Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TRS Hella EvoX-R BMW E46 Retrofit

Hello,

I hereby welcome myself to this forum! Been lurking and drooling for quite a while, though.

I finally did a retrofit myself, replacing the burnt ZKW projectors in my E46. God damn those things were unsafe. Halogens were outputting way more than them... It's getting dark at nights now, so I did it just in time.

I bought the retro-quik EvoX-R kit from TRS. Bulbs are a no-name brand. Thinking about getting some Philips or Osram bulbs, but as per now I'm happy with these bulbs.

I'll cut straight to the pictures:

Cutoff:
    DSC_0808.jpg
    High beams (xenon + halogens)
    DSC_0809.jpg
    And of course, a flicker-pic:
    DSC_0812.jpg
    Looks pretty much like OEM:
    DSC_0822.jpg
    Last edited by Tommy88; September 10th, 2014, 01:38 AM.

Looks cool, Crazy color. OEM look FTW.

Comment

I hope you kept the ZKW lenses though, those clear lenses might as well be gold lol. FANTASTIC output to, jealous!

2005 Dodge Magnum R/T
      Headlight Setup: MH1 7.0 xb35 5500k bulbs acme ballasts MGG
      Performance: 5.7 Hemi MDS, W5A580 Muffler delete, K&N Intake
      Appearance: SRT8 Challenger Wheels
      Check out my tuning page on Facebook!-------> https://www.facebook.com/pages/Rapid...62482277210221

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy88 View Post
        High beams (xenon + halos)
        Looks good.

For a brief moment, I thought it was odd that the high beam was a combination of the EvoX-R's high beam mode and some angel eye "halo" (or possibly the oem angel eye)... what kind of angel eye could possibly contribute to a high beam output worthy to be used alongside the e55r's high beam...

Until I realized you meant "halo"-gens.
        Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

Originally posted by satrya View Post
          Looks good.

For a brief moment, I thought it was odd that the high beam was a combination of the EvoX-R's high beam mode and some angel eye "halo" (or possibly the oem angel eye)... what kind of angel eye could possibly contribute to a high beam output worthy to be used alongside the e55r's high beam...

Ohh, now I get it. I thought he meant highs + halo rings too. Seemed weird to me too that halos could contribute to highs

Comment

man!!!! that evoxr's high beam is killer! maybe i should've did those with mine instead of TLr's. but yes OEM look FTW. was it pretty simple to do?

Comment

Nice colorful cutoff!

Comment

Originally posted by Nuvolari View Post
                Ohh, now I get it. I thought he meant highs + halo rings too. Seemed weird to me too that halos could contribute to highs
                I suppose in a few years it may be economically feasible for laser based high beams to have small enough frontal footprint to go around a low beam lens. So you can create a ring that emits high beam laser. (I realize beam dispersion isn't quite ideal with the current laser technology to be in that configuration, but that may change)
                Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

I think anything is possible, even the unimaginable to us right now, with so much advancement in lighting tech such as lasers, plasma, etc.... Good example is how led made lighting applications possible in confined spaces, otherwise deemed impossible.

Comment

Originally posted by Nuvolari View Post
                    Looks cool, Crazy color. OEM look FTW.
                    Loving it! Although it does suck that I had to glue the shroud to the projector... Not going to be easy disassembling (if needed).

Originally posted by Liber_Jr View Post
                    I hope you kept the ZKW lenses though, those clear lenses might as well be gold lol. FANTASTIC output to, jealous!
                    Yes I did. Actually tried setting some paper on fire with it, brought back to my younger years, playing with magnifying glasses.

Originally posted by satrya View Post
                    Looks good.

Err, my bad. Corrected it now! Would be awesome angel eyes, though...

Originally posted by 901kingj View Post
                    man!!!! that evoxr's high beam is killer! maybe i should've did those with mine instead of TLr's. but yes OEM look FTW. was it pretty simple to do?
                    Yes, it's amazing at night. I have noticed one side being a bit brighter, but I guess that's because one bulbs only has 2-3 hours of burn time so far?

It was more or less a walk in the park. Used original screw holes. Had to dremel a bit to make room for the solenoid, and cut out space on the flat side of the shrouds...

Comment

Really nice. I did my E46 with Mini H1s (from normal Halogen) but I'm planning on going OEM / EvoX-R.
                      ! Check out my Ride !

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy88 View Post
                        Yes, it's amazing at night. I have noticed one side being a bit brighter, but I guess that's because one bulbs only has 2-3 hours of burn time so far?
                        Nope, it's because you're using cheap China bulbs. If you look at the first picture, you have no hotspot under the cutoff on the driver's side, which typically means bulb seating issue or that the bulb is crooked (i.e. not exactly 90 degrees perpendicular to the bulb base). The passenger side looks much better, as there is a hotspot, but it's a little low and to the right, so that bulb is probably not quite right, either.

Get a pair of OEM bulbs and things will be better.

Good job though, it looks great!

OEM halogen reflector headlights | Osram Rallye H7 65W low beams | Philips Vision H1 55W high beams | Pre-facelift orange indicators

Retrofits in progress: MDX LED retrofit | RX350/EvoX-R quad w/'moto HD relay, Mitsubishi gen4 ballasts and selectable quad wiring (needs lots of fixing)

My retrofits

Comment

Hey, I just bought a 325ci 2004. I have Hella EvoX-R projectors with 5Five ballasts. I was wondering if it was a simple swap with the stock projectors or if you had to use the dremel a little. If so, do you have pictures of where and how complicated it was to do?

Thanks

Comment

Great output

Comment

Damn those look great!!

Here’s what they look like with CBI bulbs (EVOX-R in my Fusion)

2017 Ford F150 3.5 Ecoboost

Comment

Working...
                              X