No announcement yet.

Haloruler64's 2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder beater build

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes and no. It is a rental, cant go too nuts, but landlord is very lenient.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder
    2017 Lexus CT200h F Sport

Comment

• Moar lighting.
      2000 Celica GTS 'slowest gts evar'
      1998 Mazda 626 FS-DE/CD4E 'mom-mobile'

Comment

• Already have five overhead LED lights ready to go up.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder

Comment

• Put some on the sides angled downward to light the floor and and under car when you're working as well as the sides of the car.

Comment

• you can never have enough lights

i recommend these
            https://www.homedepot.com/p/Lithonia...0CRI/300263606
            The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time

Comment

• Originally posted by Bitter View Post
              Put some on the sides angled downward to light the floor and and under car when you're working as well as the sides of the car.
              That would be nice, but expensive to have that many lights.

Originally posted by soundman98 View Post
              you can never have enough lights

i recommend these
              https://www.homedepot.com/p/Lithonia...0CRI/300263606
              Thanks! I have something similar, probably not as good as they were cheaper at Costco.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder

Comment

• I guess that wasn't the last of stuff falling off my car. I was parking in SF and when I pull the handbrake I hear a loud SNAP and the handle goes up higher than usual. I get out to look if I'm centered between two driveways and the car is rolling! Figured I finally snapped my factory cable, as one had been replaced shortly after buying the car.

I finally got the rear driver's side wheel off and it's as simple as the U clip holding the cable to the bracket on the caliper was gone, and the cable was flopping around. It was still attached to the parking brake mechanism though, so I just put a brand new OEM clip in (already had one) and now the handbrake works again.

However, as I was putting the wheel on, I noticed that it has a lot of play. Holding it both at 12/6 and 3/9 I can wiggle it significantly. Same clunking wiggle I've seen in videos related to bearing failure. I guess this is a result of me impacting the axle nut on when doing the trans swap years back? Probably. Other side seems fine though. I might loosen it, replace the nut, and torque it down to spec anyway.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder

Comment

• Interesting, the parking brake cable snapped on my brother's MR2 also. I don't think he ever bothered fixing it, just leaves it in gear lol

Comment

• MR2 Spyders have parking brake issues. I bought my car with a snapped cable, and the second original one is stretched. I have a replacement but too lazy to drop the fuel tank.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder

Comment

• Yup, the wheel bearing is toast. Retightened the axle nut and this is the result. Still silent though! Cheeky Lexus with a broken off license plate mount in the back, RIP F Sport grill.

Threw on a cheapo camber gauge dead center on the rotor, got the rotation level using the sight glass, and spun the knob on the back until it showed 0. This is so I can nail the alignment, at least close enough until the next one. I painted the knob so it can't be messed up, and painted the knuckle bolts just in case. Hopefully getting an alignment after FA gets their shit together and sends out those new lower mounts.

Learned that you can't just remove the rear calipers when your car is slammed. Lifting the caliper off the pads causes the handbrake bracket to hit the wheel well. Removing the bracket fixes this.

All off! That Honda ball joint separator took is amazingly handy. The DeWalt mid-range impact has plenty of grunt to remove the 30mm axle nut, I love that thing.

Rear suspension arm test. Rear and center arms are nice and taut, bushings seem fine. Trailing arm is a wet noodle. Should really replace that soon. Shame Toyota doesn't sell the bushings separately, I try to use OEM parts. Suggestions for bushings?

Have a bonus doggie. Little dude's getting old but he's still spunky for a 14 year old.

Last edited by Haloruler64; April 5th, 2019, 06:05 AM.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder

Comment

• Pressing the bearing out at a friend's house failed. BGB says there is a special SST needed, but the illustration just shows a bearing '"cup" or "sleeve" or whatever you want to call it. We didn't have one, so getting the knuckle to sit flat and secure was impossible. Lack of proper tools is what usually gets ya. We did press the hub out, but it took the inner race lip with it so that has to be pressed off (probably with a bearing splitter?).

So I'm taking it to a shop Monday. The proper bearing sleeve kit is around $76 and a shop will likely charge significantly less for one knuckle. It would be nice to have, but I don't have a press! https://amzn.to/2WTAWg6

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder

Comment

• You can cut through the bearing race and crack it with a chisel on the slit and it'll fall right off, you can also heat it in several spots red hot with a torch and walk it off with a chisel, a jawed puller can pull it off if it'll get between the hub and race, and yes a bearing splitter and press takes it off as well.

Comment

• Yeah I was planning to either cut it or rent a free bearing splitter for the job. I tried a jaw puller, jaws are too fat to fit.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder

Comment

• I have no idea where I was replying but the HF tool might be similar to the OTC one, haven't seen the HF one yet.

Comment

• https://www.harborfreight.com/front-...ers-63728.html

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder

Comment

Working...
                                X