Rework for my 09 Civic Retrofit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rework for my 09 Civic Retrofit

Hi everyone! I'm back! For peoples who knows me, just trying to say Hi! For those don't knows me, I'm just a very stupid piggy whom work actively on headlight retrofit and LED works..... many years ago.

I been out of the retrofit business for quite some time, but I guess it's really time for me to rework the headlight one last time on my really old civic.... The car already with 230K miles, so I guess if I'm not work on it now, the car may be gone before I work on it. So, here we go.....

Work schedule been really busy, so it going to be a long built time, and hope you guys not going to lose interest on it.

Look at my HID / Lighting works at Stupidpig HID | Facebook

Now the first thing I did on this holiday.... Making jig for mounting and aiming.....

The projector I'm going to use is the M-LED, which I brought on the release day and so far been sitting in my garage for more than a year collecting dust.... I decided to make my own mounting jig based on the acrylic template I saw on the web.... (yeah, I know I'm cheap for not paying $80 to buy one, but copycat it. (^.^)

Comment

And also made a aiming jig with some scrape boards.....

Last edited by StupidPig; July 18th, 2020, 06:16 PM.

Comment

Alright, everytime I want to start working on my way overdue project, work started getting busy and screw up my plan... After a year, start to working on my turn signal this time....

Here is a proof of concept....

Comment

Some more pics for the turn signal panel

This is a proof of concept, so I just solder a couple LED strips together. I made a pcb and waiting for the factory to ship. The controller is a ESP32 dev board, and I made an android app to allow control using BLE. The cover is 3d-printed, the black one is PLA and obviously it won't last under sunlight, so I print another one (the orange one) with PETG and seems working fine.
          Last edited by StupidPig; July 18th, 2020, 06:14 PM.

Comment

The PCB is in, but than still waiting for other components to be shipped from China, so I just did some dry fit for all the thru-hole components I have on hand. The controller board is designed to take five optp-isolated inputs (top left on the board, Right Turn, Left Turn, Marker, Low Beam, High Beam), and it will need Battery and Ground inputs (middle left on board) too. Since the APA102C LED and the ESP32 Dev board I used are taking 5V power, I also has a 4-wires connectors (bottom left on board) to hook up an automotive 10A 5v regulator.

The right side connectors on the board are for outputs. The bottom 4 wires are for the APA102C strings, and I also added an extra 5V/Gnd output on the top, which switchable from the ESP32 code, in case I want to drive other LED besides the RGB string, for example, some white LED for DRL.

The size of the controller board is a bit larger than I want, which should be able to sink quite a bit if I used more SMD components, but I guess I'm better to just use whatever components I had on hand is a more economic, for a one-time built.

Comment

Interesting project.

Pictures from the first few posts don't show up for me, btw. But post #6 pictures are visible.
              Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

Oh, thanks for letting me knows about the pictures not working. Guess linking to google photo directly not working for other. I relink the pic to facebook photo like I did for post#6, hope this ok now.

Comment

They're visible now. If you link to google photos, it needs to be visible to others in the share setting. I use google photos for forum post images.
                  Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

Nice to see you're still working on stuff! Looking forward to the results

Comment

Are the APA102C's more dependable than the usual WS/SK2812 type addressable LEDs?
                      Originally posted by HK45
                      I don't even look to see what Eddie writes anymore. I'm too busy staring at his avatar.

Comment

Originally posted by gold94corolla View Post
                        Nice to see you're still working on stuff! Looking forward to the results
                        haha, I know Covid-19 is not something we should thanks, but it did give me some timeoff from work.

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie View Post
                          Are the APA102C's more dependable than the usual WS/SK2812 type addressable LEDs?
                          I don't think it's more dependable, but I just rather to having the CLK wire to control timing on pushing the signals out from the mcu, than depends on fixed timing using single wire, as in the case of WS2812.

Comment

Most components are in, and tried to fill the board, but than realized I may be getting too old now to place those tiny SMD.... guess need to visit eye doctor and get new pair of glasses. lol

Comment

ummm, I may have to give up on the LED panel.... Those LED very difficult to reflow and damaged a few due to the oven too hot. Already screw up two boards, lost almost 60 LED already.

Comment

Working...
                              X