Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Koito Bi-LED 2.0 in 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Hello Everyone,

Newbie here, I have been playing with the idea of retrofitting HID's and then Murano LED units for years now, first in my 1996 Jeep Cherokee, then I upgraded to a Grand Cherokee and for a while I ditched the retrofit idea.

I upgraded the 9006 halogen bulbs to 9012 HIR2, with modified connectors to fit in the Grand Cherokee housings but the bulbs burned out in less than a year.

Following a long trip when I had to drive at night and in the rain, the 9006's were barely adequate so I started reading hidplanet again. Found a set of RX350 projectors locally and when talking with the seller he suggested I get LED projectors.

A day later, I bought a set of Koito Bi-LED projectors, which appear to be the 2.0 version according to this topic: https://www.hidplanet.com/forums/for...ito-bi-led-2-0

Here are the projectors:

Here's the car they are going in:

Since legislation here is strict regarding light mods, I plan to keep the halogen low beam as DRL (law mandates low beam must be on at all times) and install the projectors in the high-beam reflector.
    Halogen low-beam turns on together with the parking lights, low-beam uses projector low-beam and high-beam uses projector high-beam

Are you going to remove the whole reflector or mod it somehow to take the biled? Interested to see how you proceed. Just remember the projector's low beam output should be aligned with the one from the low beam reflector not the high beam.
    2006 Grand Vitara 3dr
    Projector swap: MH1 7.0, XB35, XB 4500K, custom wiring
    CAD designed adapter plate

Comment

I'm planning to mod the reflector to fit the bi-led in, that way I can keep the factory height adjustment, really useful, as this thing squats down when loaded
      The retrofit in the high-beam reflector would look like this:

Good point on alignment.

The projectors should arrive by the end of this week and then I can start hacking my spare headlight.
      Last edited by AdrianD; October 21st, 2020, 05:40 AM.

Comment

Cool. Good luck to ya and keep sharing progress.
        2006 Grand Vitara 3dr

Comment

Thanks!

It begins, I placed the headlight in the oven and it came apart rather easy. Second time ever opening a headlight after changing the beam plate in a Mazda MX5 projector.

The reflector is nice and thick, gives me confidence to bolt the projectors to it, I expected it to be much thinner and flimsy.

Comment

I started the projectors, I'm curious about the second cut-off line above the main one. It's only the projector placed on the floor, with no shroud
            1.42 amps at 14.2 volts, nice!

The reflector bowl is kind of small but I can bolt the projector to the reflector flat after trimming it and the center of the projector will be less than 1cm higher than the halogen center. Should be easy to aim.

Comment

That second cutoff might just be a reflection bouncing off something in the room. Try again at a greater distance on a wall with less shiny bits about.
              2006 Grand Vitara 3dr

Comment

Tried it today in the garage:

Both projectors have the same light above the cut-off. It's not bothering my eyes if I stand in that area, you just notice the projector a little more and that's it. Huge difference if your eyes go below the cut-off line.

Comment

I'd leave that to the more educated forum members, but I think it might be an aggressive 'squirrel finder' I think is what they're are called. It should help you see reflective signs further away without needing your high beam.
                  Output in the wall shot looks even and wide. The cutoff line looks very weird though with the dip for the oncoming traffic going back up to almost the same height as the right portion.
                  2006 Grand Vitara 3dr

Comment

Well, I cross-posted, you are right, it's ok and it makes sense, to be able to see the signs further away without high beam.

The cut-off is US-spec.

Comment

US-spec? I guess I haven't noticed that cutoff before. Does that mean most of the aftermarket projectors like the morimotos and stuff aren't US-spec?
                      2006 Grand Vitara 3dr

Comment

There's "US" embossed on the entire assembly that holds the shield, so they are probably off a car that was meant for the US market.
                        US and EU patterns are different: https://www.hidplanet.com/forums/for...lds-etc/page2=

My picture is not that good because of reflection from the garage door. Once I install them I will take some good pictures against a wall

Comment

Originally posted by AdrianD View Post
                          My picture is not that good because of reflection from the garage door. Once I install them I will take some good pictures against a wall
                          I hope you remembered to take pictures of how you mounted the projector. I'm really interested to see how you aim it as well.
                          2006 Grand Vitara 3dr

Comment

Will do!

I've been pushing to finish re-organizing the garage, hooray for 1 more meter in front of the car and extra room on the sides. The projectors and reflectors are still on my desk, to motivate me to start working

Comment

I cut too much from the reflector bowl, so I had to use some aluminum to hold the top part of the projector:

It's not centered:

Space is tight in the back, one radiator fin is very close to the mounting bolt:

Comment

Working...
                              X