No announcement yet.

LED "HID" kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Updated with output shots from 9006 Projector.

Interesting find regarding LED placement and headlight design.
    The 9006 socket for the integra's Projector was clocked 90CW compared to the Civic Reflector housing.

Installing LED's in a reflector based housing: Best results came form the LED's firing UP/Down.
    Morimoto XBLED bulb clocked in, w/ emitters facing Side-Side = SpotLight Beam effect
    VLEDs LMZ Bulb w/ emitters facing side-side = Brighter SpotLight Beam Effect/Smearing
    w/ emitters facing Up/Down = Wider Beam Beam, Less Glare then HID/almost as bright as XB3Five

Installing LED's in Projector based housing: Best results came from the LED's firing Side-Side
    Morimoto XBLED bulb clocked in, w/ emitters facing Up/Down = SpotLight Beam effect
    VLEDs LMZ Bulb w/ emitters facing Up/Down = Brighter SpotLight Beam Effect/Smearing
    w/ emitters facing Up/Down = Wider Beam Beam, Less Glare then HID/almost as bright as XB5Five

I work at a company who has a website called ModBargains
    @AFSpec as always on IG

Comment

Great how the thread resulted
      Thanks for your nice list about the LEDs, Thmanx!

Comment

Np.

Those LMZ's might have done better if the LED pads were 90* rotated. That way they follow in line with the original filament orientation.

The 744X/115X LED bulbs philips makes use an orientation like this, and their H11 LED LEDs use smaller LEDs that are lined up in-line with the original filament as well. Doing so creates almost a perfectly emulated original beam, it's really nice.

Give the aftermarket 1-2 more years and I think they will have the designs down.
        @AFSpec as always on IG

Comment

Originally posted by Thmanx View Post
          Np.

Those LMZ's might have done better if the LED pads were 90* rotated. That way they follow in line with the original filament orientation.

The 744X/115X LED bulbs philips makes use an orientation like this, and their H11 LED LEDs use smaller LEDs that are lined up in-line with the original filament as well. Doing so creates almost a perfectly emulated original beam, it's really nice.

Give the aftermarket 1-2 more years and I think they will have the designs down.
          Yep, things take time to relearn. People forget how bad HIDs, both OEM and then kits, were in the beginning. IMO the big hurdle is philosophical- LED headlight makers need to get out of the retrofit mindset and look at making full LED modules. There are already devices out there... they just need to be replicated and tuned, pretty much.

I don't know that an LED chip exists with the small die size and output that's required for a retrofit product. But they will keep iterating and improving. Just takes time.

Comment

Well i do know of one...

but its specifically designed for fog lights.

Philips have sold these in other markets for a few years, they are just getting around to the US market now.

H8/H11/H16 Homogenous LED fog bulbs. Super small, no fan, ballast the size of a pack of gum,

= to halogen brightness, with enhanced beam control and less glare. Less bright then an HID (though in many fog housings HID"s are super glare prone)

Retail for 170-185 a pair, and definitely worth considering.

Theres some weird things in the marketing for their output.

Advertised as a 2400lm*.... yes with a star, with an explanation on the back that these LEDs are 700lm each and have an effective brightness of standard halogen which is rated at 1200lm...

Sounds weird, but the bulbs to pull a full 9W+ of power per side, and in real-world testing; they are actually pretty bright. Not to mention their Homogenous output is second to none, I've never seen an LED bulb perform THIS good out of the box.

Notice the LED's are small, and actually in-line with the filament its replacing, the results are fantastically Homogeneous.

Philips rates them at 6K bulbs, but like other 6K Philips products, they look more like 5-5500K.

Last edited by Thmanx; May 19th, 2015, 05:59 PM.
            @AFSpec as always on IG

Comment

upashi's was working on one:
              http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...-for-headlight
              See post 111 for current output. Although the LED was whiter, the Halogen appeared to have a brighter hot spot. Still looks promising (although like markus and others pointed out, still not optimal due to the differing characteristics of LED vs Halogen vs HID in housings not intended for them). Either way, with some more tuning (and assistance) I think he could turn up something useable (in the same vein that HID in a Halogen Projector is useable - but not optimal).
              www.fadingarrow.com

2001 Black Firebird Formula 5.7L V8 --- 75th Anniversary Package
              Headlights: Sinolyn 3" D2H Projectors with 35 watt HID

2013 Blue Mustang GT 5.0 V8 Premium
              Headlights: Stock D3S Bi-Xenon

Comment

Looking at theze things, they don't seem to work well with the freeform headlights of today. They would probably work well with a setup that had a front shroud(forgot what they were called, but say the style seen on Neons) tocollect the light, and I guess "unfocus" it, and let tye reflector fix it. With all the complaints of foregeound spillage, well, I was thinking of led lighting for my scooter to replace those crappy S2 bulbs. But it would depend on cost, and how much heat is created. The LEDs that our transit busses use(4x6 housing) have pretty crappy spread.
                Lifes a laughand death is the joke.

Comment

Working...
                X