Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Light-land V1- 10 Hyundai i10(the lazy build)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Light-land V1- 10 Hyundai i10(the lazy build)

Namaste mates, greetings from India. In this thread I will be documenting my setup done around 5 months back on my daily drive Hyundai i10. NOTE: apologies in advance as all I have phone camera pics other then output shots since I am not having good camera when I started this project. Also it has lots of pics and detail documentation of each step which maybe a little boring. Ok coming onto setup now. Around 1.5 year i had done my first retro on the very same car using generic mini h1, cheapo h1 bulbs and generic 55w ballast(they were brighter than oem 35w ballast I compared them with, so definitely they were more than 35w). Setup was doing fine also I was new to this world back then so I had least to complain and compare. But one fine day I sold the setup as was bored of it and bought oem new pair of headlights. I kept it stock for almost an year because by then I was far more into projector and going for mini again was no option in this time till the time I could decide and get something more and better performer. I had a spare set of headlights with me so it was ok with me to plan and carry out the mods patiently and tastefully still keeping it vfm. To my surprise one fine day I got hold of these low beam rx350 projectors at a steal away deal through my sources. They were low beam rhd with slope cutoff. I was planning to change vehicle in few months but no plan of selling it so thought to give it a retirement gift "A Retrofit".
    My feedback thread
    https://www.hidplanet.com/forums/for...for-mayurhuria

Since my headlights use h4 bulbs and need of high beam do occurs more often it was final i need a good bi-xenon projector. one day while generally browsing hidp, I went through this thread where ImagioX1 converted lhd rx350 projector to rhd using mini h1 and voila it was what i needed that very moment(thanks mate). Now for the required stuff, other than projector i got all my stuff(including mini h1 shield) for the project from local and reliable retrofitting firm [Xenonplanet.in(Disclaimer: I am not attached with them officially and unofficially and this is not any promotion just sharing info)], I really wanted to try TRS (and definitely will in future)but it was going a lil out of my decided budget due to shipping charges to India(I could have waited but has to keep project in desired budget). ok so got item from xenonplanet guys(mini h1 shield for conversion, dlt f5 ballast, cnlight d2s 6000k 35w bulbs(this combo to get 5000k output @ 50w), cnlight h4 relay, butyl). I did not ordered clear lens then because I was not sure for it back then. Looking at that thread I found conversion to be easy but still was afraid to mess the oem shield so I traced oem shield onto paper and then that drawing onto aluminium piece
    over which i mounted mini h1 shield to check working. Everything was fine with only one issue light leak at the edge of cutoff on both side. I got a little worried, raised question on hidp and found reason to be mini h1 shield size was not long on the sides for this purpose and solution to this was either a custom made shield which is longer on sides or to cut oem shield only as much where mini shield just ends on sides. Since I wanted the setup to be long lasting and the one I do not have to open every now and then so I followed option number 2 as I was a lil skeptical about making custom shield for notorious mini h1 solenoid. Now this time I did not try on aluminium piece rather directly onto oem shield. So finally low beam to bi-xenon conversion was done

and I fired it this time with mini shield on oem shield output was good with bi-xenon feature but still had little light leak. But this time I had no option of turning back or undoing anything so I played with curve of mini shield I observed it when i straightened the mini shield it kinda stopped the light leak not 100% but 95% so I did it that way only since it was daytime and I was not having any outside place to check cutoff @distance, so flattening shield prevented light leak but introduced bow which I found after completion of project. I love color on cutoff very much but i heard adding washer decreases width. i never wanted that also I wanted a perfect balance of both sharpness and color, since i was using mini h1 shield i had option of bending that towards bulb to increase color so I did the same and accidently bent right a lil too more and left a lil too less as per my liking. In the mean time I decided I will be going for clear lens as I have love for color and sharp cutoff so ordered sti-r lens from aliexpress. I knew it will be a long wait but I was lil impatience back then, as i have read the sti-r lens to sit flush on rx350 projector needs widening of rx350 lens holder. So in the mean time I widened the dia of one of the lens holder even before the lens has reached me and guess that was the mistake done that time. The lens reached and as soon as I tried to fit it in the already widened lens holder, to my shock it was very loose and was coming out and when I observed it was that I over widened the lens holder and secondly I felt it to be exact same size as oem lens. To verify that I removed the oem lens from the other lens holder which I did not widened and in that lens holder I placed the sti-r lens I bought and to my surprise and shock it sit perfectly in oem lens holder without any spacer or widening lens holder. Now I was in doubt as I heard sti-r lens is not a direct fit so will it provide me better output so I huridly fired the projector with sti-r lens and yup lens was right for this projector output was sharp and had developed color. Guess this particular lens is solution to all those who find problem in sti-r lens but i do not take any responsibility that it will be same in others case too as my rx350 projectors are taken out of a toyota vehicle. Now it was a good cum bad news too. It was good because lens was perfect fit and bad because I already spoiled one of the lens holder now I had option to run it with spacer to prevent lens getting out but heart was not ready for it. Again I tried same source from which i got projector. Luckily he had one piece of rx350 projector with broken bowl and rest everything all good shield, lens holder, lens. Had no other option, paid him money, got it from him and inserted other lens and I was good to go again. Earlier while removing oem lens out of lens holder I accidently cracked one of the oem lens so while reinserting sti-r lens I was overcautious and afraid such that I just fixed sti-r lens in lens holder but did not rotated it in lens holder as said it tends to improve color (foolish of me forgetting it that time). Played with shield (as mentioned in previous above post) and declared myself that projectors are finally ready to go in( guess was a lil afraid not to mess anything).
    Last edited by mayurhuria; October 12th, 2016, 04:55 AM.
    My feedback thread

Comment

My car hyundai i10 is not very hot hatch type or with a sporty feel so i wanted to keep it real simple and kinda oem only this time, but the headlight bezel is quite big and would come under projector causing a light pool around projector thus not making them stand out when looked at them from front. I really wanted them to standout but yet look oem type so again going all black theme was “NO” this time. So this time I decided ill try something to achieve my both purposes. Since these were my spare headlights also I wanted to do it tastefully I kept my option open, whenever I use to come across cars with oem hid setup I used to observe it quite closely. So when i had a chance to observe my uncles b7 audi a4 with hid setup and my knowns f10 520d. Bingo I got solution to my above problem. What I observed was both these headlight had the area below projector painted kinda silver and only when looked closely one can judge thats its not chrome but a theme of silver and chrome which looked so perfect and yet oe grade so I decided yes it is what I need to carry out. Hence finalising my theme on bezel and shroud being chrome and matte silver and reflector will be all black. I knew I can only get hold of all black high heat spray paint can. Ordering other color online will take a lot of time to reach me as it being inflammable item so shipping will be by surface, since the bezel are not that close to projector as much as the reflector is, I planned to carry out this way that I will be painting reflector all black using high heat paint can and bezel and shroud using 2k car paint from a professional car painter who was a known too. Removed all the chrome from the area i wanted to paint(toilet cleaner is the solution :-P) and wetsanded and prepared the surface for paint(no I do not want to trust my painter for this so done it myself), masked the area where I wanted to keep chrome and took it to my painter for the process. He then showed me the paint card to select the color from all the silver color option available. I was sure which one to choose as the one which remain as close as the chrome in looks but then I had a look upon "mitsubhishi moonlight silver" color from shade card and o boy I was completely sold for it. Though it was not close to chrome but I was firm I wanted that only. I played the gamble and wow it came out perfect. The perfect theme as per my liking.
      My feedback thread

Comment

Now here comes another issue as I was using 4 nut and bolt method to fix projector onto my reflector also to accommodate the back of projector through h4 slot of reflector. The slot hole dia has to be increased. Now in my reflector the parking light slot is very close to h4 slot so while increasing the h4 slot, parking light was eliminated and also I was painting reflector black there was no way it would have served purpose even it would have been saved. I feel having parking light is very useful and helpful so I needed that any possible way. Well what were my options? Hmmm I had option of adding drl, angel eyes etc but honestly I did not want them mainly because of the two main reasons: Firstly as I mentioned earlier I was building a setup in which I do not have to open headlight glass to change anything. As we know angel eyes etc tends to fail too often I never wanted to take that risk. Secondly never ever liked angel eyes, also I was planning a simple, classy, elegant and most important oem type setup in which changing anything is without opening headlight glass, simply like changing bulb. SOLUTION: my headlight bezel has dedicated reflector slot for turn signal bulb which uses halogen bulb and it can be changed without even dismantling headlight out of car (sorry for dirty engine bay pics. A full engine detailing is in cards soon) and bingo in came idea of 1157 switchback led bulb into turn signal slot. I know I know you gents will say that even they do also fail more often and output is average other than “triton” (which was far out of budget). I knew I wanted it to be like I can change it with ease whenever I want so in came idea of taking out oem turn signal bulb holder. Well when looked upon its simple but very well designed. When looked from outside no wires come outside of headlight (apologies again for dirty headlight as spare headlights lying in store room from very long) but are connected internally via contact through points In the mean time I already ordered switchback led bulb from aliexpress (I know they have average output but trust me that is how I wanted them to be. As if output would be more it would turn out to be glary to oncoming traffic which I never wanted, also parking lights are mostly dull in output). Now looking at the turn signal bulb holder and the way it is connected in oem form I got an idea. I grabbed brake light bulb holder locally and planned to flush fit it in oem turn signal holder. So in they go as using the same ground as earlier it had in oem form. I epoxied new holder into oem holder shell (cant find that particular picture) and connected the wires of new holder to oem turn signal and parking wire as shown in pic below. Keeping ground as same point contact even I also wanted the turn signal and parking connection source to be point contact but had to fix wire them with extra wire length so as still I can pull out holder and change bulb whenever I want with ease. I also grabbed blink speed control led relay as I was going for led turn signal and it would hyperflash. With that relay I am even able to control blink speed as per my liking. Cooooollll. Well guess all the issues were sorted and finally build was complete 
        Last edited by mayurhuria; October 12th, 2016, 04:59 AM.
        My feedback thread

Comment

End Result
          My feedback thread

Comment

Finally a friend clicked some pics from his dslr camera. Low beam(the glare above cutoff you see on car doors is of switchback led) High beam Low beam High beam Thats all for now folks.
            My feedback thread

Comment

Good job!

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder
              2017 Lexus CT200h F Sport

Comment

Originally posted by Haloruler64 View Post
                Good job!
                Thanks a lot sir.
                My feedback thread

Comment

Nice job, the finished headlights look great and they look like they perform great. That high beam looks really good.
                  --- 2008 WK - Headlight Retrofit - Foglight Retrofit ---
                  ---
                  2013 Speed Triple ---
                  --- 2003 SV650s - Retrofit ---

Comment

Wow nice job

Comment

Originally posted by 2003_sv650s View Post
                      Nice job, the finished headlights look great and they look like they perform great. That high beam looks really good.
                      Indeed it is. They perform really good. Best part is distance lighting. High beam is really good.

Originally posted by Pklemm View Post
                      Wow nice job
                      Thanks mate :-)
                      My feedback thread

Comment

Glad the tutorial came in handy for someone! Great job!
                        Custom shield service not available at this time.

PM is not a great way to reach me. Email me at imagioX1@outlook.com

Comment

Originally posted by ImagioX1 View Post
                          Glad the tutorial came in handy for someone! Great job!
                          Yeah alot! Thanks a ton mate
                          My feedback thread

Comment

Looks good. What's next?
                            Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

Originally posted by satrya View Post
                              Looks good. What's next?
                              Glad you asked.well i have plans for v1. Basically they are.
                              Custom made shield(to cure bow, i love slope so slope.also it will be add on shield)
                              Passive demon eyes
                              Custom made switchback leds.

Well for V2
                              M yet to decide it will be sedan or suv so plans aftr that
                              My feedback thread

Comment

Working...
                              X