Any way to flash without low beams?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any way to flash without low beams?

Sorry in advance if this all seems a bit confusing. I went through this thread already and there doesn't seem like a solution for my scenario:

With my stock Protege5 headlights, there are separate low and high beams. When you flash the high beams WITHOUT the low beams on, it'll turn the low beams on/off. With the low beams on, if you turn the high beams on or flash, the low beams remain on. Is there a relatively simple way to mod the wiring where the low beams don't turn on/off when you flash the high beams when the low beams are off? However, I would like to retain the ability of having the low beams stay on (if they're on already) while flashing the high beams (or having the high beams on). Or is this a case of you can't have your cake and eat it too?

I inquire because I'm about to do a bi-xenon projector retrofit and don't want the HID bulbs to power on/off when I go to flash the high beams without the low beams on...as to preserve the longevity of the HID bulbs.

Having a timer delay on the wires that power the biXenon solenoid should do what you want.

If you want the biXenon high to respond "instantaneously" when the low beams are on, but have it on timer (as suggested above) when the low beams are off, then you'd have to construct something a bit more elaborate.
    Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

Wouldn't it just be a timer delay on the hid ballast? It doesn't matter if when you flash your highs the solenoid opens up or am I being stooopid

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Hmmm...that might be a little over my head as far as wiring goes. I think I'll just refrain from flashing without the low beams off as much as possible.

So if that's the case, what will I need to make things simpler (plug and play) to retain stock high beams in addition to the bixenon highs? The stock halogen high beam is a 9005 bulb. I'm thinking I would need some sort of splitter to plug into the stock 9005 plug to the car; it splits to a 9005 plug and one for the solenoid to the H1 bixenon projector?

Comment

Originally posted by Hank3 View Post
          I inquire because I'm about to do a bi-xenon projector retrofit and don't want the HID bulbs to power on/off when I go to flash the high beams without the low beams on...as to preserve the longevity of the HID bulbs.
          It's really not a big deal. My car now works the same way, and I don't really mind. The longevity is not majorly affected as I drive at night a LOT, turn on my headlights at sundown just for visibility, and flash them not too rarely. Still alive! Best to drop another $40 on bulbs (if we're talking XB HID bulbs) every few years than worry too much and rewire a ton of stuff, right?

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder
          2017 Lexus CT200h F Sport

Comment

Originally posted by Haloruler64 View Post
            It's really not a big deal. My car now works the same way, and I don't really mind. The longevity is not majorly affected as I drive at night a LOT, turn on my headlights at sundown just for visibility, and flash them not too rarely. Still alive! Best to drop another $40 on bulbs (if we're talking XB HID bulbs) every few years than worry too much and rewire a ton of stuff, right?
            You make a valid point

The flashing on/off wears the bulb out faster and not the ballasts?

Comment

Any way to flash without low beams?

I'm trying to have the same thing done to mine. You would have to wire a relay that would block the low beam from coming on unless the turn signal running lights are on. Like when your low beams kick on at night.

2012 Camry SE RX-350/STI-R Build Thread

Comment

People worry too much.

Just let em flash. Many OEM vehicles do the same..
                2017 Ford F150 3.5 Ecoboost

Comment

Where I live, people drive with their high beams on more than their low beams D Bag behavior.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Hank3 View Post
                    You make a valid point

The flashing on/off wears the bulb out faster and not the ballasts?
                    I think the wear to the ballasts is negligible, and minimal to the bulb.

Originally posted by blochead21 View Post
                    I'm trying to have the same thing done to mine. You would have to wire a relay that would block the low beam from coming on unless the turn signal running lights are on. Like when your low beams kick on at night.

That's very interesting! Easy too, only requires tapping into one factory wire. Hmm, I have a spare relay... very tempted.

Originally posted by BVC View Post
                    People worry too much.

Just let em flash. Many OEM vehicles do the same..
                    Yup

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder

Comment

I'll probably just keep it simple for the time being then. Is there a pre-made splitter that's a male 9005 that splits to a female 9005 and the projector solenoid connector?

Comment

Yup, TRS has 9005 splitters. But it'll split to two 9005, not directly to a solenoid connector. You'll need an adapter for that.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder

Comment

Originally posted by Haloruler64 View Post
                          Yup, TRS has 9005 splitters. But it'll split to two 9005, not directly to a solenoid connector. You'll need an adapter for that.
                          Any idea what that adapter is called and where to find it online?

Comment

N/M...I think I found what I need. I'll need to get two of the 9005 Male to 9005 Female splitters. And then two 9005 Male to Molex Female adapters.

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/com...l#.VbJWA_lVhBc

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/com...l#.VbJVgPlVhBc
                            Last edited by Hank3; July 24th, 2015, 10:32 AM.

Comment

I believe that'll do it!

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder

Comment

Working...
                              X