2014 Ford Focus MD2S 3.0 (TLF Redux)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HK45
    started a topic 2014 Ford Focus MD2S 3.0 (TLF Redux)

2014 Ford Focus MD2S 3.0 (TLF Redux)

So a year ago this month, some of you remember the infamous retro done for a member brought to us by The Lighting Firm(TLF). Or should I say The No Longer In Business Lighting Firm. In case you wonder why TLF is no longer in business or missed the thread, let me remind you of their work:

Before

Before

Before

It was unfortunate the member had this kind of work done for a hefty price tag on a new car. He was able to live with it until one of his LED DRLs stopped working. Fortunately for him, TLF accepted the fact their work was crap and refunded his money. Our member deserved better and get what he paid good money for. Let's see what we can do for him.

After

After

After

So On To The Retro

Morimoto MD2S 3.0 Projectors
    Iris Shrouds
    HD Relay Harness

Morimoto XB55 Ballasts
    Morimoto XB 6500K Bulbs

Before

After

The Work

Opened up and reflector removed

Bummer, doesn't fit

Let's make the hole bigger

And need to cut off this corner mount

Fits now after a little trimming

Since there was no room behind the headlights on the car, I wanted to put the ballasts inside the headlight so it was all one unit. And it all fit with just a tiny amount of trimming!

The shrouds needed a lot of trimming so I wanted to try something new. Traced out the shroud onto a piece of construction paper

Taped it onto the projector and cut out the pattern with a razor blade

See where adjustments needed to be made and transferred it to another paper shroud

Repeated until I got the right shape

Attached paper to actual shroud and scored it with a razor blade following the line of the paper shroud. Then traced the score with a marker to see where I needed to cut

Success!

Repeat for the other headlight and seal them up!

Fin

Thanks for takin a looksie!
    Last edited by HK45; March 7th, 2016, 04:29 PM.

• MRauties
    replied
    Clean AF!!

Leave a comment:

• mengmlo
    replied
    looks good.

Leave a comment:

• rebelx
    replied
    Originally posted by Nuvolari View Post
    The cooler color bulbs just don't do well on dark wet Tarmac.
    I think I'll be stepping down to 4500k when these 55k bulbs wear out.

Leave a comment:

• rebelx
    replied
    Originally posted by HK45 View Post
    Haha the untold truths of a HID retro. It took me a little bit to get used to the cutoff on my FX-Rs. I still watch the cutoff bouncing when I drive lol. As for HID in the rain, I can't say I have an issue with that because quads shine(literally) in this department. teheeheehohohohohahahaha
    I think I should have had you do quads

Leave a comment:

• HK45
    replied
    Originally posted by csjoh View Post
    Finally he has decent lighting! I love the paper cutout for the shroud trimming, but would be wary of using it for more open applications, as there is potential for light bleed. I think. I'd love to be proven wrong, however, and shown that this method works for all applications.
    Since the shroud was already not covering the entire projector opening, light bleed was to too much of a concern since it would be inevitable in this application. Could it work on other applications? With adjustments to the process, I could see it possibly working. Guess I'll have to give it a try on my next retro :-)

Leave a comment:

• Haloruler64
    replied
    I drove a car with 6000K, maybe 6500K bulbs before, visibility was pretty poor at night on dark tarmac. Even 5000K, which is still pretty cool, is far far better on the same roads.

Leave a comment:

• Nuvolari
    replied
    The cooler color bulbs just don't do well on dark wet Tarmac.

Leave a comment:

• dreamer1213
    replied
    rebelx - the shroud choice comment was directed to you, lol. And yup, if you do not want razor sharp, you will need to go to a fresnel lens option - for now, you could possibly aim your headlights up just a tad to get some more distance lighting.

Leave a comment:

• csjoh
    replied
    Finally he has decent lighting!

I love the paper cutout for the shroud trimming, but would be wary of using it for more open applications, as there is potential for light bleed. I think.

I'd love to be proven wrong, however, and shown that this method works for all applications.

Leave a comment:

• Drewski32
    replied
    Yeah I'm not sure if my hids are worse than halogen in the rain or i just expect them to be better than they are now. I want fogs bad but the brackets are so damn expensive.

And my old h11 projectors had a fairly sharp cutoff so my visibility has only improved with my mh1's.... which i am starting to realize aren't that sharp towards the sides kf the output despite the curved shield

Leave a comment:

• edouble
    replied
    Good job! Output looks perfect.

Leave a comment:

• HK45
    replied
    Haha the untold truths of a HID retro. It took me a little bit to get used to the cutoff on my FX-Rs. I still watch the cutoff bouncing when I drive lol. As for HID in the rain, I can't say I have an issue with that because quads shine(literally) in this department.

teheeheehohohohohahahaha
    Last edited by HK45; March 8th, 2016, 04:23 PM.

Leave a comment:

• rebelx
    replied
    Originally posted by Drewski32 View Post
    rebelx what don't you like about it? I'm just curious because i came off of halogen projectors so i was already used to the cutoff and i don't have any problems
    The biggest weakness I found was the crisp cutoff from the clear lens. I talked to HK about it, and for when I do my next retro/car, I'll look into getting a fresnel lens. For example, if I'm stopped at a generously sized intersection, the cutoff will only light up the feet of pedestrians. In my old halogen reflector, I wouldn't say it would light up the entire pedestrian, but there was enough light bleed to make a pedestrian more obvious. I've only come across this scenario at two intersections (both large, both late at night, both with pedestrians), and this issue does not exist at smaller intersections as the aim is naturally higher, but it's still a cause for concern.

Another thing I don't like is dark on-ramps/exits. Because my car does not have auto turn headlights, the lights point only straight. Since the halogen reflectors would scatter some light around, it made for safer on-ramps navigation because I could see "further" ahead on the curve. With HIDs, the projectors keep the light fixed in place ahead of me and prevent me from seeing past the turn angle. In other words, I am essentially blind to what's on the curve until my car is in front of it.

We had a bunch of rain yesterday and I can confirm that the HIDs performed worse in the rain than the halogen projectors. I suspect this has to do with color more than anything else. I'm running 55k bulbs, but on a 50w ballast. I'm hoping the lights yellow out slightly more. If they don't, I'd consider using amber Laminx on my fogs to obtain a similar result and to create more contrast on the road. I was primarily using my fogs with the halogen reflectors to add more visible light when driving and now that I don't absolutely need to (but I still do), the fogs can still serve a functional purpose with adding contrast. I'm just worried about burning out the Laminx (as some people have complained) and greatly diminishing light output.

Originally posted by dreamer1213 View Post
    FINALLY! Great choice for a shroud and TOP NOTCH work, as always HK! Looks awesome!
    I'm going to take credit for the shroud choice, but all the fitment credit goes to HK

Leave a comment:

• dreamer1213
    replied
    FINALLY! Great choice for a shroud and TOP NOTCH work, as always HK! Looks awesome!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X