Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LED "HID" kit

Hey guys,

i wonder if someone put those LED "HID" bulbs in a projector headlight?
    like this:

or this

they come with ballasts, so i think thats why they are always offered as "HID"
    Im interested in some output shots.

Yes. Not the same bulb, but expect similar output.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Too lazy to browse HK45's mega-long output shot comparison thread?

Try the HIDP Projector Output Comparison App!

Comment

LED in hid/halogen projectors does not give a good output.
      Octa projectors, eight OEM bulbs, ~30,000lm , and 169 degrees of driving heaven!

Comment

@ileopard,

looks like a lot of glare above the cutoff. Do you have some more shots of this? Your video helped me a lot. Thanks

Comment

I can't take credit for that video as it's emerica243's. I came across that particular video while snooping through his YouTube channel haha

I wouldn't worry much about the glare above the cutoff as it's pretty insignificant but I would worry about the excessive foreground.

Comment

Originally posted by ileopard View Post

I wouldn't worry much about the glare above the cutoff as it's pretty insignificant but I would worry about the excessive foreground.
            You mean that they will not shine so far? Sorry my english is not the best

Comment

Whatever light right under the cutoff (the most usable light) will be dwarfed by the overpowering foreground. In essence, you'll be left with short distance visibility.

Comment

you got it exactly right. led bulbs have a consistent problem where they put all the light directly in front of the car, and the light doesn't reach as far down the road compared to it's hid or halogen counter parts.

but because all the light is directly in front of the car, it appears brighter to un-informed persons.
                The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time

Comment

tl;dr- its crap. stick to a HID retrofit
                  There are two kinds of light - the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures. -James Thurber

1998 Ford F-150 | FX-R 2.1 / Philips 85122XV C1 / Matsushita Gen5 | Philips LumiLEDs | Plasmaglow Fire & Ice

Comment

Thats interesting, you helped me a lot, thanks
                    So they are just useful as drl?

Comment

i believe their main use is to separate hard-earned money from the lesser-informed...
                      The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time

Comment

Originally posted by soundman98 View Post
                        i believe their main use is to separate hard-earned money from the lesser-informed...
                        Well i think you will be right with this

Comment

Originally posted by soundman98 View Post
                          +1, agreed

Originally posted by BennyK20 View Post
                          So they are just useful as drl?
                          yes they would make great DRL, however you could a similar preforming DRL for far less $$$$
                          Octa projectors, eight OEM bulbs, ~30,000lm , and 169 degrees of driving heaven!

Comment

Don't bother.

I tried a 9005/HB3 LED for high beam and the output was these:
                            20141030_211500.jpg

Where it should be these (Osram Halogen NBP):
                            20141108_201754.jpg

Looking at the headlights, it looks bright, but sit inside the car and it lights up all around; high, low, left and right except straight ahead.

The sample is not projector based but the main issue is the positioning of the light source.
                            Whether it's used in a projector or reflector system, if the positioning is off, the output is pretty much a fail.
                            Last edited by regindennis; November 10th, 2014, 12:33 AM.
                            2014 Corolla - OEM LED Low / HIR1 High / X5 LED Fogs

2000 Corolla - RX350 EU (STi-R)/Mitsubishi Gen 2/NHK 5500K or Osram 66040

Comment

It would make a fine DRL if it was cheap, but really, it's just 100% a waste of money at this point, compared to the other technologies available.

Comment

Working...
                              X