gold94corolla's IS300 Build

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gold94corolla's IS300 Build

Well, it has been a very long time since I posted anything about what I'm doing with my car. You all probably know that I got rid of my quad FX-Rs in favor of a simpler, cleaner retrofit. I also changed the rear lights to BMW e36 and I put LEDs inside. I don't have DIYs made up yet, but they are coming!

However, before I got to enjoy it much, my engine died. Here is a video of the car taking it's last breaths.

http://video.cardomain.com/VideoPlayer.aspx?id=2218785

So I am parting out the car, stripping it down of anything useful and putting stock parts back on. I've already sold the suspension.

Sad, I know, but the sadness was short lived! Because a month later, I found my all-time favorite car..... the IS300! So much sportier and more luxurious in every single way. Plus, the IS has auto-leveling HID reflector low beams!

So this is my new project car. I'm keeping it stock for a while because it is so enjoyable the way it is. My first change was to put some old LEDs the license plate lights lol. I'll convert the interior to LED also, but I'll probably start with other mods like exhaust and suspension. I don't really have any plans to retrofit projectors in the head lights, since it already has HID. The reflector design casts plenty of light (no cutoff) so it is nice to drive. I kinda miss bixenons, projectors, etc, but oh well for now. The car also has yellow projector fogs. I'm not sure about LED tails, either. I'll probably do halos in the head lights though for sure (and a blackout).

Just wanted to give you an update, as I've been missing in action here since about last November lol.
    Last edited by gold94corolla; October 13th, 2011, 12:46 PM.

nice man, old car was great and all with clean retro, but its good to move on to better things. i really like the reflector hids on that car, prolly some of the best and looks sick with yellow fogs. output is nice and white/bright.

Comment

I cant blame you for upgrading the IS 300 is a beautiful car.. funny ..the same color as your corolla. Good luck Chris !!! Can't wait to see what you have up your sleeve for a retro !!!!!!

Glenn
      2009 Toyota Camry SE.
      MDX D2S Projector Retrofit, Phillips 85122+ Bulbs, Xenon Depot 35W Digital Ballasts, TSX-R Clear lenses. R/S Relay wireharness.

Glenn
      My Feedback
      http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/view...=407742#407742

Comment

hey this reminds me of what happened to me! except my only interntion after my old car died, was to get something that was factory boosted,,, i found my car for a great price and bam, i like the is300, slow but eh who cares, they truely are a luxury comfortable pure DD

Comment

Guess its time for a name change haha
          Write Something....../

Comment

Nice ride. I've seen your quad FX, I think it's time to take it a notch with the new ride. How about quad TL, or RX350 Bi-X?

Come on man.......
            FEEDBACK THREAD
            00-03 Nissan Maxima HID Retrofit
            6th gen AV6 FX35 Retrofit
            Chassis and Suspension
            2000 Sunlit Sand Maxima SE 5Spd.

Comment

Looks good man! Just get some CBIs and call the lights good.

05 300C - 15 Taurus SHO

Comment

nice car dude.
                2014 RAM 1500 Express RCSB 2WD- FX-R/CBI's/50W MORIMOTO
                1989 Chevy S-10 5 speed

Comment

congrats on the new car, same old color! The gauge cluster on the first gen IS's I always thought was cool. I like the ball shifter too

very nice upgrade indeed though, gotta love the factory Densos too - prime for a retro

Lexus GS350 F Sport : Skipper Designs Front Lip : Rotiform BLQ Concave : Michelin PSS : Brembo GT 380mm : RSR Suspension : GS350/STi-R Bi-xenon
                  * For any inquiries please e-mail TRSMatt@TheRetrofitSource.com, PM's = not a good way to reach me*

Comment

Originally posted by gold94corolla View Post
                    Well, it has been a very long time since I posted anything about what I'm doing with my car. You all probably know that I got rid of my quad FX-Rs in favor of a simpler, cleaner retrofit. I also changed the rear lights to BMW e36 and I put LEDs inside. I don't have DIYs made up yet, but they are coming!

However, before I got to enjoy it much, my engine died. Here is a video of the car taking it's last breaths.

http://video.cardomain.com/VideoPlayer.aspx?id=2218785

So I am parting out the car, stripping it down of anything useful and putting stock parts back on. I've already sold the suspension.

Sad, I know, but the sadness was short lived! Because a month later, I found my all-time favorite car..... the IS300! So much sportier and more luxurious in every single way. Plus, the IS has auto-leveling HID reflector low beams!

So this is my new project car. I'm keeping it stock for a while because it is so enjoyable the way it is. My first change was to put some old LEDs the license plate lights lol. I'll convert the interior to LED also, but I'll probably start with other mods like exhaust and suspension. I don't really have any plans to retrofit projectors in the head lights, since it already has HID. The reflector design casts plenty of light (no cutoff) so it is nice to drive. I kinda miss bixenons, projectors, etc, but oh well for now. The car also has yellow projector fogs. I'm not sure about LED tails, either. I'll probably do halos in the head lights though for sure (and a blackout).

Just wanted to give you an update, as I've been missing in action here since about last November lol.
                    You can always do MH1 or D2S in the stock reflectors... And they'll auto level too

Comment

Originally posted by gearbox View Post
                      nice man, old car was great and all with clean retro, but its good to move on to better things. i really like the reflector hids on that car, prolly some of the best and looks sick with yellow fogs. output is nice and white/bright.
                      Yeah, the IS300 is so much more of a car STOCK than I could ever make the Corolla lol. Gotta love OEM luxury and sport. The retro was great and fun (and sellable this time haha). but you are right, the reflector HIDs on the IS are awesome. Especially watching them go up and down at first lol. They are very bright and white, but the left bulb is OEM and noticeably dimmer and bluer. So I'll be putting some new bulbs in. CBI probably lol. A little more glare I suppose going from D2R to D2S bulbs, but it is possible. It sure is nice though not having a cutoff, so now I can see all down the road, but the lights are still aimed low enough to never glare anyone (unlike with flicker effect with projectors) so now I don't feel like a jerk at night, cringing over every hill haha!

And the yellow fogs don't do much, but they are so classic for the IS300, especially paired with the mean-looking reflector HIDs. I love it! I'd never have yellow fogs on any other car, but since they are stock, they stay yellow. Unlike with the Corolla, I actually want the IS to look like an IS lol. Both day and night.

Originally posted by Glenn14 View Post
                      I cant blame you for upgrading the IS 300 is a beautiful car.. funny ..the same color as your corolla. Good luck Chris !!! Can't wait to see what you have up your sleeve for a retro !!!!!!

Glenn
                      Thanks Glenn! It is NO coincidence that I got an IS300 with the same color. But this time, the color is OEM, so now it is blue inside the doors, under the hood, etc. You don't know how happy I am to see blue there FINALLY. lol

But I don't want to retrofit it (well you know I do haha ) because I really like the look of the HID reflectors, and they seem to function very well at night. Plus, I'm afraid that if I put projectors in there, it won't look like an IS300 anymore at night

Originally posted by sl2man View Post
                      hey this reminds me of what happened to me! except my only interntion after my old car died, was to get something that was factory boosted,,, i found my car for a great price and bam, i like the is300, slow but eh who cares, they truely are a luxury comfortable pure DD
                      So, you got an IS? Or did you get something boosted? You say the IS is slow? Well this thing is a rocket compared to my 250,000-mile Corolla, that's for sure haha But it is definitely a great DD. Well except for the premium gas and 22 MPG But I drive on SPG (smiles per gallon) lol

Originally posted by oVerRateD View Post
                      Guess its time for a name change haha
                      Nah, never! I'll never change the name! The Corolla lives on in infamy forever haha. Besides, my car hasn't been gold-colored since before I joined this forum LOL. I didn't change it to blue94corolla, now did I?

Originally posted by MSU200 View Post
                      Nice ride. I've seen your quad FX, I think it's time to take it a notch with the new ride. How about quad TL, or RX350 Bi-X?

Come on man.......
                      haha, I hear you. The Corolla had tiny/thin head lights. The IS has much bigger lights, plenty of room for Q45, L430/460, TL, whatever you can throw at it. It is tempting, but I really like the stock HID reflectors. I miss the bixenon though

Originally posted by JL-KA View Post
                      Looks good man! Just get some CBIs and call the lights good.
                      You're on to me already LOL. I've been stalking all these CBI threads. One of my HIDs is still the original bulb, so it is blue and dim. I'm going to try my Morimoto 5000Ks in there first, since I have nothing else to do with them. But the OEM 4300K is already pure white in the reflectors, no more FX-Rs to yellow them up. So I'm cautious about going bluer. It might look good though, but I like the white light at night.

Originally posted by TRSMatt View Post
                      congrats on the new car, same old color! The gauge cluster on the first gen IS's I always thought was cool. I like the ball shifter too

very nice upgrade indeed though, gotta love the factory Densos too - prime for a retro
                      Yep, almost the same color. It is a little darker blue now, which I couldn't decide for the Corolla. I was kinda tired of the flashy Matchbox blue, I wanted something more subtle. I got it lol.

I bough this car (well got interested in it at first) based solely on the exterior appearance. I had no idea that it was a sports car, or had HIDs, or the interior, or the engine. Just the looks. So, when I saw the interior (and that gauge cluster) I went crazy haha. Such a unique interior, and nothing bland or boring about it.

And you bet I love my OEM Densos I was going to buy some for the Corolla after seeing videos of the warmup on YouTube. Glad I didn't buy them now! But yeah, while my goal was to replace every single part on the Corolla with an upgrade, the opposite is true on the IS. Including the HID ballasts haha I'm such a nerd.

Originally posted by followingnfront View Post
                      You can always do MH1 or D2S in the stock reflectors... And they'll auto level too
                      No need to quote everything bro haha.

Yeah if I do a retro, it will definitely be autoleveling. But I'm afraid that those cheap projectors will give me less quality light. Plus, you KNOW that I'm capable of much more than plug-and play retro. Also, those projectors will look tiny in the head lights.

So thanks all for the comments! I am glad of my choice, God has been good to me

Comment

cbi bulbs ftw!

Comment

i got an ion redline, i love it too, so nice going from a 94sl2 to a 2004 redline. and yeah, i think my sl2 wouldve beat an is300, although i never raced one lol. i dont do much racing but this kid insisted on racing so we went and i smoked him, is300, auto from like a 30 roll

Comment

those redline were nice too. didnt get much attention when they came out for some reason.

Comment

well I think the Saturn brand is the reason for that (no offense) lol

Comment

Working...
                              X