Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Evo-X R BMW E39 swap

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Evo-X R BMW E39 swap

    First swap in years. OEM Projectors were loosing their sheen and output was terrible.

    Car - 2001 BMW 530i
    Housing - OEM cleaned and polished with 3M resto. kit
    Projector - Evo-X R (trs)
    Ballasts - Morimoto 5Five (trs)
    Capsule - Osram 66240 (400-500 hrs)
    High beam - Osram SS
    Camera - G'nex 5MP

    Wall aprox. 35-40 ft.

    wall_s1.jpg

    wall_s2.jpg



    Truck aprox. 45-50f ft. away

    truck_s1.jpg



    High beams

    Closeup
    HB_s1.jpg

    Aprox. 30 ft. away & slightly down hill
    HB_s2.jpg


    Any feedback and constructive thoughts are welcome.

    Thanks!
    Phillip
    Last edited by Luvmy328is; January 29th, 2014, 01:38 PM. Reason: Duplicate post

  • #2
    Looks good. You Hella guys are lucky.

    Comment


    • #3
      Looks good.
      The one thing that makes those e55r's even more useful, is the addition of a foreground limiter. If you decide to open the headlights for a second time, this mod is very easy to do.

      With this amount of gap:

      You get this:
      Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

      3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by sportyaccordy View Post
        Looks good. You Hella guys are lucky.
        hella lucky?
        Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

        3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by satrya View Post
          hella lucky?
          I wanted someone else to take the fall on that one

          Comment


          • #6
            Haha *Cartman! Stop saying Hella*. Thanks for the feedback. I may pop open the p/s once more, not sure if I got it resealed tightly. Then I may experiment with the shield.

            Phil

            Comment


            • #7
              Looking good Phil.

              Comment


              • #8
                Just forwarded this to a friend of mine with an E39, who knows, maybe he'll bite.

                Are these housings permasealed or are these still the clip style BMW lights?

                Originally posted by cthunder
                The more you mod your car the moodier it gets.
                Avalon Dual Lens | Rogue LED | Mori 3800K | Mori 3Five | H11 PnP LED

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Fstrsn View Post
                  Just forwarded this to a friend of mine with an E39, who knows, maybe he'll bite.

                  Are these housings permasealed or are these still the clip style BMW lights?
                  They are sealed. The 2001 and 2002 can be baked open (or with a heat gun), but for '03, they switched to a different epoxy that cannot be opened.

                  If your friend gets a pair, get him/her to ensure that they TEST the projectors before tearing apart the housings. I installed mine and while one is perfect, the other one sucks, and barely throws any light on the road. TRS are sending me a replacement, but I have to remove and bake open my headlights again.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by adamo99 View Post
                    They are sealed. The 2001 and 2002 can be baked open (or with a heat gun), but for '03, they switched to a different epoxy that cannot be opened.

                    If your friend gets a pair, get him/her to ensure that they TEST the projectors before tearing apart the housings. I installed mine and while one is perfect, the other one sucks, and barely throws any light on the road. TRS are sending me a replacement, but I have to remove and bake open my headlights again.
                    If he decides to go through with it, I'll be doing the retro. What is wrong with the defective EVO-X-R may I ask?

                    Originally posted by cthunder
                    The more you mod your car the moodier it gets.
                    Avalon Dual Lens | Rogue LED | Mori 3800K | Mori 3Five | H11 PnP LED

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Fstrsn View Post
                      If he decides to go through with it, I'll be doing the retro. What is wrong with the defective EVO-X-R may I ask?
                      I have no idea- I don't know whether it's shield horizontal placement, shield vertical alignment, bowl alignment, lens alignment, bulb alignment, etc., but the driver side is perfect, and the passenger side looks like the hotspot is way too high, and there's next to no light being reflected on the road (a bit of an exaggeration- there is light, just MUCH weaker than the driver side- the camera compensates for the exposures above, forgot to put it in manual mode).

                      After going back on email for weeks, I got fed up and asked for a replacement, which I am waiting for. If it shows up and the performance is the same, I'm just putting the original projectors back in, and running those with the 5Five ballasts and CBI bulbs. Mine are in surprisingly good condition, no burning anywhere (but my car only has 80,000 miles on it).

                      The quality with the working stuff is fantastic, but I'm not horribly impressed with their quality control. Had I wanted to tear everything apart and practically rebuild projectors from scratch, I would have saved a pile of money and bought stuff out of China.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Yea, I have a late 2001 so baking worked. 175F for 15 minutes. While your in there, replace the adjusters too. I had a broken one on the p/s which I replaced, then while taken apart the d/s, those broke too. There is a guy on eBay selling for $17/light w/ free USPS shipping. Do both and be done with it. FYI - dealer cost is about $100. I also got improved hotspot and down road light by shifting the bowl up a bit and re-tightening the bolts.

                        Addl. photos:

                        4 High beams on the wall
                        IMG_20140129_184655.jpg


                        Ubiquitous, down the side of a building shot.
                        IMG_20140129_184855.jpg

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X