Spring prep: Unik 15 (boat)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by HK45 View Post
    So is this ready to hit the water come Spring? And did you get a trailer?
    Nope, it needs some serious cleaning underneath, as the entire bottom is covered by green sea stuff, algae and small sea sponges. I'm hoping that "just" soaking it in boat detergent and blasting it with the power washer will suffice to get it off, maybe a hand wash with some growth inhibitor as well. Apart from that, I should polish it again and wax it, but I already know I won't have the time, so I'll just launch it the way it is (after washing).

And yes, I bought a brand-new trailer for NOK9300 (~US$1100). I found a few used ones, but people seem to be thinking their trailers are made of pure gold...the worst example was a guy who was selling his 1992 boat trailed with broken rear light, one flat tire and electrical issues and was asking NOK 10,000 for it. That's when I said "eff it" and just got a new one with warranty...

OEM halogen reflector headlights | Osram Rallye H7 65W low beams | Philips Vision H1 55W high beams | Pre-facelift orange indicators

Retrofits in progress: MDX LED retrofit | RX350/EvoX-R quad w/'moto HD relay, Mitsubishi gen4 ballasts and selectable quad wiring (needs lots of fixing)

My retrofits

Comment

• holy cow. that's incredible. never thought used trailers would be that crazy...
      The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time

Comment

• I thought you dry docked it? Why is there so much growth?

I'm assuming it's the time/skill put into welding is the reason why trailers hold their value.
        *CLICK BELOW ON WHAT YOU WANT TO SEE*

2014 Nissan Sentra Quads w/ XB Fogs

DSC_9349 by Sam Colt, on Flickr

Comment

• Update! Woot!

Originally posted by HK45 View Post
          I thought you dry docked it? Why is there so much growth? I'm assuming it's the time/skill put into welding is the reason why trailers hold their value.
          There is so much growth on it because the floating pier it's tied to is over a sandy bottom with lots of seaweed, and there are three small rivers emptying themselves into the basin almost at the same place, bringing lots of dirt and fertilizer from surrounding farm areas into the sea.

Other than that, the boat hasn't moved this year at all because house sale/move/baby/lots of other stuff going on.

I'll also get the carport cleaned so that I can roll the boat w/trailer in completely. Then there's the following list of issues to handle:

- I have discovered another leak in the bottom that needs fixing. While I'm at it, I'll re-fix the one I fixed last year, as I don't think that's holding up too well either. After that, the bottom will need repainting as well.

- The middle seat still needs replacing, but at least now I have the materials I need to make a new one; just have to actually do it. It's not hard nor does it take long, but finding the time between everything else is still a challenge. I'll get it done sometime this winter, I hope.

- The electrical wiring needs to be cleaned up a bit and secured better.

- The drain hose from the interior of the boat which runs through the fuel tank compartment and transom and out into the sea has a valve with a rusted-to-bits handle. The valve is also slightly stuck, so if I turn the handle it'll break. I did buy a replacement valve that was too small, exchanged it for a larger one that will fit, but the threads are so corroded that I can't get them loose, so now I'm thinking of just undoing the screw that holds the handle and replace the handle. The valve needs to be cloesd while at sea, otherwise lots and lots of water comes into the boat when decelerating, which in turn gets everybody wet feet and bad-tempered. It also means we can't put anything on the floor as it would be soaked. Shouldn't be too hard to fix...

- The wooden plate on the outside of the transom has separated and needs replacing. I think I may have a piece of marine grade plywood that I can use to replace it, but I have a feeling it was thrown away the last time when we emptied out all useless junk from the old house.

More updates - and pictures - when something actually happens.

OEM halogen reflector headlights | Osram Rallye H7 65W low beams | Philips Vision H1 55W high beams | Pre-facelift orange indicators

Retrofits in progress: MDX LED retrofit | RX350/EvoX-R quad w/'moto HD relay, Mitsubishi gen4 ballasts and selectable quad wiring (needs lots of fixing)

My retrofits

Comment

• And then, you can install a pair of MDX on the boat...

upside down
            Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

• Originally posted by satrya View Post
              And then, you can install a pair of MDX on the boat... upside down
              You really want to see those MDX headlights on the boat, don't you?

My retrofits

Comment

• Sounds like once you get all unpacked and settled in you've got a winter project that will keep you busy
                *CLICK BELOW ON WHAT YOU WANT TO SEE*

2014 Nissan Sentra Quads w/ XB Fogs

DSC_9349 by Sam Colt, on Flickr

Comment

• Originally posted by csjoh View Post
                  You really want to see those MDX headlights on the boat, don't you?
                  Why not? What's the downside?

I wonder if it needs to be installed upside down or it needs a very aggressive foreground limiter for boat use. I imagine it doesn't make sense to light up the water surface foreground; wave ripples would cause enough glare back.
                  Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

• UPDATE!

2016:
                    Boat never got in the water.

2017:
                    Got the boat launched, outboard didn't work. Pulled it up, took it to an outboard workshop, they fixed it. Got the boat back in the water, did a quick test run, everything worked fine. Worked fine all season. Pulled it up in late October and left all cables connected just to make sure I didn't mess up anything. Disconnected the battery, though.

2018:
                    April: Washed the boat, charged the battery, launched the boat. Did a quick test run, everything worked fine. The day after some friends wanted to borrow it; no worries, it's working fine. I thought. After on and a half hours and six fuses they were finally underway. One hour later I get a rather distressed phone call; the outboard is dead, no signs of life at all. To add a little extra stress to the situation, they are adrift in the middle of a ferry lane, and drifting towards the ferry docks... I start calling everyone I know who might have a boat on the water, and eventually we get hold of someone with a working boat on a trailer. They set off to come launch it then head out to save them. After about 15 minutes I get another call from the shipwrecked; they are being towed back by someone who came by. Another hour and a half pass before they arrive. Pulled the boat out of the water and put it back in the garage. Decided to buy a new, bigger boat.

May 9th: Bought new, bigger boat. "New" as in "new to me". It's a 1980 Omre 18-ft semi-open boat with a windscreen and a storage room in the bow. The soft top is broken and needs replacing. It had a 1996 Johnson 70HP on the back, which idled relatively fine, but didn't want to go forward or in reverse. I don't know anything about outboards, so I took it to the outboard workshop where the old boat had been, and asked if they could look at it. 70 days later they had cleaned one carburettor and the outboard still ran like crap, so I watched hours and hours of "how to fix your outboard" videos and gave it a go myself. I got it to run well for a bit, then it stopped completely and doesn't want to start anymore. The problem is likely the float in the bottom carb (again), but I figured that even if I get the parts and do the work, I'm still stuck with an outboard I don't trust.

July: Fixed the outboard on the old boat (the electrics were hooked up the wrong way - + from the battery to the engine block (should've been ground), and ground to the started solenoid. No wonder it didn't work. Even stranger - it worked last year with this setup) then sold it.

July 26th: Bought brand new Suzuki 50HP outboard.
                    July 29th: Launch! Yay!

August 26th: Grounding in a local river. Broke off about half of the skeg on the gear housing, bent the rest as well as all three prop blades.

September 2nd: Boat delivered at dealership's workshop for insurance repair.

September 28th: Boat back from workshop.

October 1st: Boat launched again (4th or 5th time this year). After having forgotten the keys to the boat, gone back to get them, fueled up, it was finally time to launch at 7:17pm, i.e. about 15 minutes before the sun officially set. No problem, there was no wind and a flat sea, so everything was fine for a quick trip at about 20 knots without having to visit neither the dentist nor chiropractor afterwards.

Drove slowly fro the docks and while I noticed slightly more of a racket from the outboard than before, I didn't think any of it. Outside the molo I opened the throttle a bit more, only to come to a surprising halt about 3km from land. The outboard just didn't want to start or do anything useful.

I got out my paddle oar, and at that moment the wind built up, so we just drifted further and further from land. I quickly realized that this was going nowhere fast, so I started flashing SOS with the lanterns about 10 times. No response. I realized that this was not good, so I called the Police. They transferred me to the local Police office, where there was noone. After 8 minutes the call was automatically terminated, so I called 112 instead. The very nice lady I spoke to there put me through to the main rescue center, which contacted the Coast Guard. The CG called me after about 5 minutes, saying they'd launched a "light boat" and should arrive in about 15 minutes.

25 minutes later a boat was approaching, so I flashed SOS again, got a single flash back and could finally lower my shoulders. The CG towed us back to the dock where we thanked them profusely, got the boat back on the trailer and back home.

Boating season of 2018 has been absolutely shit, and is now officially over. Hoping for a better 2019!

Over winter, I'll get a new soft top made, I'll install running lights, I'll install hydraulic steering and some other bits and bobs. AFTER the outboard has been fixed.

My retrofits

Comment

• Oh jeez man that's a nightmare!

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder
                      2017 Lexus CT200h F Sport

Comment

• A boat owner only has 2 happy days in their life....
                        2000 Celica GTS 'slowest gts evar'
                        1998 Mazda 626 FS-DE/CD4E 'mom-mobile'

Comment

• my brothers boat has been taunting him in his driveway. they just had a kid, so it's only been out twice now. yesterday, we all went out on it despite the cold-ish temps and had a blast.
                          The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time

Comment

• Originally posted by Haloruler64 View Post
                            Oh jeez man that's a nightmare!
                            Yeah, it was kinda intense out there for a while. We were on the water for about an hour and a half, 3 minutes of that time was spent with the engine running.

If nothing else, it's a good story for the years to come.

My retrofits

Comment

• Originally posted by soundman98 View Post
                              my brothers boat has been taunting him in his driveway. they just had a kid, so it's only been out twice now. yesterday, we all went out on it despite the cold-ish temps and had a blast.
                              I hate you.

My retrofits

Comment

• Originally posted by Bitter View Post
                                A boat owner only has 2 happy days in their life....
                                There are some good days to be had inbetween, but yeah, right now I absolutely concur.

My retrofits

Comment

Working...
                                X