No announcement yet.

WRX Tail light make over.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheers Ed anytime your downunder and in nsw i'd love to have a beer and talk all things leds

Comment

Looks very good. The horizontal bars seem to make sense to drivers behind imho. Any thoughts on why the bottom area isn't used (i.e. blocked) for that version?
      Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

The vertical bar variant is my favorite so far. Love the progress. Id love to do a set of IS300 tail lights with a sequential signal like that. That would be awesome!

Love your work

Comment

It does look great and all, but my concern with all the diffusing and tinting and blocking is that it's going to make the signal (and reverse) almost impossible to see, especially when washed out in the sunlight.

My preference, instead of tinting/covering and stuff, would be to some how recess the entire thing with the diffuser, so that it's "shadowed" by the outer red ring. Just like how you spaced the red LEDs back. The reflector housing for the signal and reverse bulbs is now useless anyway, you have some space to mess with.
          Last edited by gold94corolla; March 7th, 2018, 04:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by satrya View Post
            Looks very good. The horizontal bars seem to make sense to drivers behind imho. Any thoughts on why the bottom area isn't used (i.e. blocked) for that version?

Cheers mate I agree, this would work best with the subispeed after market headlights best for a overall cohesive theme.

We still have not decided on how we are going to implement the reverse lights. That small area could be used for that.

Here's what they looked like before it was taped over. Got bugs bunny?

Originally posted by Zac. View Post
            The vertical bar variant is my favourite so far. Love the progress. I’d love to do a set of IS300 tail lights with a sequential signal like that. That would be awesome! Love your work
            Cheers Zac tyvm yes i have a soft spot for that one too! Modern with a hyper car look The IS300 tails were made for sequential blinkers i'd love to do a set one day

Originally posted by gold94corolla View Post
            It does look great and all, but my concern with all the diffusing and tinting and blocking is that it's going to make the signal (and reverse) almost impossible to see, especially when washed out in the sunlight. My preference, instead of tinting/covering and stuff, would be to some how recess the entire thing with the diffuser, so that it's "shadowed" by the outer red ring. Just like how you spaced the red LEDs back. The reflector housing for the signal and reverse bulbs is now useless anyway, you have some space to mess with.
            Cheers g94c Your 100% right . The test over lays can be hard to see in direct sunlight . Moving the LED panel up directly behind the diffuser instead of having it sit way back does fix this.
            But it gets "spotty" again.

some how recess the entire thing with the diffuser, so that it's "shadowed" by the outer red ring. Just like how you spaced the red LEDs back. The reflector housing for the signal and reverse bulbs is now useless anyway, you have some space to mess with.

The back back of the housing is pretty much gone With the LED panel sitting as far back as poss, I'll trim up a smaller diffuser and recess it and post up the results tonight

But these are all just tests ideas and a bit of fun for now, You guys are seeing us work thru the whole process

Comment

Originally posted by Defyant View Post
              Cheers mate I agree, this would work best with the subispeed after market headlights best for a overall cohesive theme. We still have not decided on how we are going to implement the reverse lights. That small area could be used for that. Here's what they looked like before it was taped over. [B][I]Got bugs bunny?
              I suppose adding a round opening on that bottom part for the reverse may match the taillights with the subispeed headlights

Comment

I saw one of these on the way to work today, with the running light/brake light and signal all in action. Thought of you and this project. I was surprised that the signal part wasn't on the outer reflector inside of the red C, but it was on the inside, and the reverse on the outside.

But I noticed the window third brake light is very spotty. Any plans to redo that to match what you're doing in the tails? Seems like a lot of work to do the tails, only to have the other brake light stick out like a sore thumb even more (it's really spotty)

Comment

Originally posted by satrya View Post
                  I suppose adding a round opening on that bottom part for the reverse may match the taillights with the subispeed headlights

It was a lotta fun playing with all the overlays, but the owners dead keen on the plain large blinker style with the frosted diffuser.

I'm going to spend a little bit more time toying with this as im finding the whole style to be really interesting. I'd be really keen to apply this on some older style lights

I'll be sure to post up any new designs.

I saw one of these on the way to work today, with the running light/brake light and signal all in action. Thought of you and this project. I was surprised that the signal part wasn't on the outer reflector inside of the red C, but it was on the inside, and the reverse on the outside. But I noticed the window third brake light is very spotty. Any plans to redo that to match what you're doing in the tails? Seems like a lot of work to do the tails, only to have the other brake light stick out like a sore thumb even more (it's really spotty)
                  Wow cheers for that heads up man! Well spotted

I look at these cars all day at work and never took any notice. But from the look of it a simple extra thick diffuser panel insert might do the trick!

Now you got me thinking maybe an old sequential tail light mod i was playing with years ago might be perfect have then sequenced from the middle out?

Using something like the longer intec high mount from subispeed.

Comment

Soz for the delay in postings, took a couple of weekend off to do a workshed make over. The volume of requests for these is starting to gain momentum again and i really need a better "chop shop" to keep up.

This is pretty much the final before seal up. A re-design on the sequential PCB is next, thicker tracks and on-board resistors to be added.

Ive wired up the white LED's for the reverse light and the owners happy with the out come. Just need to now do it all again on the drivers side light and will get that posted up hopefully in the next few weeks.

Comment

Looks awesome.

Comment

Looks great!

Comment

I love the effort you go through to make sure every detail is perfect! Awesome build!

P.S. Nice to see you back again!

Comment

Again soz for the huge delay in updates.

Time to put an end to these

The owner decided to go with the White diffuser panels for the finished look.... We can change it if he decides in the future to go for a different look.

We stayed with the frosted panel for the tail/brake light.... altho.... a white panel there looks pretty sexy as well imo.

I ended up using a clip and slot type method to hold the blinker diffusers in place... this way with an original template i can just route new panels for a quick replace/ install.

Last thing is to add blacken out the chrome sides

And finally......

Comment

Looks very good. Meticulously done. (of course)

Comment

that slot-and-clip method is genius! I hope to see some pics of the lights installed!

Comment

Working...
                                X