Corvette C5R Non-Pop Up Retrofit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corvette C5R Non-Pop Up Retrofit

I've been documenting my C5 non pop up headlight retrofit in a video build.

Check out part 1!

Part 2 to come soon... Here are a few renders from my CAD model:

Enjoy!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    www.embraceracing.com
    www.youtube.com/embraceracing
    www.instagram.com/embraceracing

Looks awesome, looking forward to final product

Comment

Very cool! Although with all that work, i'd probably use a better projector and reuse the shrouds.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder
      2017 Lexus CT200h F Sport

Comment

Thanks guys!

Yeah I'm going to test the projectors out, and if they're not up to par with my expectations I'll swap them out for the latest Mini H1 generation.

Comment

Originally posted by doublec4 View Post
          if they're not up to par with my expectations I'll swap them out for the latest Mini H1 generation
          I'd recommend Mini D2S 3.0 or 4.0 instead of the Mini-H1.
          www.fadingarrow.com

2001 Black Firebird Formula 5.7L V8 --- 75th Anniversary Package

Headlights: Hella 90mm Projector Headlights with 55watt DDM 4500K HID kit

2013 Blue Mustang GT 5.0 V8 Premium
          Headlights: Stock D3S Bi-Xenon

Comment

Originally posted by VIP1 View Post
            I'd recommend Mini D2S 3.0 or 4.0 instead of the Mini-H1.
            +1
            It doesn't look like the Mini H1 fits in without some margin there; the slightly larger D2S 4.0 should give you a good boost in visibility and allow the use of OE D2S bulbs.
            Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

Just saw this video yesterday and was like "hmm, I wonder if this guy is on the forum". Cool project.

You mentioned using eagle eye leds for the corners but I don't recall you saying if it was for a DRL effect or switchback function to serve as turn signal to? Please don't use those cheap Chinese eagle eye leds. If those are going to be aluminum pods go with quality Luxeon Rebel 1-up led stars in each. Maybe 3 white and 3 amber.

PC Amber

White 5000k
              www.automotiveLEDresearch.com

Comment

Looking forward to the rest of this build

Comment

You inspired my current build, you have some pretty sick designs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks guys!

To answer a few more questions... the "eagle eye" LEDs are in fact the Chinese ones. Obviously I'm not using them for illuminating anything, it's more just accent lighting than anything else. I have switchback LEDs in my dedicated turn signal housing and I opted not to tap into those and have even more turn signals. I didn't want to over do it. Sometimes less is more.

I'm currently working on the next video. To be completely candid, the whole thing is done at this point and they look pretty slick. I'm going to live with the H1 projectors for now, but I have a tendancy to not leave things alone.... so a D2S upgrade may be something to look into if I tear these down again

Comment

I dunno about the Eagle Eyes but I purchased some similar white Bolt LED's from SuperBrightLeds to use as full time DRL for my Jeep Sealed 7 and they are great. Very dependable. The go on and on and on without flicker, dimming, inconsistent on/off etc.... I have only 2 gripes:
                      1. The lens fell off of 1 of the 8 that I use.
                      2. The sun has faded off some of the black powdercoating.

Functionally, they are excellent performers. Especially to be in such a little cramped housing with 50w ballasts cooking CBI bulbs.

Comment

Part 2 is here

Comment

I'll say it again everything's coming along great! Looking forward to the finished product
                          Last edited by Pklemm; November 28th, 2016, 03:50 AM.

Comment

Thanks! Part 3 is up! It's done!

Comment

Sweet. That generic projector doesn't look half bad. Great custom build

Comment

Working...
                              X