Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No color in my cutoff

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • No color in my cutoff

    What is going on with my cutoff? Why is there no color?


  • #2

    Comment


    • #3
      There is nothing "wrong" per say. Your cutoffs are exactly as they were designed.

      The color band along the cutoff appears when the shield and/or projector lens is manually adjusted and spaced.

      Did you do any of this prior to the retrofit?

      Comment


      • #4
        Yes, I replaced my frensel lens for the tsx clear lens and brand new cbis. I'm running my 4gen TL OEM projectors.

        I did no spacing or anything just swapped Len's and bulb.

        Comment


        • #5
          Usually clear lenses require spacing.

          2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder
          2017 Lexus CT200h F Sport

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Haloruler64 View Post
            Usually clear lenses require spacing.
            What do you recommend for oem TLs as far as spacing? Spacers, washers, I asked the question before I got them but no one responded.

            Comment


            • #7
              I've never modified TLs so I don't know. Play with it. Move it around by hand. See what it needs. That's how I figured out tuning on my MR2 Koito projectors.

              2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder
              2017 Lexus CT200h F Sport

              Comment


              • #8
                Thanks will do.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Haloruler64 View Post
                  I've never modified TLs so I don't know. Play with it. Move it around by hand. See what it needs. That's how I figured out tuning on my MR2 Koito projectors.
                  Does pushing the cutoff shield toward the bulb give more color? Or is it the opposite?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Haloruler64 View Post
                    I've never modified TLs so I don't know. Play with it. Move it around by hand. See what it needs. That's how I figured out tuning on my MR2 Koito projectors.
                    Does pushing the cutoff shield toward the bulb give more color? Or is it the opposite?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I know this thread is a few months old, but did you ever figure out how to do the spacing to get more color in your cutoff? I know that a few of the Accord guys who've done the 4G TL retrofit used a handful of #8 washers on the bottom mounting pins between the lens holder and the bowl. It takes a bit of trial and error as each projector is different and requires a different number of spacers to achieve the same effect.

                      This guy had to use 2 on each bottom pin on one projector, but 5 on the other to match the first one:

                      https://www.driveaccord.net/forums/1...r-mod-how.html

                      Not only does the spacing add more color to the cutoff, but it makes a noticeable difference in the 'sharpness' of the beam, too. Even with the clear lenses, the output looks blurry along the cutoff without the spacers.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by th23 View Post
                        I know this thread is a few months old, but did you ever figure out how to do the spacing to get more color in your cutoff? I know that a few of the Accord guys who've done the 4G TL retrofit used a handful of #8 washers on the bottom mounting pins between the lens holder and the bowl. It takes a bit of trial and error as each projector is different and requires a different number of spacers to achieve the same effect.

                        This guy had to use 2 on each bottom pin on one projector, but 5 on the other to match the first one:

                        https://www.driveaccord.net/forums/1...r-mod-how.html

                        Not only does the spacing add more color to the cutoff, but it makes a noticeable difference in the 'sharpness' of the beam, too. Even with the clear lenses, the output looks blurry along the cutoff without the spacers.
                        Thanks for the help man....but I picked up a pair of 4g TLrs. From what I was reading.....the OEM 4gs are not that great of a performer.....and I wanted bi-xenon. Haven't installed them yet still waiting to pick up the high beam splitters.

                        But that looks amazing......I couldn't find any info or help on modding these. If I would have seen this info ahead of time I would have went this route.
                        Last edited by 06BlkMax; April 11th, 2019, 08:07 PM.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          The focal point of the TSX lens could be very different from the TL you're replacing. Outer lens diameter is only a mechanical requirement for fitment, but doesn't guarantee that the focal length will line up with the bowl+bulb+shield's collective focal point.

                          The bowl and bulb alignment "points" rays from the left side to that black rectangle. The lens' focal point must be correct relative to that rectangle. A different lens may need to be mounted at a different location relative to the original lens to retain this alignment.

                          If you're lucky, the new lens needs to be placed further away, in which adding spacer would help. But if the new lens needs to be placed closer, you'd have to chop off the lens holder frame or fabricate a different lens holder.

                          As for the cutoff colorband; the location of the shield relative to that blue square determines the intensity.
                          Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

                          3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by satrya View Post
                            The focal point of the TSX lens could be very different from the TL you're replacing. Outer lens diameter is only a mechanical requirement for fitment, but doesn't guarantee that the focal length will line up with the bowl+bulb+shield's collective focal point.

                            The bowl and bulb alignment "points" rays from the left side to that black rectangle. The lens' focal point must be correct relative to that rectangle. A different lens may need to be mounted at a different location relative to the original lens to retain this alignment.

                            If you're lucky, the new lens needs to be placed further away, in which adding spacer would help. But if the new lens needs to be placed closer, you'd have to chop off the lens holder frame or fabricate a different lens holder.

                            As for the cutoff colorband; the location of the shield relative to that blue square determines the intensity.
                            This makes so much sense because I couldn't figure out why did the output change that drastically. I had tons more of color at the cutoff with the frensel lens. The focal point plays a huge factor in this. According to TRS everything is same with the lens as far as measurements. As I stated before.....I just went on and picked up a pair of TL-Rs from TRS. I haven't ordered the splitters yet for the HBs...... weather is great now so I will be installing them really soon.






                            ​​​​​​

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by 06BlkMax View Post

                              Does pushing the cutoff shield toward the bulb give more color? Or is it the opposite?
                              No no, don't push anything against anything leave the shield alone, if you do that the beam pattern will look weird and start to bow on the edges maybe even through the whole length, bad idea.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X