2009 Civic EX + MD2S 3.0 retrofit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2009 Civic EX + MD2S 3.0 retrofit

I had some Muranos sitting around, but I just didn't have the guts to hack up some brand new headlights. Plus I did some back to back testing with a light meter, and the MD2S hot spot was about 2x brighter. If I tuned the Muranos it would be about even, but I just want a plug and play solution this go round.

Anyways here's where I am:

Baked em in a box since my oven was too small.... 1000 degree heat gun could only keep the box at just about 250 degrees at full blast:

Next steps:

- Test fitting projectors in housings- completed with some pro tips
    - Cutting and mounting shrouds- waiting on shrouds
    - Cleaning, possibly painting (gunmetal grey, flat) and re-sealing headlights
    - Mounting and aiming
    - Waiting until like August to actually need headlights since the sun's out from 6A to 9P

Running the 50W Morimoto ballasts and 4100K bulbs.... should be nice.
    Last edited by sportyaccordy; June 11th, 2016, 09:14 AM. Reason: Added tags

Interesting method to baking to headlights open. I have that same heat gun and I'll need a method of baking mine open, since I don't think the wife will let me use the oven again. Did you just cut a hole in the bottom of the box?

Comment

Wrap the box in tin foil to hold the heat in. Nice ingenuity still, I may have to do that next time. Had to clean the oven twice before my wife was happy

Comment

Originally posted by Zac. View Post
        Interesting method to baking to headlights open. I have that same heat gun and I'll need a method of baking mine open, since I don't think the wife will let me use the oven again. Did you just cut a hole in the bottom of the box?
        Yes.... I baffled it so that the volume of the box was smaller and the heat gun never hit the headlight directly.

Not sure if you can make sense of this.... the heat gun is behind that flap on the upper right corner. Then I capped that with another piece of cardboard:

But left enough of a gap so the heat from the gun could get over the flap to the headlight. What would make it work really well is if you got a high temp tube that could circulate heat from in the box back to the inlet of the heat gun. But again you have to baffle it and control the temps so you don't melt the headlight. Worked really well this way though.

Comment

That's how I separated my headlights. Keeps the oven clean!

Comment

Fairly known method and it works.
            *CLICK BELOW ON WHAT YOU WANT TO SEE*

2014 Nissan Sentra Quads w/ XB Fogs

DSC_9349 by Sam Colt, on Flickr

Comment

Cut + test fit one side. Not getting full coverage but these headlights go deeeeep and the projectors sit pretty far out. I guess this is one disadvantage of the MD2S. If I wanted to hack up the headlight I could get much prettier fitment. For a quick smash and grab job though I can't complain.

Comment

It looks like the lens hides it fairly well
                *CLICK BELOW ON WHAT YOU WANT TO SEE*

2014 Nissan Sentra Quads w/ XB Fogs

DSC_9349 by Sam Colt, on Flickr

Comment

Yea I think it's going to be good enough. Depending on how their upcoming bi-LEDs perform and fit I may do this all over again for that.

Comment

Good progress. When you're trimming the shroud, make sure the biXenon and the OE high beam centers line up reasonably well.
                    Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

I played around with some FGL ideas all a bit and I know what I'm gonna do.

Here's the stock MD2S output, no FGL

Here's the FGL template I'm using:

Here's what the output looks like with a flat FGL- no bueno, see how it pinches at the sides?:

For reference, here's the Murano stock output with what I consider an awesome FGL:

Here's what I was able to come up with (the curved side of my FGL template):

I'm thinking of the best way to do it. I'm thinking I'll have to grab some 1/16" sheetmetal and fab something up out of sheetmetal. But I at least have the idea down. Main thing will be to get it nice, round, and smooth, and figure out the best curve to use. Still have some soda can templates to play with, but it looks promising.

Comment

Looks good. I vote for aluminum flashing; a bit thicker than the aluminum from soda cans, but still very easy to use.
                        Fwiw, here's my e55r FG limiter thread:
                        https://www.hidplanet.com/forums/for...te?view=thread
                        The plier handle "template" worked very well

Comment

Ha, brilliant!

Where did you get the material and how did you cut it so cleanly?

Comment

Quick and dirty update, sorry for the crappy cell phone pics. Got some cheapo sheetmetal from Lowes and fabbed up an FGL. Basically came out perfect and should be really easy to replicate for the other side. Does require some tuning before install but I think it's just about right.

I think I will grab the nice camera and write up a DIY + put out a template for these when I fab the other side. Really pleased with the outcome.

Only question I have now is should I bend the top so heat can get out?

Comment

Originally posted by sportyaccordy View Post
                              Where did you get the material and how did you cut it so cleanly?
                              If you're in north america, look for sheet aluminum sold for "roof flashing". They come in rolls of 12" width or so. They are rigid enough for this purpose, and can be cut with household scissors.

Also, from my personal experience, I ended up with an FG limiter that is likely more aggressive than what you have. And yet, having used it for years now, I wish I went even further to block light up to 3 (parked) cars ahead.

Comment

Working...
                              X