osram CBIs. I will also be using my boosted Bosch Ballasts left over from the Talon.
    I am also going to try and open the permaseal headlights rather then cut them open - I've got a couple tools ordered to help with that.
    I'm in parts gathering mode right now but I'll show what I've got right now.

Headlights - Driver side is mint off a 2013 but the passenger side is pretty banged up (came from the you pick and pull) with a broken mount and smashed back. I plan to use this one to perfect my permaseal opening skills. You can also see my pile of Bosch ballasts.

Parts I've got so far - Mini D2S 4.0, Straight D2S connectors, silica packets (plan to add a couple inside the headlight plus some more vents).

I've got these XB LED Fogs that I'll put behind the lower grill on the bumper. I plan to put yellow Lamin X on them.

I've also got some reflectors and I plan to make clear ones via this method - https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/sho....php?t=1236593
    I've got the materials already.

Lastly I ordered some flexible LED tubes off eBay, I will be using these to mock up some DRLs. If I like them I'll be ordering some better ones - looking at the XK Glow ones maybe.

Idea 1 - this is how Ford is doing their LED DRLs now so I may go this route.

Idea 2

Let me know what one you like more.

Other then that I've got to order a bunch of parts (AMP connectors, housing caps, gortex stickers, etc etc) from TRS.
    Anthony
    2011 Ford Fiesta SES Hatchback
    2008 Wrangler Unlimited FX-R Retrofit
    2011 Fiesta Retrofit Number 2

Oh, I'm also going to be redoing the bumper marker LED things with a more powerful LED tube. I'm looking at Diode Dynamics for those.
    Anthony

Comment

I'm with you on the mini H1. The bulb placement alone did me in. Not too much of a fan of the flex tube. What about the DD strip on the lower half of the headlight like the second picture?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I like idea 2 better. That's how the EU spec headlights look like now as well. I believe it's also going to be relatively easier to mount the led strip there.

These are the EU headlights (you have probably seen them already- sharing it for others as well):

Comment

Can you get the EU headlight and retrofit those? It will already have the OEM DRL with OEM reliability.

Comment

I think that the EU headlights with DRLs are shaped a bit different and not really sure that they 'd fit US models.

The left ones that match the US headlights never came with DRL leds and used the high beam instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Pklemm View Post
              I'm with you on the mini H1. The bulb placement alone did me in. Not too much of a fan of the flex tube. What about the DD strip on the lower half of the headlight like the second picture? Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
              Yea, I'm use to OEM or OEM style projectors. I should have done it this way in the first place.
              I'm not sold on the flex tube yet which is why I bought a cheap one first.

Originally posted by wacko View Post
              I like idea 2 better. That's how the EU spec headlights look like now as well. I believe it's also going to be relatively easier to mount the led strip there. These are the EU headlights (you have probably seen them already- sharing it for others as well):
              Thanks.
              I'll see what I can come up with once I get the tube here.

Originally posted by Nuvolari View Post
              Can you get the EU headlight and retrofit those? It will already have the OEM DRL with OEM reliability.
              Sadly no, apart from the wiring being completely different (which would likely be easy to fix), the body sheet metal on the 2 cars is just different enough so they will not fit up.
              Anthony

Comment

Too bad you have the older style headlights. I have a set of EU headlights I'm quad retrofitting to sell.

2015 Ford Party ST | 2013 Triumph Street Triple | Dr. LS460R: 227 built to date!

Comment

Originally posted by TRSAndrew View Post
                  Too bad you have the older style headlights. I have a set of EU headlights I'm quad retrofitting to sell.
                  That would take the fun out of doing it myself though.
                  I'm not sure if I will sell or keep my Mini H1 retro'd lights.

Just pulled the trigger on my TRS order.
                  Gortex patches, AMP connectors to convert the Bosch Ignitors to AMP, AMP extensions (just in case), Apollo 2.0 Shrouds, housing caps, wire seals and Lamin X for my fogs.

I also ordered some LED Switchback strips from Diode Dynamics for my DRLs in the bumper, I'm trying to contact them to add halos to that order too.
                  Anthony

Comment

I ordered some Expanding Pliers and Door panel pliers to help open the headlights.

I'm going to attempt opening the busted up headlight without the tools, wish me luck.

Tomorrow I'm going to start making the mold of the amber reflectors so I can then cast the clear ones the following day.

I've also got my DRL/Switchback stuff ordered.
                    Diode Dynamics Switchback Halos in 110mm to go behind the shrouds - http://www.diodedynamics.com/store/c...category/1488/

Diode Dynamics Switchback Semi-flex strip in 9 inches for the bumper marker thingys - http://www.diodedynamics.com/store/c...category/1488/

I also went ahead an ordered some flex strips for the DRL, hopefully they will work out and won't look like poop.
                    XKGlow Sequential Switchback flex strips - http://www.xkglow.com/XKGLOW_Sequent...p/xk043001.htm

Also I as a Morimoto dealer (I do retrofits on the side but haven't done much in a while) I got an email about their new Bluetooth LED controller. I decided to but it along with the demon eye kit for the Mini D2S (comes with a bracket to make it a bolt in affair). I like the idea of demon eyes but I want to do without having extra switches and I don't like the RF controllers. This fits the bill nicely.
                    Of course it's not coming out till the end of January so lets hope it comes out on time.
                    https://www.theretrofitsource.com/le...emon-eyes.html

Last but not least I've decided to install my stutter shutter into Fiesta since the Talon is now gone.

What is the stutter shutter you ask - a modified PWM that allows me to rapidly flash the bi-xenon solenoid.
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HsjVMubvjg

Here's the thread azdave made about it many moons ago: https://www.hidplanet.com/forums/for...hutter-feature
                    And when I went into building it (I ended up buying a modded PWM from another member) - https://www.hidplanet.com/forums/for...g-this-circuit

Now since I have halogen high beams I bought some time delay relays so the halogen highs will have a slight delay before coming on. I just ordered them from Ebay.
                    http://www.ebay.ca/itm/271066143155?...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
                    Anthony

Comment

Had a bit of bad-ish luck today.
                      My headlights don't really fit in my oven so I thought, eh, leave the door sort of open - they'll be fine. Yea, not so much....this makes the oven stay on preheat and that's not a good thing.

I'm glad this is a junk headlight and not a good one! Looks like I'll be cutting these open again after all.

Issue #2.
                      I got my amber makers all ready to be cast so I could start making my mold.

Only to find out that my RTV Silicone has gone hard from sitting, FRACK!!

Upside is I got the reflector out.

I used a step bit to open up the bulb hole for the shaft on the Mini D2S, still need to make it a bit bigger so I'll get a larger step bit.
                      Also thinking I might put my LED fog in the high beam spot but I'm unsure the HIR highs are good and I can still flash to pass with the halogens.
                      Anthony

Comment

Going to keep the HIR high beams, don't want to add any extra headaches to the retrofit by having the fogs in the headlights. Plus fogs really should be lower.
                        Noticed something when I did the test fit on the Mini D2S into my bucket, no silicone washers! A quick call to TRS and they've got another set on the way.

Mr Step bit helped me hog out the bulb hole a good bit. I love a good step bit.

Of course, it still wasn't bit enough.

Rigged up a ghetto belt bench sander to make the back of the reflector bucket flush/flat for the lock nut.

All flat and opened up, bonus - I didn't lose any fingers.

Test fire with the CBIs and Bosch ballast, I'm not sure what the weird flare is. Wall is about 20ft way, maybe the projector is a bit dirty.

I read about recessed shrouds on Headlight Junkies a while back and decided to try it, looks a lot better.

Anthony

Comment

I didn't get silicon washers with my d2s 4.0's from TRS either! I just installed everything without them. Wonder if it matters...probably would have kept my projectors from rotating while the JB Weld dried 😑

Comment

^That's what I'm thinking too.

I'll certainly be using some JB Weld to lock these in place once they are ready.
                            Anthony

Comment

Got the good headlight open and taking apart today. Those expanding pliers are really neat but getting the ball sockets off was still interest - didn't break anything but I'm nervous to put the reflectors back in.

The XKGlow strips showed up, this is what I think I'm going with for the DRL. I'll be shortening them up (need to read the instructions) so there won't be any on the bottom of the headlight, just across the top and down the side.

What's the best way to secure these?
                              Anthony

Comment

Working...
                              X