2014 civic si sedan fog light DRL , need advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2014 civic si sedan fog light DRL , need advice

I'm looking to have xsb halos installed on my fogs and headlights, also xsb strip that will run as my daytime DRL and also night time DRL, I'm going to be doing a quad retrofit in my headlights but my fogs will just be plug n play hid, I'm wanting to use my fogs as a daytime DRL only I need advice on how to wire the halos in the fogs only to turn off when the fog hids are turn on during the day while the halos and strips in headlights will stay on all the time, then at night when my fog hids are turned off I want the halos to be on with the others in my headlights? Any suggestions

You shouldn't but an HID kit in the fog light housing, #1 - it's too small and can't handle it/glare all over the place - you will eventually burn the reflective surface of them and ruin those nice OEM fogs on your car. Look into XSB LED fogs lights from the TRS - the fogs on the sedan is round, and I believe Type S will work if my memory serves me correctly.

# 2 - That is way too much halo's and strips that your planning on - don't get me wrong, it's your car and you can do what you want, but heading down the path of ricer - halo's everywhere looks overdone and tacky.

# 3 - If you plan to ignore the advice you are seeking and do halo's and strips everywhere, you're going to need to create a custom harness with relay's to be able to shut certain things off when others are on. That, I will not be able to guide you on, but some of our other harness creating guru's, like Nuvo, or Saytra will be able to chime in on.
    2010 Civic Si

Comment

+1 on what dreamer said and yes the Type S fog will fit with some minor trimming to the OEM bracket.

Comment

Thanks for reply well i decided after posting this to run morimoto xb35 3000k hid as a foul weather only setup for the fogs so they won't be on all the time, I'm not a fan of other xb led fog lights I like a 6000k look vs 5000k, I still plan to run halos in the fogs regardless but I'm going to have my halos on a switch so I can turn them off seperatly, I'll leave my strips on with parking lights and have them on all the time with amber to function with signals, halos will be a extra DRL, I also plan to have rgb demon eyes for a parked mod, I'd I run everything at different times it won't look to ricey but I don't mind I like the lights and with my retrofit I have planned its going to be a killer setup if it all goes as planned

Comment

Originally posted by Straightshot7 View Post
          Thanks for reply well i decided after posting this to run morimoto xb35 3000k hid as a foul weather only setup......its going to be a killer setup if it all goes as planned
          No matter the color, if you don't have proper beam control you will literally be blinding yourself in inclement weather, with the added bonus of blinding everyone else. Brighter is never better if you don't control your beam spread. It is a very irresponsible thing to do. During harsh weather, people might have a hard time as it is to see anything in front of them, add to that a blob of light in their mirrors. It's a very hazardous situation for everyone. It might not bother you as much but there is such a thing as having sensitive eyes, those people will suffer very much from your poor decisions. You will not get the same width from your stock halogens as you will with the XB Fogs. Though less lumens, much more USEABLE light from them.

Sorry to break it to you, but dreamer is right. It's not going to be a killer setup, it's going to be a ricer setup, reinforcing the civic ricer stereotype.

Tapatalktalk

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Too lazy to browse HK45's mega-long output shot comparison thread?

Try the HIDP Projector Output Comparison App!

Comment

Yup, yellow light does NOT help in poor weather. Yellow light in a fog light pattern will, which will be low to the ground, but light going everywhere will just make everything worse. Don't put HIDs into reflector fog lights.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder
            2017 Lexus CT200h F Sport

Comment

Originally posted by ileopard View Post
              Brighter is never better if you don't control your beam spread.
              +1
              Power is nothing without control.

Fwiw, after my first retrofit, I was mainly impressed by how much more intense the center illumination (i.e. straight ahead) and how much more is lit to the sides. Over time, I came to realize that the additional foreground that the particular projector I was using somewhat compromised its distance reach. Even until now, I must say that driving on surface roads (in the presence of street lighting & other ambient lighting) seems much more comforting when using low beams with a lot of foreground. But when your own vehicle's lighting matters (e.g. driving in the middle of nowhere with no other light source), that foreground is just counterproductive.

At the low (foglight) position, there is a limit to what it can do because roads are not 100% flat. The foreground effect will be more critical, as it can bounce upwards and create this glowing haze in front of you during true inclement weather. (I've experimented with it) There's also consideration for other drivers, which may impact your vehicle's safety if they veer out of control off to your lane because of glare.
              Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

I was talking about my quad retrofit will be a killer setup with the projectors i have planned if everything goes good, believe me I don't want to have to run plug n play in my fogs, i was going to have them retrofitted with fusion fog or matchbox projectors but there isnt enough room in these OEM housings unfortunately, that was my original plan but being limited on space ruined that idea, I'm going to be running a quad projector retrofit in my head lights, so definitely won't be rice I forbid to run plug n play, that's why I'm still running all OEM halogen as of right now and its killing me to get my retrofit done, I've been waiting on our house to sale to have the extra funds, its been a tough road trying to sale lol, if I use my 3000k fogs just for poor weather I don't think it would be a big deal just for that use, my quad headlights will definitely be more of a destraction I think while running the fogs, it may look rice just for the time being or when needed, I've got friends that run plug n play everything that don't understand u gain better light running in projectors but they dont understand that. Also I'm running a 30% full windshield tint so glare doesn't bother me and foreground light,

Comment

Can fusion fogs be mounted externally or do they need to be in a housing?

Comment

Well that's the thing, HIDs in fogs literally will not help you at all in bad weather. The light traveling upward will scatter in fog or rain and blind you. It'll be worse than weak halogens, which is why we recommended against it.

Fusion fogs are sealed and don't need a housing!

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder
                    2017 Lexus CT200h F Sport

Comment

Well I may just have to run fusion fogs then just have to make a custom bracket to mount it to factory location, does anybody know the deminsions of the fusion fogs? Or wonder if it would be possible to cut out the factory fog back and just slide the factory housing over the fusion fog lens and then just epoxy the fusion fog in so I could still run halos inside

Comment

If you have quads in your headlights, you have NO need for your fogs. They will do nothing. It's like taking money and setting it on fire at that point. Either A) get over your love for 6000K light and get XB LED fogs, or B) Leave them alone and use your future killer quad set up as your illumination source.

I know it may sound harsh, but you asked for advice, and the direction your are currently heading in is over done and over the top. Your quads can fly, but adding the strips/halos/excessive supplemental lighting is too much. Too much of a good thing, is not always a good thing. It's usually a fugly thing.
                        2010 Civic Si

Comment

Thanks for ur input its much appreciated, I understand its a overkill to do as much as I want to do and my personal taste I think the more light the better, just something I like, different strokes for different folks lol plus ill have independant control over the lighting so i can choose to have it on when wanted, it may be to much but I have a budget to spend and this is a major mod for my car, I work nights so I spend most my time in my car at night driving home 1 hr drive each way so I figured I would enjoy a full blown build, before doing any suspension mods or motor mods, headlights and lighting is my first focus, i also plan to run a 20 inch light bar in my bumper for extra high beam and one for a reverse light so may catch some crap for that to lol but i like the look and output so since I decided to scrap the fog as DRL now I'm not going to worry about wiring it up like that, next will be wiring up the light bars lolrps20150828_125913_759.jpgrps20150828_130025_322.jpg
                          Last edited by Straightshot7; August 28th, 2015, 01:00 PM.

Comment

WHY. WOULD. YOU. DO. THAT? You are the road to ruining your Si. LIGHT BARS?!? ON A DAMN CIVIC?

Please do not put lights bars on it. You are throwing your money away. Why not just paypal your unwanted funds to me instead? Lol. Seriously though, do your quads, leave the fogs alone for now, and skip on the light bars. You did not buy a truck. You did not lift said truck. You do not have 20's with monster truck tires. You don't get 8 mpg. You are correct - different strokes for different folks, but please, I beg of you, heed our advice on this one. More light is not always better. Quads are already verging on overkill, but can slide by. If you have a good side of bi-xenon projectors, you'll be set.
                            2010 Civic Si

Comment

I'm not too fond of the idea of using light bars on the bumper either. Two reasons, having a bar that close to the ground with that much light is going to hurt your distance vision tremendously. Unless you get a rigid hyperspot, any use of flood optics on any bar will flood the road directly in front of you. Fog lights already suffer from this to a degree, with many many fewer lumens. Add quad projectors to that and you will likely by see much more. You will think you do, but you won't.

Then, conspicuity. You can't really hide a bar in a car, it's a very difficult thing to do. If you add a cheap China bar, you can say goodbye to looks and performance.

Reverse light...ehh ok. Don't ever use it on the real roads unless you really what to kill someone. Seriously, you may be able to be charged if you run someone off the road after intentionally blinding them.

Smoked tailights? SMH.

Tapatalktalk

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Too lazy to browse HK45's mega-long output shot comparison thread?

Try the HIDP Projector Output Comparison App!

Comment

Working...
                              X