Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VWVortex LED & HID fail

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...LED-Fog-Lights

so... while on the 'tex... a guy posts a install thread of a H11 LED bulb kit into a reflector fog housing....

the company... (likes his suckers buying his crap)... likes to claim no-glare with his kits
    ugy9u8y5.jpg
    I think that speaks for itself.

Then goes onto say they have an HID kit for reflectors that produce no glare. Makes a couple other claims without proof....

which leads to
    http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...all-and-review

so the OP of that thread makes a garage shot (not the HIDplanet standard distance).....

20140623_205549_zpsd58cdc9a.jpg

here's my quick markup using MS paint.
    Deautokeynoglare_zpsd944fb8d.jpg

the irony of this is the arrogance of these "german enthusiasts".... thinking they are better than the ricer Japanese crowd with their glare-producing HID kits.... and the companies that take advantage of their arrogance/ignorance.

I remember reading on a Mercedes forum also where they were buying I think it was like $180-ish HID kits because they were from Germany made especially for their cars
    Originally posted by gold94corolla
    it gets you all the b*tches

Comment

WOWWWW. Talk about being gullible.
      2010 Civic Si

Comment

Originally posted by toooosloooow View Post
        I think that speaks for itself.
        I think it's human nature to believe first hand observation more so than what others say, especially if the first hand observation already shaped one's conclusion. If I didn't appreciate that good foglight shouldn't look that uniform and shouldn't have that much light above the horizon, I may be inclined to agree that the "brighter" LED fogs are much more useful than the dim halogen to the left in that picture.

I'm not saying that I agree with that review, but how can you argue against that in a brief manner?
        Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

Originally posted by satrya View Post
          I think it's human nature to believe first hand observation more so than what others say, especially if the first hand observation already shaped one's conclusion. If I didn't appreciate that good foglight shouldn't look that uniform and shouldn't have that much light above the horizon, I may be inclined to agree that the "brighter" LED fogs are much more useful than the dim halogen to the left in that picture.

I'm not saying that I agree with that review, but how can you argue against that in a brief manner?
          back in the day, fog lights used to be used and designed such that it provided foreground lighting in fog conditions.

these days, fogs are designed more to light up the corners of the road, for the fog/inclement conditions, especially on curvier roads. WHen the fog beam is no longer well controlled for the vertical cutoff, as you see in the picture, they are not that effective for the true intention of fog lights, even the older definition, as the light would get reflected back into the driver's eyes, defeating the purpose of a fog light in the first place.

If that was such a good idea, you would think TRS would have jumped on this, instead of offering their LED fogs or the BMW ones.

If you mounted the CC LED setup up high... you would have a decent LED driving light setup

Comment

I guess what I'm saying is that most prospective aftermarket parts buyer don't necessarily think about the nuances of what makes a good light source, other than using the gut reaction of "brighter is better".

Comment

I guess what I'm saying is that most prospective aftermarket parts buyer don't necessarily think about the nuances of what makes a good light source, other than using the gut reaction of "brighter is better".
              brighter is better if properly distributed, but all those HID/LED in reflectors is the exact opposite as most on here know.
              Octa projectors, eight OEM bulbs, ~30,000lm , and 169 degrees of driving heaven!

Comment

Originally posted by michael.kozera View Post
                brighter is better if properly distributed, but all those HID/LED in reflectors is the exact opposite as most on here know.
                I think the "if properly distributed" is a complicated question.

Comment

I think the "if properly distributed" is a complicated question.
                  How about distributed as the design originally intended?
                  2005 Legacy GT: Stage 2 + VF52 turbo, RX330 w/custom shield, Nichia DRL

Comment

Nice lol... his poor neighbors

turned a perfectly fine set of fog lights into driving/DRL lights

Comment

^^^ is that his fog lights? i thought those where his highbeams
                      Octa projectors, eight OEM bulbs, ~30,000lm , and 169 degrees of driving heaven!

Comment

Yup, what used to be his fog lights

at least the color looks good (he's also got some ugly blue fail LEDs in his head lights)

Comment

index.jpg

Comment

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...ghts-for-VW-CC

vaja2a3u.jpg

Comment

I just went through that thread, and the OP is an enormous tool.
                              Originally posted by Bitter
                              They're literally flying canoes with boxer engines packed full of Molotov cocktails that rely on tampons and $10 screws to stay in the air and not kill you.

Comment

Working...
                              X