Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Complete] 2008 Jeep WK: Morimoto LED Fog Lights

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • [Complete] 2008 Jeep WK: Morimoto LED Fog Lights

    With my recent completion of my quad retrofit here:
    https://www.hidplanet.com/forums/for...a-halogen-high

    I have decided that now the fog lights need an overhaul...

    The driver side fog light has very bad hazing and the passenger side is only slightly better. Now I could just buy new halogens for pretty cheap but that would not be very fun right?? Here are a few photos and explanations for this project.


    SEE POST #17 BELOW
    https://www.hidplanet.com/forums/for...72#post1409872
    Last edited by 2003_sv650s; July 5th, 2017, 02:18 PM.
    --- 2008 WK - Headlight Retrofit - Foglight Retrofit ---
    ---
    2013 Speed Triple ---
    --- 2003 SV650s - Retrofit ---

  • #2
    Sweet! the mounting points should be very similar to the OE ones. Keep the thread updated, would like to see how it turns out.


    Lexus GS350 F Sport : Skipper Designs Front Lip : Rotiform BLQ Concave : Michelin PSS : Brembo GT 380mm : RSR Suspension : GS350/STi-R Bi-xenon
    * For any inquiries please e-mail TRSMatt@TheRetrofitSource.com, PM's = not a good way to reach me*

    Comment


    • #3
      Nice dude. The jeeps looking sick

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by TRSMatt View Post
        Sweet! the mounting points should be very similar to the OE ones. Keep the thread updated, would like to see how it turns out.
        Fingers crossed they are close. I will keep this as up to date as I can. LED ALL THE THINGS!!!!

        Originally posted by Pklemm View Post
        Nice dude. The jeeps looking sick
        Thanks man. Hopefully this turns out as well as the headlights did.
        --- 2008 WK - Headlight Retrofit - Foglight Retrofit ---
        ---
        2013 Speed Triple ---
        --- 2003 SV650s - Retrofit ---

        Comment


        • #5
          You're killing me over here with this. Getting closer to scratching the itch.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Yooshaw View Post
            You're killing me over here with this. Getting closer to scratching the itch.
            --- 2008 WK - Headlight Retrofit - Foglight Retrofit ---
            ---
            2013 Speed Triple ---
            --- 2003 SV650s - Retrofit ---

            Comment


            • #7
              I got to know if that LED fog will fit in the OEM one too, its the same fog lamp as my Chrysler and would love to fit that LED into it. Plus the OEM adjust of vertical beam is just like mine, moves up or down with the screw/bolt which would be the perfect for the LED lamp to align it.

              Comment


              • #8
                Gonna be a nice addition and completion to the heads
                *CLICK BELOW ON WHAT YOU WANT TO SEE*

                2014 Nissan Sentra Quads w/ XB Fogs

                DSC_9349 by Sam Colt, on Flickr

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Rogue1 View Post
                  I got to know if that LED fog will fit in the OEM one too, its the same fog lamp as my Chrysler and would love to fit that LED into it. Plus the OEM adjust of vertical beam is just like mine, moves up or down with the screw/bolt which would be the perfect for the LED lamp to align it.
                  I'm getting ready to post in your thread now.

                  Originally posted by HK45 View Post
                  Gonna be a nice addition and completion to the heads
                  Thank you! I think adding this width is definitely going to be a nice compliment. I was too late to the ROTM party though.


                  Here's some measurement shots I just took:

                  Grand Cherokee:
                  Total height with bulb:


                  Inner Dimension:



                  Back Width:


                  Lens:


                  Wrangler:

                  Outer Width:


                  Outer Height:
                  --- 2008 WK - Headlight Retrofit - Foglight Retrofit ---
                  ---
                  2013 Speed Triple ---
                  --- 2003 SV650s - Retrofit ---

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Look what I got in the mail!!



                    It's been very very hot here recently which makes it unbearable to go out in the garage and work on these. I'm hoping for some cool weather here soon. Also a little help from you guys on ideas for marrying the brackets.


                    Bracket Similarity-

                    The adjustment screw on the back is in the same place which would be convenient if the nubs on the side were the same size. The morimoto does not fit in the OEM bracket.


                    You can see the size difference here:



                    Here's how the Mori bracket fits into the OEM one.



                    Comparo pics-

                    Wrangler vs XB LED


                    OEM vs. XB LED



                    Testing-

                    Tried my 12v power supply to see if if would light them up.


                    --- 2008 WK - Headlight Retrofit - Foglight Retrofit ---
                    ---
                    2013 Speed Triple ---
                    --- 2003 SV650s - Retrofit ---

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Looking forward to see how you mount it to the Jeep. And if its not a bother i would love to see output shots as i may consider this to a friend who has a Dodge 2007 Magnum which i believe is direct replacement for it.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Rogue1 View Post
                        Looking forward to see how you mount it to the Jeep. And if its not a bother i would love to see output shots as i may consider this to a friend who has a Dodge 2007 Magnum which i believe is direct replacement for it.
                        Not a problem! The 2007 Magnum looks to be a direct match for the XB fogs. I will say that I'm not entirely sure the mounts lined up directly between the Wrangler replacement and the XB though.

                        I think I have a mounting solution in mind!! While sitting at work yesterday thinking about this project it came to me! If it isn't too hot these next few nights I'd like to test my idea out and see if it works. Obviously pictures will be taken and posted (I don't want to get yelled at).
                        --- 2008 WK - Headlight Retrofit - Foglight Retrofit ---
                        ---
                        2013 Speed Triple ---
                        --- 2003 SV650s - Retrofit ---

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Forgot about this picture! This is the Wrangler reflector set inside the OEM location. I wanted to make srue that the smaller size would still look okay. I think it still fills it out considering the drastic size difference in the shot above.


                          Also been tossing around the idea to buy this:


                          It's a bezel for the OEM hitch. Only I don't think I would install a hitch.... It's a v6 and I don't ever plan on towing anything with it. Maybe one day I'll get some rear shackles or rear OEM hook for recovery purposes.

                          Yay? Nay? I have the switch on my switch panel labeled "REAR LIGHTS".


                          Plenty of mounting space. You can see the 3 hitch mounting holes.


                          Here's just a rear shot of mine vs a rear shot with the hitch:



                          I think the bezel is very open and would need some type of filler so it doesn't look like a ton of space with this little bitty LED light bar.
                          --- 2008 WK - Headlight Retrofit - Foglight Retrofit ---
                          ---
                          2013 Speed Triple ---
                          --- 2003 SV650s - Retrofit ---

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Size wise, the smaller fog light looks fine to me.

                            I did the hitch install in mine myself when I first got mine. It was pretty easy to do actually - there is a guide already embossed on the back of the bumper on where you need to cut. A light bar there huh? Maybe, but you'll still have some gaps with the hitch shroud, assume you'll cover the gap somehow?

                            I've seen some people flush mount led cubes on the bumper, I kind of like those. Put some cubes on your roof rack facing backwards, wire it with a switch in the cabin and reverse. 4 x cubes on demand and for reverse. You can fry any PnP'er that come up behind you with the flick of a switch.

                            But you already have that light bar. Instead of the factory hitch bezel, maybe try to make your own to flush mount in the center? Or you could make some brackets to connect to the factory hitch bolt holes to have the light bar peek out from underneath? Just tossing ideas out.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Yooshaw View Post
                              I did the hitch install in mine myself when I first got mine. It was pretty easy to do actually - there is a guide already embossed on the back of the bumper on where you need to cut. A light bar there huh? Maybe, but you'll still have some gaps with the hitch shroud, assume you'll cover the gap somehow? Or you could make some brackets to connect to the factory hitch bolt holes to have the light bar peek out from underneath? Instead of the factory hitch bezel, maybe try to make your own to flush mount in the center? Just tossing ideas out
                              I figured I'd have a ton of gap so I'd need a "shroud" of some kind. Not really sure on that one yet though. The peek out from under isn't a bad idea either I'll have to rig up something so I can see it from behind.Then I'll decide if I like that or not. It might seem out of place but there is no knowing until I've seen it. It's tough to hold something and see what it really looks like from afar. Flush mount could work too.. I feel like I'd be more likely to do that over the peek out idea. Just flush mount could go wrong quickly if it isn't cut level/correctly.

                              Originally posted by Yooshaw View Post
                              I've seen some people flush mount led cubes on the bumper, I kind of like those. Put some cubes on your roof rack facing backwards, wire it with a switch in the cabin and reverse. 4 x cubes on demand and for reverse. You can fry any PnP'er that come up behind you with the flick of a switch. Instead of the factory hitch bezel, maybe try to make your own to flush mount in the center? .
                              I'm in the process of trading someone for some SRT rails... So the rack idea won't work lol
                              --- 2008 WK - Headlight Retrofit - Foglight Retrofit ---
                              ---
                              2013 Speed Triple ---
                              --- 2003 SV650s - Retrofit ---

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X