No announcement yet.

Haloruler64's 2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder beater build

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes, that's very similar and would probably work but maybe not with your electric impact, you could try it though if you don't want to take it to a shop, and you'd have a cup to press the bearing out into in the future as well.
    2000 Celica GTS 'slowest gts evar'
    1998 Mazda 626 FS-DE/CD4E 'mom-mobile'

Comment

• Yeah I think HF one would strip out if hit too hard.

I'm definitely having a shop do it. Local performance shop recommended I go to a specific place that should do it for $25.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder
      2017 Lexus CT200h F Sport

Comment

• $25 to press out and press in some new bearings is reasonable.

Comment

• Ah I forgot to update. I went to a shop and they wanted $70 for one side. I said no. Toyota said they won't do it at all. Soooo I'm just gonna try again with the DIY. Either get some scraps of pipe and cut it to size or buy the $73 bearing press set and do it properly.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder

Comment

• Got the press set, pressed out the bearing successfully at my friend's place and pressed the new one in. Felt good! End of the day win after a few hours of nonstop losses. Inner race still stuck on the hub, tried to rent a claw puller but that didn't work. Kept popping off. Rented a bearing splitter but we couldn't get it situated on his press, couldn't get it off the bars high enough to make room for the hub to drop. So I took my W, went home and I'll just cut the race off like I planned to earlier. Also pressed the bushing out of the trailing arm, and noticed it was pretty bent. What isn't bent on my car?? So we straightened it with a vise and I'll likely need a new one sometime. For now it's getting poly bushings from SuperPro and going back together this weekend hopefully. Gotta return all the rented tools, bust out the Dremel and hacksaw, and get that all assembled.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder

Comment

• Cut the race off the hub, Dremel went through it very easily. Cut most of the way and tapped it off. Cleaned up the hub and proceeded to use that press kit to press it in. Stupidly used the wrong plate on the knuckle side and ended up pressing the inner race of the new bearing 1/2" out. Pressed it back together flush and it looks fine, seal lines up and all, and it spins exactly the way it did before. Really hoping I didn't damage anything. Now getting a small hand saw to saw out the bushing sleeve from the knuckle to install SuperPro bushings and get it all back together. Maybe this will happen today.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder

Comment

• The knuckle-side trailing arm bushing sleeve has been such a pain. None of my saws touched it. Jigsaw, hacksaw, small hand saw... I dunno why but the metal wouldn't cut even with a proper metal blade. Out came the air hammer, and it was out.

SuperPro bushings installed with dev's bushing tool.

Car is back together now! New axle nut, all bushings torqued under the car's own weight. Other side got a brand new axle nut as well, properly torqued down and now impacted down like it was before. Went together smooothly.

It's finally down on its own wheels. Small peek at my ugly but spacious garage. Walls are dark and have plenty of nooks and crannies for spiders, lighting is absolutely awful... but it's so big. I can leave my car disassembled for as long as I need now, and still garage my daily. And it has a cutout in the back with a workbench. The surface is trashed, just falls apart, but with a cutting mat of some sort it'll be perfect. I'm super happy with it! Just need to throw up my LED ceiling lights.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder

Comment

•  

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder

Comment

• A memoir by R.Kelly.
                    2000 Celica GTS 'slowest gts evar'
                    1998 Mazda 626 FS-DE/CD4E 'mom-mobile'

Comment

• Got to do my first autocross in a year, literally. May 4th autocross, last one I went to was May 5th in the Lexus. I had a great time!

The Fortune Auto 500 coilovers, ignoring my major grievances with the company (they still haven't replied to any emails), are fantastic. They're relatively soft and comfortable on the freeway. 5k/7k spring rates might be a bit high for a daily, but for a sports car on the street they're great for just driving around town and on the freeway. And despite their softness, they stiffen up great when pushing the car. I switched the sway bars back to stock during the coilover install as I wanted to see how they perform. And I don't think the sway bars are necessary at all.

When going into corners, the car rolls very little and feels calm and composed. The spring rate balance front to back is excellent, and the knobs on top of the shocks make quite a big difference. On BC Racing coilovers each click did very little. I spent half the day adjusting tire pressure and damping to get the car to perform right. I actually ended up with 3 clicks from soft on the front and 7 from soft on the rear. Every click definitely adjusted the way the car balances through turns. With my setup, I have mild oversteer that can be harsh if you push it hard, but it allows me to rotate the car mid corner which is really useful. Front washes out easy at speed so getting the rear to rotate is useful. Still running the old (not too old, no cracks) BFG Sport Comp2 320tw tires and I've long passed the limitations of the tires, I need better ones.

tl;dr the car feels nimble, precise, and very well balanced. Rotates when it needs to, pivots great with throttle modulation, but grips really well. The coilovers are fantastic.

My best time of the day was 44.6, but my dash cam didn't catch it. Got a video of 45.2 though. That last slalom was nearly straight but it was really easy to unsettle the car at WOT, so a lot of people spun or washed out there. I ended up hitting a finish cone once. It's a very challenging course, but very fun. Definitely need better tires next time I go! And need to fix a bumper tab as I cracked it.. again.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder

Comment

• https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...E71R&tab=Sizes
                        RE-71R, do it

Comment

Working...
                        X