2011 GMC Terrain 4TL-R retrofit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2011 GMC Terrain 4TL-R retrofit

Finally got my retrofit finished on my 2011 Terrain that I've been working on for the past 9 months on and off. Having a 1 year old forced me to take my time rounding everything up and assembling it all.

What I used:
    4TL-R projectors
    Potted Denso Slims
    Osram Nightbreakers
    Philips 9011 HIR
    High beam splitter
    Anti-flicker capacitor
    Morimoto relay harness

Originally I tried to go with OEM 4G TL projectors, which have the same bolt pattern but you have to widen the mounting bracket to fit them in. I bought them from yellow_cake who added a MH1 solenoid & shield to them, but needed tuning which was perfect since I was planning on doing all that myself anyways. But to get a good cutoff it seemed like I had to sacrifice a good amount of the hotspot and it was giving me nothing but problems every step of the way. So that's out.

So now I got 4TL-R projectors from Lightwerkz and surprisingly they bolt right in without cutting anything! So first thing I did was make foreground limiters and paint the demon eyes

This one was just a rough draft I made while I was stuck at work and couldn't test how it looked. I made a few before I settled on the final one

The 4TL-R is way shorter than the OEM 4G's which is awesome cause with the 4G I would've had extend the bulb caps. But it was also disappointing cause I already went through the effort to make a solution

I trimmed down and cut notches into bulb caps from an Acadia and I was gonna epoxy them to the factory caps. But oh well, one less thing to go wrong lol.

4TL-R on top. They are tiny compared to what I was expecting

Next was getting the igniter though the housing and figuring out what I'm gonna do with the ballast

I didn't get any pictures of how I mounted it but I stuck 2 bolts through bottom of the housing.

I tried to get this to work since there's a ton of room next to the high beam but just couldn't figure out how to secure it

Now for the fun part

I wish I could just leave it like this

Took a couple comparison shots on my phone. Exposure was locked but it was on my phone and it's only 1 of each projector but it really shows off the streak that the halogens have. That streak drove me nuts! That's all I would ever see driving this car

So the bolt holes are bigger on these projectors so I can't just throw them in and call it a day. But I just had to rotate it as far counter-clockwise as it'll go and it was perfect

I really wish I made the foreground limiter bigger. The foreground starts just past the hood when I'm in the car and it's a wee bit off center >.< but oh well I'll worry about it next time I have to open these up

High beams - Projectors+HIR

That's all I got for the lights so far. Next thing I wanna do is a custom DRL I sourced from a couple different Cadillacs. I got the acrylic rods from an SRX and the LED's from an XTS. It's just mocked up in a spare Terrain headlight housing I got. All perks of working at a dealership

Exposure dropped. These things are bright as fack!

I can't wait to get started on that part but that may be a long time before I can think about starting on that

Does anyone have any other ideas on how I can help secure the ballast? It's secure now but having all the weight being pulled on 2 #8 screws makes me feel a bit iffy about it working for too long. That's all I could come up with in a pinch.
    2006 Chevy Cobalt - SRX Bi-xenon/Denso 35w
    2011 GMC Terrain V6 - 4TL-R retrofit

Awesome job, those came out great! Looks like the acrylic rod you got fits well and looks OEM in the housing. You said you got the LED from a XTS? When you have a chance could you get a shot of just the LED chip? Interested to see what they use. Also, Love the FGL, the 4TL-R's need one bad and yours came out great.

Comment

Originally posted by Pklemm View Post
      Awesome job, those came out great! Looks like the acrylic rod you got fits well and looks OEM in the housing. You said you got the LED from a XTS? When you have a chance could you get a shot of just the LED chip? Interested to see what they use. Also, Love the FGL, the 4TL-R's need one bad and yours came out great.
      Thanks! I'm real happy with these. I'm stuck at work so I'll get a picture of the chip later tonight but they're Osram Joule JFLCLG1. And I need to redo the FGL. I couldn't even see the foreground cutoff when I first put everything in so I brought them down as much as I could but now they're a lil uneven lol. That was late on a Sunday night and needed everything back in for Monday morning >.> so I'll have to revisit that some other time.

Comment

Originally posted by FSanti87

Thanks! I'm real happy with these. I'm stuck at work so I'll get a picture of the chip later tonight but they're Osram Joule JFLCLG1. And I need to redo the FGL. I couldn't even see the foreground cutoff when I first put everything in so I brought them down as much as I could but now they're a lil uneven lol. That was late on a Sunday night and needed everything back in for Monday morning >.> so I'll have to revisit that some other time.
        Nice. Keep updating the shots after you adjust the FGL. Interested to see the cutoff on the ground. See exactly how much distance the beam is from the vehicle. I have a set of 4TL-R, I've done a quick mock up of a FGL but never finished. I'm in the middle of my build but once I'm done I'm think about using them for a 16 Accord build and trying to sell the retrofit housing on the accord forum. They are pretty good projectors just a lot of foreground with them.

Comment

This is the best picture I can get of the chip. I can get the heat sinks off but beyond that and I feel like Ima break something

They're both the same LEDs, just different heat sinks. One was from the headlight and one was from the bumper DRL

Comment

Wow that's a massive heatsink

Comment

Looks really good. That DRL is gonna be straight fire was you get it sorted out. Looking forward to seeing the final product.
              *CLICK BELOW ON WHAT YOU WANT TO SEE*

2014 Nissan Sentra Quads w/ XB Fogs

DSC_9349 by Sam Colt, on Flickr

Comment

Great looking retro, simple and clean. Nicely done.

Comment

Originally posted by HK45 View Post
                  Looks really good. That DRL is gonna be straight fire was you get it sorted out. Looking forward to seeing the final product.
                  Thank you! I'd say that'll be a couple years at least before I can even think about attempting that lol

Originally posted by Nuvolari View Post
                  Great looking retro, simple and clean. Nicely done.
                  Thanks! I feel so dirty just throwing in ready-to-run projectors after I started out trying to do something custom lol but oh well I felt better when I fired these up on the road

Comment

Originally posted by FSanti87 View Post
                    Thanks! I feel so dirty just throwing in ready-to-run projectors after I started out trying to do something custom lol but oh well I felt better when I fired these up on the road
                    I'm sure the great output will alleviate those feelings of dirtiness just fine.

Comment

Performance wise, must be a world of difference between the stock projector and the 4TL's. Same bolt pattern from old to new, thats a plus !
                      I like your idea of having the ballast contained inside the headlight. Encased and weatherproof. Are there other advantages of having the ballast internally mounted besides this ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by C_T_P View Post
                        Performance wise, must be a world of difference between the stock projector and the 4TL's. Same bolt pattern from old to new, thats a plus !
                        I like your idea of having the ballast contained inside the headlight. Encased and weatherproof. Are there other advantages of having the ballast internally mounted besides this ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        Yea the difference is ridiculous between the two

I tried mounting the ballasts inside the housings but I couldn't figure out how to secure them. There's a ton of room next to the high beam reflector but the housing has a funky shape on that side. So I just mounted them to the bottom with nuts and bolts. I just wanted a way for everything to be self contained

Comment

Make use of some available space, I know what you mean . It does look like a decent sized pocket in there .

How do you like them Denso's ? I've been on the fence for a while now about trying out some OEM ballasts . Our vehicles have been using aftermarket units, and so far haven't had any issues . (Knock on wood )

Comment

Originally posted by C_T_P View Post
                            Make use of some available space, I know what you mean . It does look like a decent sized pocket in there .

How do you like them Denso's ? I've been on the fence for a while now about trying out some OEM ballasts . Our vehicles have been using aftermarket units, and so far haven't had any issues . (Knock on wood )
                            I love them! That's all I've used tho, slims on this one and not-so-slims on my wife's car. Real quick startup. Although I have F3 fastbrights as a backup which start just as fast but I just love the peace of mind of OEM

Comment

Originally posted by FSanti87 View Post
                              I love them! That's all I've used tho, slims on this one and not-so-slims on my wife's car. Real quick startup. Although I have F3 fastbrights as a backup which start just as fast but I just love the peace of mind of OEM
                              Haven't gotten the chance to work with FastBrights either . I've seen a lot of happy posts on here from folks that use them . Right now its a toss up for me between Matsu's and Denso's .
                              Thank you for the input !

Comment

Working...
                              X