Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I do this without a whole mess of relays and wiring?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I do this without a whole mess of relays and wiring?

I have LED turn signals in my head lights and LED side markers on the side of the car. I want the side markers to repeat (or blink opposite) the turn signals when the turns are on BUT otherwise (turns off) stay lit solid. Turns and side markers are simple two wire sockets, on or off. I don't even know where to start with this, multi-relay systems kind of confound me so I'd like it if there's some kind of single box that'll do what I want. Basically hold a constant +12 to the side marker and then use input from the turn signal to turn the side marker on/off then go back to constant +12 when the turn signal is not flashing. That would give me the desired wig-wag between the side marker and turn signal.
    2000 Celica GTS 'slowest gts evar'
    1998 Mazda 626 FS-DE/CD4E 'mom-mobile'

Wait, would the Morimoto switchback box work for this? If I use the DRL output it'll keep +12 to the side marker and then tap the turn signal instead of the low beam and it'll kick the side marker on/off as the turn signal flashes right? Turn clicks on, side marker goes off, turn off and side marker on, then when the turn stops flashing the side marker goes back to being lit solid, correct?

Comment

The switchback module will turn off the side marker light, and keep it off. It will not flash the side marker light. My suggestion would be to use a SPDT relay on the ground side of the side marker light. The turn signal wire would be the trigger, and turn off the side marker when the turn signal is activated.

Comment

I'd run pin 85 to the side marker ground on the car side, pin 86 to the the turn signal power, pin 87a to the car side of the side marker ground and pin 30 to the led side of the side marker ground wire, yea? I have two sealed relays but they're SPST (Doh!) I was kind of hoping for some easy solid state magic box that would do this for me instead of adding an additional electromechanical device to the mix.

Wait, wouldn't the DRL function on the Morimoto box work? I assume there's no delay between DRL on/off so I'd just tap the turn power to trip the box and run the DRL wires to power the side markers and use the side marker power and ground to power the box when the lights are on. When the lights are off the box gets no power and nothing strange happens, when I turn the lights on the side marker power turns the box on, the turn signal input to the DRL function would turn DRL output on/off each time the light blinked which connected to the side marker would turn the side marker on/off. I really could use any DRL control box then. Am I still wrong?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-LED-Dayt...xVN33v&vxp=mtr This would halve the brightness but I don't think that would work since the side marker bulbs may have internal regulation. However that would be even better than the side marker blinking full on/off (in terms of appearances)
        Last edited by Bitter; December 13th, 2015, 10:03 AM.

Comment

If the current draw is small, it is possible to do so without adding relays.

The first thing to do is query whether your sidemarker and turn signal OE wiring is positive or negative switched.

To do this, you use a voltmeter, and check what happens when you connect the positive connector to one lead of the voltmeter, and connect the other voltmeter lead to ground. If the voltmeter reads ~13.8, then it is negative switched (because the positive is always "available", but the negative/ground is switched by the function).

Also make sure to check the opposite; connect the negative connector to one lead of the voltmeter, and connect the other voltmeter lead to battery positive. If the voltmeter reads ~13.8, then it is positive switched. It cannot be both. If it is, then there's something amiss.

You'd also want to check when the OE headlight switch is at the low beam position. In my wrx, the cross splicing of the turn and sidemarker connectors results in the sidemarkers blinking in sync with the turn signal when the low beams are off, but in sync when the low beams are on (or it could be the opposite; I don't recall precisely at the moment).
          Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

It's positive switched on the turn signal and the side markers, I thought that because both are LED that I couldn't use one to steal ground away from the other to do the alternating flash like you can with filament bulbs.

Comment

The morimoto switchback module won't work if you want the side markers to alternate with the blinker. The module cuts power during the turn signal flashing, and returns power to the drl after 1-2 secs after the turn signal is off.

Comment

On the 'switchback' function there's a delay, but on the drl/low beam function is there a delay?

Daytime Running Lights: Simply connect the [9006 female] DRL-output to your Angel Eyes, LED DRLs, (or whatever else you want). Then feed a constant 12V into the white/black wires and tap into your low beam circuit with the yellow input wire. When the car turns on, so will your DRL's. When you turn the headlights on, the DRL's will automatically shut off.
                Instead of feeding the module power/groun from the battery I'd connect it to the side marker circuit so it's powered when the lights are turned on and then if there's no delay on the DRL the turn signal positive input would turn the side marker off when the turn signal is on and vice versa, right?

Comment

Yes, there will always be a delay.

On my setup the inputs are as follow:

Black : Ground
                  White: Ignition 12V
                  Yellow: Turn signal input

Output leads are:

White/black : DRL
                  Yellow/black : Turn signal

Whenever my car is turned on or at least in accessories mode, that delay is still present and my DRL's turn on after that 1 second or so while my fogs which are also connected to the same 12V ignition source but not the switchback controller, come on instantly.

You can see the effect here:

With respect to the bolded parts of your post:

DRL's will turn off immediately when low beams come on. However, when the low beams are turned off, there will be a delay before the DRL's come on again.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Too lazy to browse HK45's mega-long output shot comparison thread?

Try the HIDP Projector Output Comparison App!

Comment

Got it! Thanks for the explanation, that settles it. Relay it is unless there's some other magic way. I might buy one of those ebay DRL modules to mess with, if it does what I want it would be even cooler looking than just on/off.

Comment

Clear yo inbox foo

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder
                      2017 Lexus CT200h F Sport

Comment

Cleared. It would be nice if there was something to tell me it's full. I mean besides posts like this.

Comment

Originally posted by Bitter View Post
                          Cleared. It would be nice if there was something to tell me it's full. I mean besides posts like this.
                          Or if they didn't treat server space like it were gold and up the inbox size. I know goldie addressed this point before and it had nothing to do with server space but still.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Too lazy to browse HK45's mega-long output shot comparison thread?

Try the HIDP Projector Output Comparison App!

Comment

A simple SPDT on each side should do this easily.

Comment

Yes, but I want to make this overly complicated.

Comment

Working...
                              X