Mini-D2S color modding and tuning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mini-D2S color modding and tuning

Ben at STC Audio and Performance tuned the lens spacing on my MD2S setup yesterday (had to take the projector out to fix a sticking solenoid anyhow). The result is a surprisingly colorful cutoff!

Heres the projectors before tuning (I apologize for the upside down photo, my phone flipped the image for some reason in the upload.)
    image.jpg

Here's the projector with about a 1/5" amount of spacing around all 4 lens holder screws:
    image.jpg

The spacing nicely softened the cutoff output enough to a crisp line. We shined the projector down a hallway and the blue line fanned out pretty well over distance. Looking into the beam looks like a flickering blue/violet laser. Mission accomplished It's not quite TL territory, but it's much more interesting than before.

Also, the bowls of both projectors look just fine after running CBIs at 50w for the past three months. Not bad!
    | Video game lighting artist | Pew pew!

Wait... why is that first picture yellow? All of the Mini D2S I've seen have a gorgeous cutoff, even ebay ones. Never seen any yellow.. weird..
    2012 Volkswagen Golf R. 2016 Ford Fiesta ST

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Comment

Looks like the projector is close to the wall, probably about 10ft. see my sig for similar effect
      FXR 3.0, Osram 66240, morimoto 5five ballasts
      Matchbox projectors for hi beam, 35w 4300k
      Is300 fogs, 100w halogens
      Originally posted by phantom240
      Having spent a good many days helping my friend with his '85 300SDL, I can say that it takes balls of steel, an anus of concrete, and infinite patience to bring one of these Deutschland Demons back to life.

Comment

How far from the wall are both of those shots taken?

If its close to the wall, as already mentioned, its supposed to be yellow like that. If your sitting inside of an office and the color band is blue its only going to get distorted in the distance.
        Check out our current promotions to save up to 15% on your next parts order with us

Need help? Contact us - Email: info@lightwerkz.net

HID Retrofits l Halos l Lens Restorations l Repairs l Installations

Follow us on Facebook & Instagram ! Subscribe to our YouTube channel for pro tips and behind the scenes videos!

Comment

The shot to the wall was taken with the projector about 15 feet away. It was adjusted just enough to introduce color to the band, but it doesn't distort much at distance. At night, the violet becomes about 4" tall at 100' to a surface.

Mind you, this may not be the ideal or perfect setup, but the goal was an aesthetic mod with minimal impact on performance and I think we achieved it.

Nighttime output shots to come soon!

Comment

Output shots:

photo 3-3.jpg

photo 2-3.jpg

photo 4-3.jpg

image.jpg
            Last edited by ScottW; May 7th, 2013, 12:00 AM.

Comment

Now those are aligned perfectly!!! wow

Comment

looks nice but the color band still looks alil liight imo it could look darker/better if you continue to mod it using the washers by mixing them maybe?2 washers on top and 4 on the bottom try it an go from there maybe?
                2001 Honda Civic LX sedan 5spd classic/generic mini H1 projectors w/custom shield.

Comment

The hotspots seem to be missing.
                  This is Mini D2S 2.0, right?
                  Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

Originally posted by satrya View Post
                    The hotspots seem to be missing.
                    This is Mini D2S 2.0, right?
                    yea it looks like the 2.0,i can tell by the longer cutoff step(or w/e it's called lol)also i believe the 2.0 versions don't have a hotspot right? the light is spread equally.
                    2001 Honda Civic LX sedan 5spd classic/generic mini H1 projectors w/custom shield.

Comment

Originally posted by es1civic@large View Post
                      yea it looks like the 2.0,i can tell by the longer cutoff step(or w/e it's called lol)also i believe the 2.0 versions don't have a hotspot right? the light is spread equally.
                      Mine does, but rather faint. Hence my comment about the hotspot missing (likely hiding on the high beam).

Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

Working...
                      X