Weird light spots above cut off line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird light spots above cut off line

I just installed my Morimoto Stage III Mini D2S kit from TRS. I am getting two light spots above each light. What did I do wrong here and how can I fix it?

That's normal. Mini H1s are much worse. Also, the aim is off. Need to either bring the driver's side up or drop down the passenger side. There's probably a mounting point around the solenoid where the light is leaking through. It's high enough to not dazzle anyone, so I wouldn't worry about it. Oh, and the driver's side hot spot could use some tweaking too. The Morimoto bulbs aren't perfect like OEM bulbs are.

Comment

Originally posted by kcg795 View Post
      That's normal. Mini H1s are much worse. Also, the aim is off. Need to either bring the driver's side up or drop down the passenger side. There's probably a mounting point around the solenoid where the light is leaking through. It's high enough to not dazzle anyone, so I wouldn't worry about it. Oh, and the driver's side hot spot could use some tweaking too. The Morimoto bulbs aren't perfect like OEM bulbs are.
      How do I tweak the hot spot? How can I tell when the aim is good for the cut off?

Comment

those spots are normal for the mini d2s
        2014 RAM 1500 Express RCSB 2WD- FX-R/CBI's/50W MORIMOTO
        1989 Chevy S-10 5 speed

Comment

Also feels like the lights are bouncing all over the place when I drive around. I can see the cut off line go up and down to every tiny bump in the road. Is this normal as well? My suspension is OEM

Comment

Yeah, just what you get for having a sharp cutoff. You'll get used to it.

Comment

I thought those were the squirrel finders lol.
              RX350BX (EU) | STI-R | XB35 Ballasts| HD Relay | 66240 CBI | JDM AStar LED Int. | AFSpec LED Ext.

Comment

No, the squirrel finders are much bigger and lower and rectangle shaped.

Comment

So I am in the process of opening back up my lights because I didn't seal them properly and some moisture got in. Is there anything I can do to get rid of those light spots? So they are not the squirrel finders right?

Comment

Try painting your cutoff shield. We had that issue with a set of MD2S and we painted the top of the cutoff shield flat black & it got rid of the spot.
                    2012 Volkswagen Golf R. 2016 Ford Fiesta ST

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by kcg795 View Post
                      That's normal. Mini H1s are much worse.
                      my h1s don't have any spots above the cutoff

99 Dodge Durango SLT SelecTrac (NV242) 4WD 5.2L Magnum V8 Build Thread
                      FX-R Retrofit - Picture Thread

2014 Dodge Charger R/T Awd

Comment

What exactly causes those spots (As I've never owned a Mini D2S before)?
                        RX350BX (EU) | STI-R | XB35 Ballasts| HD Relay | 66240 CBI | JDM AStar LED Int. | AFSpec LED Ext.

Comment

Originally posted by wireless View Post
                          Try painting your cutoff shield. We had that issue with a set of MD2S and we painted the top of the cutoff shield flat black & it got rid of the spot.
                          Is the cutoff shield in the projector housing? Do I have to open up the projector?

Comment

Yeah. It's pretty easy, you will just unbolt the front half (lens) from the back. Pretty simple once you get it.

Sean, the glare can because by a few things: reflection off of the top of the cutoff shield (might not be perfectly machined) or it might even be reflecting off of the top of the solenoid. I'm expecting it to be the top of the shield, since it's a yellow color.
                            2012 Volkswagen Golf R. 2016 Ford Fiesta ST

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Comment

Maybe it is the alignment making it appear that way but isnt there something wrong with the passenger side (right in the pic) hotspot? It looks like here is a dark spot in the middle ofnthe hotspot?

Comment

Working...
                              X