LED DRL build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LED DRL build

Right so i've been working on this pretty easy project.. But hey.. Its a big thing for me so i just thought i'd share.. Built an LED DRL from LED strips.. Don't know the chips used in this strip but its rumored to produce 11000 lumens per foot.. So i took like three strips of 27 chips each (to lazy to get up and measure the actual length) used Arctic Alumina thermal adhesive (good stuff) as an extra adhesive layer (not needed since there is adhesive on the back of the strip just for added peace of mind) on an aluminum fin type Heat sink.. Plus 3 40x40mm 0.5 watt EBM Papst Fans for heat dissipation since the whole setup would be in a closed headlight unit.. Wired them in parallel with the LEDs.. How reliable are they? Only time will tell but the whole project cost me about $ 200 so lets see.. Unfortunately i didn't take any pics while doing the project but i do have the finished products.. The pics..
    Attached Files

Fx-R 3.0 2.5"|Lexus Gx 460 high beam|Denso D2S Slim|Osram D2S CBI|Toshiba 9005 HIR|LED DRLs|Cree Red Demon Eyes

Interesting, heatsinks and fans on LED strips? Never seen those before

Comment

Originally posted by gold94corolla View Post
      Interesting, heatsinks and fans on LED strips? Never seen those before
      Just a preventative measure.. Each unit ( all three strip pieces ) is 7.5 watts.. I just wanted to be on the safe side cooling them.. Since our heat down here can be pretty unforgiving (50 degrees Celcius!) ��

Fx-R 3.0 2.5"|Lexus Gx 460 high beam|Denso D2S Slim|Osram D2S CBI|Toshiba 9005 HIR|LED DRLs|Cree Red Demon Eyes

Comment

I was thinking about the fans as overkill but then you mentioned the temps of your location so it makes sense..
        Any idea how these will be mounted? Making a housing for it?

Comment

Originally posted by yellow_cake View Post
          I was thinking about the fans as overkill but then you mentioned the temps of your location so it makes sense..
          Any idea how these will be mounted? Making a housing for it?
          Exactly my point.. I installed XB Led halos.. Died in a week.. So this is definitely gonna hold up.. They were actually 'made for a need base' the parking light spot was huge and the XB led T10 did little to nothing to illuminate even a portion of it.. Hence this idea dawned on me.. Why not use that space for DRL similar to the 2013-14 Land cruisers headlight.. So i took measurements and got to work.. I have to admit playing with different ideas took most of the time.. Both DRLs were ready in like what? 15 mins? 20 at most lol.. I'll post the pic of where they go exactly on the headlight structure but u guys might have already guessed.. The spot under the Rx 330's..

Comment

there's no way they produce 11,000 lumens/foot.. maybe 11,000 milli-lumens or something, but nothing that size from any manufacturer is that powerful.. but that said, looks like a nice little project!!
            The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time

Comment

Originally posted by soundman98 View Post
              there's no way they produce 11,000 lumens/foot.. maybe 11,000 milli-lumens or something, but nothing that size from any manufacturer is that powerful.. but that said, looks like a nice little project!!
              Well i certainly dont say they do.. But the manufacturer is pretty confident.. Searched the brightest LED STRIP on google and landed on www.flexfireleds.com check em out.. These are the industrial type.. Bright white i think.. Oh wait.. DISCLAIMER : the link is for refrence only.. Not posting it for advertisement or am in no way affliated with it.. Thankyou :P

Comment

ah, i see.. 450lm/ft isn't too shabby at all..
                The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time

Comment

Totally did my research on that one.. Although they were bought for a different purpose completely.. Lol.. Were meant to illuminate my work area indoors :P

Comment

They look good! Whenever they are mounted, share some pics, and dayuummmmm that's hot.
                    2010 Civic Si

Comment

Originally posted by dreamer1213 View Post
                      They look good! Whenever they are mounted, share some pics, and dayuummmmm that's hot.
                      Thanks buddy i mounted them to the lens where they were supposed to go but am not quite done with the headlight yet.. Will get a pic of them running where they are mounted.. If i dont make sense, just gimme a few hours and i click a pic of it..

Comment

The installed pics.. Its just the front lens.. Because i mounted them on the shroud.. The whole thing behind the lens is a one piece shroud kinda.. After these only one more pic set to compelete the thread and thats of the leds installed, headlights sealed, mounted on the car.. Current pics below..
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Xxxmansam; August 22nd, 2014, 05:18 PM. Reason: Adding additional pic..

Comment

That's awesome! Can't wait to see them installed.

Comment

Originally posted by gold94corolla View Post
                            That's awesome! Can't wait to see them installed.
                            Thanks buddy.. Just facing a minor set back but it'll be resolved in a few days and i'll be back to building this lets say two weeks tops and its gonna be on my cruiser given everything goes according to plan :P

Comment

It looks amazing in there. Very OEM. Love it.
                              2010 Civic Si

Comment

Working...
                              X