Morimoto D2S 4.0 VS G5-R Projector Output Shot Comparison

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Morimoto D2S 4.0 VS G5-R Projector Output Shot Comparison

After driving many hours at night with the Morimoto D2S 4.0 projectors in all conditions (highway, twisty back roads, low beams, high beams), I grew unhappy with the output. I noticed 3 things that just made driving at night unfun:
    • A very apparent lack of hot spot down the road, at the cutoff. Lots of foreground light
    • High beam is very high (in the trees) basically useless
    • Cutoff step is way too big/high, very annoying
    Now don't get me wrong, the other aspects of the projector are amazing:
    • Wonderful sharp, straight, colorful cutoff
    • Very even output (except for the lack of defined hotspot)
    • Great usable width
    And of course, things like ease of installation, build quality, etc are strengths for this projector.

But after my trip, it just left me wishing there was a better projector, with all of the strengths of the 4.0, but without the 3 cons I mentioned above.

Browsing HIDplanet, I found in a random thread (I don't remember where it was now) the first mention I'd seen of some G5-R projectors. From the initial pictures I saw, they looked promising.

I found this video comparing the two projectors:

And I was sold instantly.

These are the G5-R projectors I bought (from Lightwerkz):

https://www.lightwerkz.net/index.php...tors-1499.html

These are the Morimoto D2S 4.0 projectors I had before:

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/co...rojectors.html

So, all legit parts. And the results and outputs I experienced are typical to what I've seen from others and in person. My projectors are totally fine.

Turns out, both projectors are basically identical (as you can see from the G5-R description on Lightwerkz). Same mounting points, same mounting shaft, even the locking hardware and bulb mounting is interchangeable between the two projectors. Both projectors have the clips for the same shrouds. Both take the same exact bixenon pigtail wire plug. They are like literally the same projector, only the G5-R is cheaper, and has a different shield. But that, or something, makes all the difference.

Onto the pics (click for full size) All pics done with identically matching ballasts (Denso) and bulbs (CBI)

G5-R on the top, Morimoto on the bottom:

G5-R Top, 4.0 Bottom by Tobias Sing, on Flickr

Reduced exposure:

G5-R Top, 4.0 Bottom by Tobias Sing, on Flickr

You can see how the Morimoto projector has a dark spot where the brightest light should be... but the G5-R has the proper hot spot. Also, the step is much smaller on the G5-R.

Flip the projectors around, so that the Morimoto is on the top and the G5-R is on the bottom, and the difference is even more obvious:

4.0 Top, G5-R Bottom by Tobias Sing, on Flickr

Reduced exposure:

Wow.

Taking a more full look at the two projector beams and width

Morimoto:

Morimoto D2S 4.0 Beam by Tobias Sing, on Flickr

Morimoto D2S 4.0 Width by Tobias Sing, on Flickr

G5-R:

G5-R Beam by Tobias Sing, on Flickr

G5-R Width by Tobias Sing, on Flickr

Looking at both beams, the Morimoto seems to be more "zoomed out" , while the G5-R is more "zoomed in". So the Morimoto has a little more volume of light to the sides, and unfortunately, the foreground as well, sacrificing the light at the step/center. The G5-R focuses the light more into the center along the cutoff, improving distance vision, reducing foreground like, but at the expense of light to the sides. This is not to say that the G5-R has less width, just that the light isn't spread as evenly to the sides as on the Morimoto.

Comparing the width of both projectors together, you can see that they do both extend out the same distance (Morimoto is slanted \, G5-R is slanted / ) :

Width Comparison by Tobias Sing, on Flickr

So you can see that the ends of the width looks the same on both projectors when you ignore the center hot spot. It's just that the center hot spot is so much brighter on the G5-R, it makes the sides of the beam look dimmer in comparison, but they are not dimmer.

Now, considering the high beams of both projectors.

Morimoto on the left, G5-R on the right:

4.0 Left, G5-R Right, High Beam by Tobias Sing, on Flickr

Lower exposure:

It's interesting, because both high beams look identical. So is the entire difference in output due to only the shield? Possibly.

If we switch to the low beam, we can flip back and forth between the high/low pics to see how the shield drops between the two projectors.

Low beams, Morimoto left, G5-R right:

4.0 Left, G5-R Right, Low Beam by Tobias Sing, on Flickr

Lower exposure

4.0 Left, G5-R Right, Low Beam by Tobias Sing, on Flickr

But the low beams do look entirely different. It's weird. But if you compare the shield drop, you can see that the Morimoto drops a little lower into the beam than the G5-R does. There is a way to mod the Morimoto to adjust the shield to try and expose more of the hot spot, but then that will just increase the foreground too, and you have to drill out the holes and stuff, and the chances of screwing up the projector entirely are high.

Finally, I did a shot of both projectors on the ground a little bit, to show more the difference in the step (morimoto left, g5-r right):

4.0 Left, G5-R Right, Step Comparison by Tobias Sing, on Flickr

obviously, when this is properly aimed and projecting down the road, the step difference becomes huge. The G5-R step is much smaller and more subtle, even at far distances. The Morimoto is large and distracting a lot of times, though some people like it. It's all about personal preference.

So, I found the projector I'm looking for. TBH, the G5-R killed the Morimoto projector in my humble opinion, for my personal needs and preferences.

I wanted to share these results, because I know others had similar problems and complaints with the 4.0 projectors, and perhaps the G5-R is a nice solution, and requires zero work if you replace the 4.0 with the G5-R.

So, the advantages of the G5-R over the Morimoto D2S 4.0 are (in my opinion):
    • Strong, centralized hotspot, better distance vision
    • Less foreground light
    • Lower high beam, it's not in the trees
    • Smaller step (good for lowered cars where the aim shoots out farther)
    • Cheaper
    And the things that the Morimoto does better than the G5-R (IMO):
    • The curved shield does yield slightly more color, and a more even cutoff (barely noticeable though)
    • More relative even brightness along the cutoff (so the entire width appears more evenly bright, whereas the G5-R seem more narrow because they are so bright in the middle)
    • Slightly better mounting hardware
    ~~~

BONUS!

I still have my old LS430s lying around, so I blew the cobwebs out of one of them, and fired it up with one of the G5-Rs.

The difference was astonishing.

G5-R top, LS430 bottom

G5-R Top, LS430 Bottom by Tobias Sing, on Flickr

G5-R Top, LS430 Bottom by Tobias Sing, on Flickr

Reversed, LS430 top, G5-R bottom:

LS430 Top, G5-R Bottom by Tobias Sing, on Flickr

LS430 Top, G5-R Bottom by Tobias Sing, on Flickr

Those are perfectly good LS430s. Yes, they have great width, and very smooth/even output, but they don't even have a high beam! And the color that comes out of them is yellower, even with a clear lens. I do miss driving with the LS430s, since they were SO clean and even and had the perfect output, but seeing this, I'm a little less sad to not use them. Yes, the G5-R are definitely not as wide, but they are wide enough.

Honestly, the LS430s were just a toy, a gimmick. All of that extra width just wasn't practical or necessary or helpful in any way. Maybe it gave some "comfort" when driving, just to be able to see wider, but the point is to see what is in front of your vehicle more than what you're going to drive past. I have auxillary LED lights for lighting more to the sides if needed, so the G5-R are perfect for what I was looking for. And just in time for the darker winter driving season! I'm happy lol

long thread is long, and it's 3am, I should submit this
    Last edited by gold94corolla; March 8th, 2018, 04:02 PM. Reason: Updated Links

So, correct me if Iím wrong, but isnít the G5-R closely related to the D2S 3.0 projector? Or was that a different one?

If it is, we now have an almost identical setup. Mine is 3.0s, panamera shrouds, and 9011 halogens.

Comment

Please, look to NHK products. They are selling many types of this projector

https://gzxgy.en.alibaba.com/product...6da6d44dHxZhTG

This is example of VIP type of projector (VIP has little bit bigger bowl than basic variant of G5 projector). They also selling spot lens, some projectors have also small dip, to prevent glaring of incoming traffic ....

Comment

Originally posted by marcos View Post
        Please, look to NHK products. They are selling many types of this projector

https://gzxgy.en.alibaba.com/product...6da6d44dHxZhTG

This is example of VIP type of projector (VIP has little bit bigger bowl than basic variant of G5 projector). They also selling spot lens, some projectors have also small dip, to prevent glaring of incoming traffic ....

Iím confused as to the purpose of your post.

Comment

Just simply input, that this projector exist in many variants. Some part of my customer example prefer spot lens, rest prefer clear lens etc.

Comment

Sweet review! It's good to see some confirmation of Caesar's reviews (who I probably trust the most, to date). Makes me want to sell my MD2S 4.0's and swap. I've heard a few people say the G5-R bows down at the edges. Thoughts?

Comment

Great writeup! I've been debating trying these just for fun.

Originally posted by Zac. View Post
              So, correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t the G5-R closely related to the D2S 3.0 projector? Or was that a different one?

If it is, we now have an almost identical setup. Mine is 3.0s, panamera shrouds, and 9011 halogens.
              The Q5 is the 3.0 twin, G5 is the 4.0 twin.
              2006 Chevy Cobalt - SRX Bi-xenon/Denso 35w
              2011 GMC Terrain V6 - 4TL-R retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by FSanti87 View Post
                Great writeup! I've been debating trying these just for fun.

The Q5 is the 3.0 twin, G5 is the 4.0 twin.
                Ah thanks. I remembered it was the name of an Audi now. Lol

Comment

yeah I was getting the Q5 and G5 mixed up too (such similar names lol). The Q5 is the old 3.0 variant, and G5 (in this post) is the 4.0 variant.

The G5 used in this post is the latest version of the G5, as previous models didn't have the threaded shaft for mounting (as you can see in the post from marcos above... those are NOT the projectors in this post, those are an older version.)

My results are precisely the same as Lightwerkz Global Inc. and others.

16cx-5 I see what you mean about the bowing. Here's a (bad) road shot:

Final Aim by Tobias Sing, on Flickr

The G5-R projectors themselves have no bowing, and the cutoff is perfectly straight/flat from one end to the other, just like on the Morimoto. However, when you consider the beam when seen on the wall (especially in high beam mode) you can see how on both projectors, the width/tail ends of the sides of the brightest hotspot DO bow down on both projectors:

so, when projected onto the road, this can cause an appearance of a bowing effect, but there is no bowing.

It's just that the Morimoto shield stops a lot lower on the output than on the G5-R.

If you look at this pic, you can see how the output on the G5-R (bottom) has more of the bowing affect, but really, both projectors have it.

But in reality, so far, I haven't noticed any bowing affect when driving. It's a nice clean wide flat cutoff, and I love it

Comment

Nice to see ya messing with projectors again Goldie. I have no idea why TRS decided to make the step so huge. When I got the 4.0 in my hands before anyone else pre-production, I knew the first thing I was going to do for my personal set was take that cliff down a notch.
                    *CLICK BELOW ON WHAT YOU WANT TO SEE*

2014 Nissan Sentra Quads w/ XB Fogs

DSC_9349 by Sam Colt, on Flickr

Comment

gold94corolla
                      Thanks for sharing those comparisons and thoughts.

It seems to me that if I allow fractions of milimeter variation in bulb depth (say, due to variations in the casting mold of the bowl around where the bulb base sits), plus some modifications to where the shield cutoff is placed over that high beam pattern on the wall, the difference between your copies of D2S 4.0 and G5R would be completely explained, no? You mentioned that it seems that the 4.0's beam appear a bit more "spread out" around the center; this is similar to how LED flashlights can change its beam pattern by turning a thread so that the distance between the LED emitters and the reflector array changes ever so slightly.

Originally posted by gold94corolla View Post
                      All of that extra width just wasn't practical or necessary or helpful in any way. Maybe it gave some "comfort" when driving, just to be able to see wider, but the point is to see what is in front of your vehicle more than what you're going to drive past.
                      Not that I disagree, but that sounds like Markus talking

Originally posted by gold94corolla View Post
                      However, when you consider the beam when seen on the wall (especially in high beam mode) you can see how on both projectors, the width/tail ends of the sides of the brightest hotspot DO bow down on both projectors:
                      I thought that's a desirable pattern, as most won't drive on freeways with infinite number of lanes to the left and right; at some point, a good amount should be provided to the shoulder where pedestrians or others might be present.
                      Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

I miss a good hot spot on the Celica compared to the G5R with the dip step in the Mazda retro.
                        2000 Celica GTS 'slowest gts evar'
                        1998 Mazda 626 FS-DE/CD4E 'mom-mobile'

Comment

Good review. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

gold94corolla actually, I meant bowing more like what Caesar posted a few months back:

Also, I creeped on your Flickr and saw you were up at the Blue Ridge Parkway recently(?). We're planning to head up to Boone, NC on Friday. We try to head out there about once/yr around this time. If you're ever around again, give me a shout.

Comment

16cx-5 oh interesting, I didn't see that pic before. I wonder if it's an older shot from a previous G5-R version? Mine don't have that kind of bowing at all, hmmm.

Oh and yes, I drive back home from TRS's open hose via the Blue Ridge Parkway every year.

Originally posted by HK45 View Post
                              Nice to see ya messing with projectors again Goldie. I have no idea why TRS decided to make the step so huge. When I got the 4.0 in my hands before anyone else pre-production, I knew the first thing I was going to do for my personal set was take that cliff down a notch.
                              Yeah I know everyone complained about the huge step when the 4.0 came out. But that didn't stop me, and I was just in denial about how bothersome it really is (since I bought/installed them lol). But it just got annoying. But now it's not even necessary, with the G5-R.

Originally posted by satrya View Post
                              gold94corolla Thanks for sharing those comparisons and thoughts. It seems to me that if I allow fractions of milimeter variation in bulb depth (say, due to variations in the casting mold of the bowl around where the bulb base sits), plus some modifications to where the shield cutoff is placed over that high beam pattern on the wall, the difference between your copies of D2S 4.0 and G5R would be completely explained, no? You mentioned that it seems that the 4.0's beam appear a bit more "spread out" around the center; this is similar to how LED flashlights can change its beam pattern by turning a thread so that the distance between the LED emitters and the reflector array changes ever so slightly. Not that I disagree, but that sounds like Markus talking I thought that's a desirable pattern, as most won't drive on freeways with infinite number of lanes to the left and right; at some point, a good amount should be provided to the shoulder where pedestrians or others might be present.
                              TBH, looking at the high beams... the only real difference can be explained in the shields IMO. For whatever reason, when the shields drop, they rob a bit of light from the low beam hot spot. Just that the morimoto robs a lot more. If you sit out there and move the shield by hand, you can see the dark spot move away with the shield.

But after driving with them this morning officially, I love them. The color is even so nice, such a crisp white color, and the cutoff is lit strong. And having the width kinda "fall off" is nice in a way, since it helps not blind everyone coming the other way if they are under the cutoff.

Comment

Working...
                              X