• Mitsubishi Galant MDX LED retrofit build log

So it begins.

I'll just leave these here.

Initial thoughts and observations:

- there seems to be enough depth to accommodate the LED array
    - the housing is wide and tall enough
    - the top and bottom of the center mounting piece must be trimmed
    - the cooling fins for the low beams must be trimmed 10-15mm at the rear
    - I should be able to use three of the original adjusters, two from the high beam and one from the low beam, which will give me both horizontal and vertical adjustment possibilities
    - it will be an extremely, horribly, exceedingly tight squeeze to get in, and I'm not sure I'll even get the headlight lens back on, not to mention the shroud

OEM halogen reflector headlights | Osram Rallye H7 65W low beams | Philips Vision H1 55W high beams | Pre-facelift orange indicators

Retrofits in progress: MDX LED retrofit | RX350/EvoX-R quad w/'moto HD relay, Mitsubishi gen4 ballasts and selectable quad wiring (needs lots of fixing)

My retrofits

How about mounting them directly on the front clip of your car, and then worry about water resistance afterwards?

Meaning you can build a housing after the fact, once the array is mounted on the car's chassis (with adjustment mechanism of course).
    Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

Besides aesthetics, do the shrouds serve any purpose in the output.
      *CLICK BELOW ON WHAT YOU WANT TO SEE*

2014 Nissan Sentra Quads w/ XB Fogs

DSC_9349 by Sam Colt, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by satrya View Post
        How about mounting them directly on the front clip of your car, and then worry about water resistance afterwards?

Meaning you can build a housing after the fact, once the array is mounted on the car's chassis (with adjustment mechanism of course).
        Yeah... no. I don't have the means or knowledge to do that, plus I want to have a single, removable unit.
        Originally posted by HK45 View Post
        No, they're just there to pretty up things. I will have to trim the shrouds a lot to fit them, so I'll probably just use the silvery bits. The MDX headlights slant inwards at the bottom and the Galant ones slant inwards at the top, so there are some severe geometry issues that need to be sorted if the whole thing is to be used.

OEM halogen reflector headlights | Osram Rallye H7 65W low beams | Philips Vision H1 55W high beams | Pre-facelift orange indicators

Retrofits in progress: MDX LED retrofit | RX350/EvoX-R quad w/'moto HD relay, Mitsubishi gen4 ballasts and selectable quad wiring (needs lots of fixing)

My retrofits

Comment

Originally posted by HK45 View Post
          I would be very surprised if it did, given the position relative to the lenses.

Comment

Originally posted by csjoh View Post
            Yeah... no. I don't have the means or knowledge to do that, plus I want to have a single, removable unit.
            Yes, I agree. But I mean imagine working out the adjustable mount direct to the front clip, and then build the housing around the mounted unit. Kind of like how I built a metal frame around my foglight retrofit, figure out how it is mounted as well as how it is aligned, and then build a skin out of sheet aluminum around the frame, plus a glass front.

Comment

Done yet?

Comment

I would be very surprised if it did, given the position relative to the lenses.
                The only impact they would have on the output, would be limiting glare emitting from behind the front of the lens. The design is quite open and running the lights naked would generate so much glare I could blind people overseas.

Yes, I agree. But I mean imagine working out the adjustable mount direct to the front clip, and then build the housing around the mounted unit. Kind of like how I built a metal frame around my foglight retrofit, figure out how it is mounted as well as how it is aligned, and then build a skin out of sheet aluminum around the frame, plus a glass front.
                Yeah... but still no.

Originally posted by spreng37 View Post
                Done yet?
                Nope!

I only got the one MDX lamp open last night and didn't even open my JDM Galant lights. The housing I showed it in is an OEM Eurospec two-piece light I have lying around just for purposes like this. The JDM one-piece lights are so dirty and full of old filth that I have to clean them up properly before I even open them. I'll get that done tonight and maybe start working out how I'll get the adjusters working, trim the cooling fins a bit and see if I can jam the array inside the Galant housing and get the lens on. I'd rather not modify the housing unless I absolutely have to, but if that's what's required, then I better learn plastic welding quickly. In two weeks I'm getting a new retrofit job for a paying customer - not that this MDX project has a due date or anything...

My retrofits

Comment

Can't wait to see the result of this

Comment

Looking at the pictures, I think I'll have to heat and reshape the rear of the housing quite a bit... or cut it and plastic weld on an inch or so to be able to get the lens back on.

My retrofits

Comment

YOU CAN DO IT!

We all have faith in you lol
                      *CLICK BELOW ON WHAT YOU WANT TO SEE*

2014 Nissan Sentra Quads w/ XB Fogs

DSC_9349 by Sam Colt, on Flickr

Comment

Of course I can do it, I just need a little time to figure out how to do it

My retrofits

Comment

Ive been waiting to see someone retrofit these. Awesome dude!!!

Comment

In for pics.

Comment

subs.... i prefer the housing trimming/heat-shape/heat-weld/cut instead of too many shaving of the LED body......

with plastic headlamp housing u can easily patch back when everything is mounted properly....but if too many cuts on the LED heatsink/body it might compromise something else...

Comment

Working...
                              X