On the fly frosted lens!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On the fly frosted lens!

So i was driving in cold rainy weather the other night and noticed my output looks weird. It seemed to be the same about of light, but i couldnt spot my cutoff\slopes. So im looking and looking starting to freak out flipping the highbeams on and off trying to see whats going on. So i park and get out thinking somethings wrong walking around the front to look. The front of my headlights got frosted with ice from the drive home. I scraped one side off and wala my cutoff appeared! Heres a pic i shot of one frosted and one not, just thought it was funny\cool\interesting.

Yep thats one of the negatives of having HID and LED headlights. They run so cool it takes a lot longer for snow and ice to melt off them.
    Custom shield service not available at this time.

PM is not a great way to reach me. Email me at imagioX1@outlook.com

Comment

Cool? Have you touched a bulb
      Originally posted by nine44
      350 wit da wrist boy?

Comment

Originally posted by Ilikecars View Post
        Cool? Have you touched a bulb
        Yep and got a big blister on my hand from doing so. But on a cold night that amount of heat is not enough to warm the lens to the point where ice and snow will melt off them unlike halogen reflector headlights. And the LEDs are way cooler than the HID's.
        Custom shield service not available at this time.

PM is not a great way to reach me. Email me at imagioX1@outlook.com

Comment

That bulb........fire was not as hot lol
          Originally posted by nine44
          350 wit da wrist boy?

Comment

"cool beam"

Comment

+1 on HID not being warm enough to de ice the housing lens compared to halogen
              Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

Time for a headlight washer retrofit.

Comment

If it's cold enough, that only adds to the problem...

OEM halogen reflector headlights | Osram Rallye H7 65W low beams | Philips Vision H1 55W high beams | Pre-facelift orange indicators

Retrofits in progress: MDX LED retrofit | RX350/EvoX-R quad w/'moto HD relay, Mitsubishi gen4 ballasts and selectable quad wiring (needs lots of fixing)

My retrofits

Comment

ahhh i remember those days a month ago. I remember why my output sucked ass... everything was frosted. I have some pictures somewhere!
                    Just doing some things with some stuff....

www.OTSDetail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Nuvolari View Post
                      Time for a headlight washer retrofit.
                      Yuup, that's why headlights washers are required in a legal HID setup

Comment

Originally posted by firephoenix View Post
                        Yuup, that's why headlights washers are required in a legal HID setup
                        True true, although I think some states are pretty lax. For example I don't think my C6 Corvette had washers.

Comment

I remember my long-range 18cm lights on previous car (swedish style- mounted on bumper).

with 100W h3 bulbs it did not matter how frosted, iced whaterver they were.
                          After a minute or so- the would melt everthing... actually you could really feel the heat on your hand when place 2 inches from the lense

Comment

Working...
                          X